Musicians...I think I'm pretty close to starting my solo album.

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Wizardofodd, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I've been wanting to do this forever and have been putting it off. But...tonight something hit me....I am not an awesome lead guitar player. I always knew that. I am simply not the guy who should be playing in a cover band that sounds just like the radio. I could do it but I just don't ever put the effort into being that guy.

So I have this idea....the things I am good at are writing/playing long, sort of orchestra types of things with lots of exact parts but also improv stuff which I like very much and find very satisfying. I've been trying to figure out how to do this album for a while and it occurred to me tonight that I should record all of the "solid" stuff...meaning basically the stuff that is sheet music...and then take time to improvise transitions and record different tracks so the whole project plays as one long song. Maybe you could break it down into separate tracks (no biggie) but the whole disk would play as one effort which would be part 1: well practiced, tight parts on all instruments but then part 2: a fairly improvised transition to the next part.

So it would be a contrasting thing. At one point, we are super tight but later we become super loose, only to go back to super tight again....and, no vocals. I don't know if this is really going to work but I think it's kind of a cool idea and I think that I am someone who could make it work, based on my ability or lack thereof.

Anyway...maybe you guys will think it's a dumb idea but I've wanted to do a solo project for a long time. I really am not the kind of dude who thinks I'm awesome. I'm not but this might be fun to try. Anyone have any advice or ideas that might help?

2. Wizardofodd

And i shouldn't even say "we" because it's more like just me. My band and other friends aren't in on this at this point. I have to do all the tracks...which I kind of think is cool. My label will probably release it but I may not be able to do all of the tracks on my own and may need people to come in and record. They won't release my shitty hobby adventures....but...I might be able to make it very good. I don't know yet because I've never tried a solo project.

3. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

If you ever plan to play it live, you might not want to rely on a bunch of editing to get your transitions. Try to record (to a click track) at least a few of the key tracks straight through the whole piece, as scratch tracks, until you get a feel for your improvised transitions. Then when you get the skeleton of the work together, you can go back and dub in more precise takes. Just something to consider...:)

4. Wizardofodd

Sorry I started this thread. Some thoughts should remain untyped.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I've read nothing dumb in here (so far :p).

6. Gongshaman

What? Go for it mang, I don't see anything wrong with your concept.
    kudos for having written material. :2thumbsup:

7. Wizardofodd

Well, I write this stuff but never get to play it live because it just isn't what my band does. So if the music is ever going to be anything more than something that I play in private.....I'm going to have to either find a different band or record it myself.

I'm basically one computer monitor away from my home studio being ready to go and....as fate would have it....there are insurance adjusters upstairs looking over damage to my house from a storm. My roof was being replaced and the tarp blew off in the storm. I asked them if they are planning on destroying my house. They simply said...yes. :( But at least none of my gear was damaged.

8. Gongshaman

Get a used monitor from a thrift store, my newest flat screen cost me 15 buck$

Unfortunately I've come to realize if you want your music played by real musicians you just have to pay them to do it. Rehearsals and everything. Can get expensive, with no guarantees of quality..
    None of your bandmates have an interest in side projects?
    Tell 'em if they scratch your back, etc...you'll help them out on their solo things if needed.

1 person likes this.
  9. Gongshaman

Wiz, send me a sample from your transcript, if you're so inclined...I'd love to have a look.:)

10. Wizardofodd

If I say I want to play it, my band will but it just isn't stuff that is what we generally do. They'll play it just because I want to but I don't want to waste practice time on it.

11. Wizardofodd

I don't actually have it wrote down. I have all of it memorized. But that's a good idea. I should put it on paper.

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

same here. I mean those assholes with 3k(that SSI paid for) worth of gear that sits there and collects dust. I mean those assholes that invite me to play and sit there drunk and argue over who was a better black sabbath dio or the oz. I mean those assholes that want me to sing, yet sing songs I dont know, and refuse to play songs I can sing. I mean those assholes that want to play Every Rose Has Its Thorn into Sweet Leaf or vicy versa. I mean those assholes that get petty when you take picks off their mic stand. I mean those assholes that stomp the hell out of your pedals, but dont lay a finger on theirs. I mean those assholes that want to pay me in beer and greasy food when I dont really drink or eat like that. I mean those assholes that contact me to play, yet have no demos on youtube/sound cloud. But ready for live gigs. pttf.... Id rather play alone in my room to my Dancing Bear doll..

13. Wizardofodd

I'm glad I don't play with your friends! :afro: I have played in the past with some people who did some of those things though. You forgot that asshole who is too drunk to take the stage when we're supposed to. That seriously pissed me off.

But finding people to play (even if they're not in my band) isn't a problem at all. I just want to see if I can do it all by myself.

14. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Solo album? I hope it's not your only one.

15. Wizardofodd

And the insurance people just left. No point in completing my studio right now. I have to move to a different house for maybe 2-3 months. When they said they were going to destroy my house...they meant it. Almost the entire second floor of my house and part of the first floor will be removed all the way to the frame. Ceilings, walls, floors, windows...everything. They are also removing the entire electrical system starting at where it connects to the overhead service outside and replacing it all. It will be very nice when it's all done but wow!! This is going to take a long time. They're also renting us a house in the meantime. The house next door is empty so I'm going to see if it's possible to move there.

16. Wizardofodd

I have a lot of material. :)

17. Gongshaman

lotta assholes and flakes out there, its no different in the professional world. It's a wonder any music gets produced at all...when you hear really good recorded music, guaranteed someone sweated blood and tears to get it done.

18. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Maybe I missed something but why does it have to be played "live"?

19. Gongshaman

It doesn't, I just said "if"

20. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

See.... I missed something.