Home Studios, who's got one? Building one?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Tyrsonswood, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Last week, week and a half, was spent getting firewood in. Yesterday I finally got back to working on the main studio. Ceiling has all been scraped and sealed. Still looks like crap but it's not shedding anymore. This will make the room somewhat usable. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the ceiling is going to be covered with acoustic tile so what it looks like right now doesn't matter... I can glue tile to it, so it's good enough.

The front wall was covered with generic paneling at some point by the previous owners... I hate generic paneling with it's fake "wood grain" so I started to remove it. The first piece I pried away showed me why it was installed... It is the wall. :yikes: That section at least had no plaster behind it, I think other sections still do have damaged plaster behind said paneling. The old water damage was that bad that the whole section had just crumbled away so it was covered with this paneling. There is insulation behind there at least so I put it back and am going to resort to plan B.... Paint it.

One of my pet peeves, painted paneling... But I mixed a dark "Hunter Green" that doesn't look so bad. I can live with it for awhile. Some day I may score some carpet remnant and cover it with that... Hopefully about the same color. I may do something with acoustic foam and/or fabric, in the meantime, and that may be good enough so carpet won't be necessary. I know I should rip it all out and put up new drywall which I will want to cover anyways. This paneling is 1/4 inch thick Masonite and glued down so really, what's the difference? It's solid... In reality it would make no difference as far as function goes. Another option is to cover it with western red cedar siding like what I have in my bedroom... This could also go over the paneling without a tearout and then drywall. Cost is a factor right now so Hunter Green painted paneling is the plan for the day.

The other walls are solid, need a little patching here and there... The large back wall has already been done and is in primer. This will be painted white, probably a mottled tri-color white, with a border at the top. One side wall will get some wall paper, hunter green silk, which I already have. (this is why I mixed the green for the paneled wall... Same color as the silk.) Plaster wall may need some random acoustic foam or fabric panels if the sound reflections are too bad. Time will tell for that.

I have some 50's vintage Mahogany trim for around the big front window and closet doors which will look great no matter what I end up with on that front wall... Gonna be a nice space. Just being able to use this room is going to be great even if I'm not recording yet. I've owned this house since early 2013 and this room has been unusable for anything since then so it's going to be a huge improvement to the house to have it available. I've already got the furniture. It needs grounded outlets and some wiring to connect it to the other studio room... (network cables and an audio "snake") I have some hollow trim molding that is made for this. It's the type that I can pop off the outer piece if I need to run new wires in the future without having to go up into the attic/crawlspace and run them above the ceiling.

It's getting there... ;)

2 people like this.
  2. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Cool! Progress is good.

3. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Members

I've got a nice recording desk on whells with dual rack mounts about 6 spaces high and sde car with room for lots more, Pre amps efx processors, Comp/expant/de-esser-limiter etc and a 31 band sterio graphic eq with a digital parantomatic eq on the desk, power conditioners and power amps for many uses there too/crossovers

Then I have nice 48 track analog board with gain/comp/4xeq/2 onboard fx and 2 aux returns and pan and cllips on each on each trach. With direct outs and sends and retuurns on every track and 100mm slides its like having a whole room full of awesome amps. The directs run to a32 band recording console with dedicated software and hard wear. or when I work alone I use and Mboz 8x8x and Pro Tools 11.
    I have just about every instrument I need excepted a percussionist.

Anyone have a dumset and want to move to Hawaii

4. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Members

I have no patients for drum software myself. I've been lucky to have friend who uses Ablton to produce high energy electronic dance music. He's an ace with plug-ins and more and more he's using drum pads or rhythm generators. And then there always people who gather at drum circles. Some are very good. There's a lot to beside for collaboration.

5. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

I'd be a lot more impressed if you had said he can produce a convincing shuffle. lol

1 person likes this.
  6. Tyrsonswood

What kind of room are you working in? Got any photos...

7. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

This doesn't count as a home studio but in our regular studio we just got a new rack sound board that's pretty sweet. I think it's the PreSonus Studio Live RM. No more having the sound guy sitting at the board turning knobs, etc. He can walk right up to us and adjust levels on the i-pad (or whatever the hell that thing is). Another cool thing is that you can get an app on your phone, sync it with the board and control your own monitor levels from the stage. We haven't played live with it yet but I bet it's going to be pretty sweet when we do.

8. Tyrsonswood

That type of gear was the big rage at NAMM this year... Everybody that is anybody is putting out boards that are settable via iPad remotely. Could come in very handy for setting levels and EQ for the room.

9. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I'll say one thing....it's a hell of a lot faster which is nice because our sound guy is not known for his speed. He's very precise about literally everything. I appreciate that but sometimes it's a little over the top. He has volumes of information on our levels in different rooms, with different systems, etc. He even has notebooks with the exact stage dimensions of different venues that we play and exactly how and where cables, cords, lights, etc should be. This cable shouldn't touch that cable because there's a chance of blah, blah....agrhhhhh......just tell me when I'm supposed to play guitar!!

I love the dude though. It doesn't help his speed that he insists on having everything set to record every practice. I couldn't even estimate how many hours of recordings he has of us....stashed away somewhere....probably dated, inventoried and neatly organized.

10. briezie13

briezie13 Members

Jeeze, the pic of all that trashed equipment made me cringe. Im feeling for you . Being a bass player, its fairly easy. I have a tc electronic b250 that I record my isolated basslines directly to my recording device. Then I send the track to whatever remote project im doing at the time. Its awesome.