Colorado Gathering Violence

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by stormountainman, Jul 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

There is a Rainbow Gathering going on right now in northern Colorado at Red Feather Lakes. A couple of days ago there was violence. Three people were stabbed and one was arrested for it. The Sheriff's office described Rainbow people as some sort of Migrant supporters of arts, music, peace, yet engaged in criminal activity like drug use. The article did not say whether the violent person was a Hippy or if he did not like Hippies. Anyone going to Colorado should be very aware that the cops are ticketing people in the area for petty things like camping in towns or areas that are closed to camping. The city of Fort Collins is very tough on Homeless People and campers. :sultan:

www.coloradoan.com/story/local/2014/07/17/arrest-made-following-red-feather-area-stabbing/12811137/

2. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

that sucks. who was the dumbfuck who stabs someone at a gathering? ruins it for the rest of us.

3. stormountainman

Hi Sapho,

I'm from Fort Collins. Red Feather Lakes is about 40 miles from the center of town. The local newspaper is THE COLORADOAN. The article was in today's and yesterday's issues. The guy who was arrested was named Norman Wheatly or something like that. His picture is on the website. He didn't look too hip in my opinion. The Sheriff is also an ass, a Republican one at that. He didn't take too long to bash the Rainbow Family. Having said all that, I'll add that Red Feather is one of the most beautiful places on earth. It's great in the summer; but, all snow in the winter.

4. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

"migrant association of individuals" known to gather in masses on public lands, celebrating arts and nonviolence while engaging in criminal activities including drug use, theft and fraud."

Sounds about right from all I've ever heard about them.

5. KandiEmm

KandiEmm Guest

Already contacted the hospital about the stabbings to make sure she wasn't one of the ones hurt....but if you were in Utah, may have seen her, please contact me at 724-980-5268
    My family and I are trying to find her...not very confident about the police's ability to locate her.

Thank you, Friends.

Kandi :love:

[​IMG]

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Might want a bit more info aside from "her."

7. KandiEmm

KandiEmm Guest

Yeah...was having photo issues...so sorry.

8. stormountainman

Why would you say something like that about people who you have not even met? Most of the Rainbow people are nice peace loving people. The trouble makers and violent people who do come to the gatherings are always armed hate filled white Christian Republican types who only wish to spoil things for the good people. Which of these two descriptions fit you best?

9. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Oh I see, I'm not allowed to typify a person or persons based on ludicrous stereotypes but you are?

Ok, I got ya.

[​IMG]

10. stormountainman

So which description fits you best?

11. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

True, I have not met the majority of those who call themselves "Rainbow People" or whatever, nor do I have any issues with their ideals, beliefs or practices, just the same as you have not met the majority of those that you cover with your stereotype.

But I did state that "according to what I have read and heard" and that includes here at HF and via other media venues and word of mouth.

and I guess I'll be the pot and you can be the kettle.

12. Driftwood Gypsy

sounds completely off from anything i've ever heard about them. rainbows are peaceful.

13. Driftwood Gypsy

rainbows certainly are peaceful, they don't go around forcing their morals or beliefs on others, they don't oppress others.

14. stormountainman

Thank you Sappho, and what they are doing in Colorado is not against the law. We the voters have legalized it.

15. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

no offense Sapho, but I think you are rather selective about what you hear/see/believe and more than just a little biased.

I have seen numerous threads over the years here about different troubles related to these gatherings as well as via other venues.

Plus for a full picture of the situation, maybe you should also check with the local communities impacted by these gatherings.

Plus you also need to bear in mind that just as stormmountain is quick to jump to ludicrous stereotypes based on the actions of a few, if these gatherings bring trouble, whether at the hands of Rainbows or not, the general attitude will be negative towards the whole entire group.

Then that also brings me to another point.
    How many countless threads have we seen exactly like this where some person goes missing or falls victim to some foul play associated with these gatherings?
    I'm going to venture a guess and say about 50% of the gatherings end with a missing person(s) report being issued.
    While not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, an intelligent person would be able to understand that the overall impression of the Rainbow family to those outside of it is not very positive, and not without reason.

you are allowing yourself to be blinded to the perception being portrayed by your own prejudice and bias.

16. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I've never been to a gathering but I've always heard they were pretty peaceful. I have been to a lot of Grateful Dead, Phish, etc. shows and a lot of music festivals. I'd imagine it's a similar vibe.

17. Driftwood Gypsy

i support rainbows and can't wait to go to my first gathering; i've heard only good beautiful things from those i know personally who have gone. love, peace, happiness.... yep, trouble. :p

1 person likes this.
  18. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

again, let me reiterate.
    It matters little the specifics of it nor the temperament of the individual players or Rainbow Family.
    Very often the overall impression derived by those outside of the group and neutral concerning it/them, is negative.

whether it be 100% accurate or not, that is the impression that many get.

That is something folks like stormmountain should bear in mind.

plus it's going to be like any other community on Earth, there are going to angels, normals, and utter assholes.
    Just because some fool sports tye-die and dreads does not preclude them from being a violent, bigoted asshole and if you think it does then you need to wake up to the real world.

19. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Can anyone say hippycrites?

20. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

That's probably fair. I remember when I first started going to shows...there was a venue where the locals seemed to not like us at all. I asked an older guy why they didn't like us. (I loved "us" and couldn't see why they wouldn't like us and the economic impact, etc) He kind of chuckled and said "Well....some of us have given them reasons not to like us over the years. Sleeping in their yards, pissing in their shrubs..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.