GMO food labeling policies

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Fueled by Coffee, Jul 16, 2014.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Ok so we all know that Monsanto and the corporate swine politicians slither their way into Capitol Hill each morning to fight against mandatory GMO labeling of our foods. Every time we've held a vote to fight for what was right, we've always lost.

But what if,

What if all farmers and food manufacturers who don't use any GMOs in their products were required to place a label on their products that said GMO Free, or non GMO verified. Thereby leaving all the GMO based foods unlabeled at the grocery store so every shopper knows what is GMO by the absence of a label.

3 people like this.
  2. yoruichi

yoruichi Member

That would be awesome. But I'm sure that the big money corporations will spend millions to keep that from happening.

1 person likes this.
  3. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Aw tried to like your post (op) but apparently, for the first time, I have used my quota of liking posts for the day.

Anyways... I'm not sure about this and obviously it doesn't much apply to the other way to find non-gmo products (which is mostly things in the produce sections that are organic) but in packaged foods... I think actually most projects that are non-gmo go and get verified by the non gmo project and DO put those labels on. I pretty much already assume if something is packaged and doesn't SAY non gmo proj verified that it contains gmo's.

1 person likes this.
  4. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

As it stands labeling one way or the other is what's illegal now on a federal level... So your idea of those that want to label that they don't have GMO products is already illegal.

As mentioned above Vermont has passed a state law for GMO labeling and are getting sued.

6. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I didn't until now. Way to go Vermont! Here in my state they are working to get it on the ballot last time I checked.

I generally assume the same as well. I think that if there is without any doubt that the food is GMO free, they would most likely be highlighting it as a major selling point right by the brand name.

Um I'm pretty sure that's not true. I've seen foods at the grocery store labeled with affiliation to Non-GMO Project. I first learned of the organization when I bought a loaf of Dave's Killer Bread when I saw their label on the package. http://www.nongmoproject.org/

1 person likes this.
  7. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

so what is exactly bad about GMO? maybe cuz it sounds bad? ;)

8. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yep... that is exactly why I assume if something is packaged and completely GMO free it will have the label- because I don't know why any company would go through the effort in ensuring their food contains no gmo's and NOT label it as such.

The one thing I get really weary of is food that doesn't say "Non Gmo Project Verified" but instead says something like "Contains no GMO's"--- I often don't know whether to believe that or not because it's not the label that PROVES they went through the process of verification and showing legitimacy. It could be that they just haven't gone through the process yet and could be true but I also feel it could be a lie or a half truth- maybe 80% of ingredients included are gmo free and the rest contain them... something like that...

I found out detailed information about the non gmo project via my husband's work. He works for UNFI (United Natural Foods Inc)- which you may have not heard of on the west coast but on the east coast I believe they are the main supplier of natural and organic foods to stores. His work gives a lot of money to both the non gmo proj but also to other gmo things that the various states are doing, etc.--- I will be sad when he doesn't work there someday because the discounts we get on everything from food or supplements to shampoos, soaps, etc.- are really, really sweet.

I'm not gonna sit here and write a report. But I will say first of all, look it up. ;) But secondly there have been studies that have shown gmo's being linked to cancer in rats and also numerous studies showing gmo foods just do not contain the nutrients and health benefits of non gmo food. But really, most importantly, I really just don't feel like being a science experiment. I feel like myself and my family deserve to eat food that is actual food and not lab created food that's not in it's natural state. And really when you think about the amount of money that monsanto and other organizations put into fighting gmo labeling and just how wide their influence is in government, it looks like shady right there. Almost all the studies I have seen showing that gmos are safe to eat long term come from monsanto themselves. That would be like believing studies done by the tobacco companies.

9. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

A GMO can be harmless - like Golden Rice developed for increased nutrition . However , some plants have been altered
    to be resistant to insects . Bugs bite it and they die . Corn with the Bt trait is the most infamous . Since cornmeal is very
    important to my diet , I would not eat that GMO or corn at risk of cross-pollination with it . There are several published studies
    and one can even do a simple one at home - see which the mouse prefers - Monsanto Bt or Hopi Blue .

Does your dog eat food made with corn ?

1 person likes this.
  10. storch

storch banned

11. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

As far as I know, there is no scientific evidence that GMO foods are bad for you. So, with my scientific training you would expect me to be in favor of them, right? No. My intuition tells me you shouldn't mess with Mother Nature. Altho there is no evidence yet, I believe that in the long run, it will turn out to be a mistake. Just a strong hunch.

12. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

Haven't read everybody's responses quite yet..

But working at Whole Foods, we have petitions for GMO labeling every time someone enters the store, it's in huge demand. When I was an employee, GMO free was a huge concern for a lot of people. I really like your idea OP about making it so GMO free products just advertised that way, and a lot actually do! I'm sure there are still some products that don't advertise it, but change doesn't happen overnight

I don't exactly know if it's that easy to say "GMO free certified" people don't realize how hard it is to actually be verified as Organic, did you know that every violation of organic items in the store costs the company $10,000! for one mistake! (When an inspector checks out the store)

That and farms that are "natural" require a 3 year transition period to become organic farms. I'd assume GMO-free is difficult too, because you're not just dealing with the food, you're dealing with the soil, so I'm sure the process to be "GMO-free Certified" may be very difficult.

People will make claims that America is behind from the rest of the world, this isn't quite true. We just have higher FDA regulations than most countries, whether for better or worse. But when something is labeled organic you can be sure it's good. If it is only labeled natural, be weary, natural means a cow could have been on drugs it's entire life, but then 60 days before it's slaughtered if it's drug free, it is "Natural" So even fast food chains legally can say they have natural beef. This just isn't moral, but there are good companies out there. Support what is good, and good will come from it

13. storch

storch banned

14. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

I have no interest in GMO labeling . The primary social food issue is eco-sensible farming practices . To
    act upon this locally is the best you can do . And there are advances in crop management needed .

15. storch

storch banned

I have a right to choose what I put into my body. Without labeling, I lose that right. The fact that Monsanto fights tooth and nail to keep people from knowing that they are consuming GMOs tells me that even they are aware of the safety issues.

1 person likes this.
  16. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

You have Organic labeling . Choose that if you must dine from what is delivered by
    large trucks that have been proven unsafe .

17. storch

storch banned

Yes, that goes withiout saying . . .

18. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

is the label NonGMO/Conventional useful and acceptable ? one doesn't have to strategically arm-twist
    to have it provided .

personally , I will eat select GMO products . canola oil is one . Monsanto developed it and I discern it is good .
    it can be grown with organic eco-farming methods . to strive for an oily ideal , i am learning to grow oil-seed
    sunflower . hmmm .... come to think of i don't that the seed i planted was GMO or not . i'll investigate . i had
    pilfered a handful from the farm-store birdseed bulk supply .

19. storch

storch banned

20. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

" Monsanto's products " is catagorical . You have only discerned that to apply a broad-spectrum application of predjudice
    is easy - thus should any GMO be good it shall be conveniently ,cold-heartedly sacrificed . It's the same strategy used by
    those who would manipulate You . Damn it . Be peaceful .