Home Studios, who's got one? Building one?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Tyrsonswood, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

This will be permanent... I was thinking construction adhesive and screws.

Now, that's permanent. lol

I'll give it a go in studio B with the 2X2's and see... I have some flexible sticks to hold then in place while they dry.

Still don't know what I'm gonna do in the main room. I was thinking 2X4 acoustic tiles in there but somebody beat me to half of the stack I saw for sale cheap, so that's no longer available... Gotta find surplus/used or I can't afford it. The big stack I was looking at was a buck a tile and they were clean... Sadly I had no cash that day.

2. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Oh man I used to have a stack of these studio grade 2x4 panels, they were really cool looking. They were like a jute twine material pressed in a mold with some sizing. They were 2 1/2" thick and pretty heavy. I can't remember the acoustical specs, but they were some surplus I salvaged from one of the extremely rare studio jobs we did that even had surplus tiles.
    I carted them around for a long time, from place to place, putting them up and taking them down. They were meant for permanent installation so eventually they got too crumbly and I had to chuck 'em :(

3. Tyrsonswood

Bummer....

4. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

Tyrsonwood, are you the one who had that home studio that caught on fire and lost all your instruments??
    Someone on these forums shared a picture that was so sad to see!

I myself have a very small set up with an Audiobox USB for recording. Then my guitars, keyboard, mic set up for vocals and flutes. Small, but it does the job pretty well.
    I decided to put in some wall mounts for my guitars, and that really helped save space, and looks pretty attractive

5. Tyrsonswood

Yeah... That was my place that burned. I'm starting from ground zero. This house I bought needs some work though but it has great possibility. At the moment the "studio" is on hold as I have other, more pressing work that needs to happen before the cold hits. (Doors, windows, heating, firewood, etc.) It's going to be a two room studio this time around, with a main studio room and a guitar space... That way I can mic amps without computer fan noise in the background.

I do have wall hangers for the replacement guitars I've bought though... I agree about the space and how nice it looks.

6. Gongshaman

I've thought about just building a sound-proof box to isolate the whining bastard. I do like to be near the controls, and where you can see a record level meter while playing... like when you're doing stuff by yourself, running back and forth between the control room setting levels can get tiresome.

7. Tyrsonswood

Controls can be remote from the computer... Monitor/keyboard/mouse run off a KVM switch can be 50 feet away with no problem because it's a buffered interface. Having the computer in a sound proof box gets into cooling problems that get hard to deal with. I have a pair of cabinets for the computers that cut down the noise considerably but they are open back so not totally sound proof... I don't necessarily want them detracting/interfering in the listening/control room either, these cabinets will mute them quite a bit.

Another way to deal with it is the mic'ed amp can be in another room from where you are playing next to the computer... Or the amp in a sound-proof box. Problem with that is if you are after sound reflections of the room. Like the brick and mahogany walls in my guitar room.

For electric guitar, background noise isn't really much issue because of the volume... Try recording a Tibetan bowl and getting the trail off of sound to silence without that noise leaking through. Not possible. I can see many reasons for the two room setup and having controls in the second room isn't that difficult to deal with. Yeah I'm going to have quite a mass of cables and wires going up through the attic crawlspace but once that's installed it's plug in and go. I could be in either room depending on what I want to do.

Of course it could all be done with a laptop, a USB input device and headphones but then there's some subtle possibilities you can't achieve. Would people notice in this MP3 through ear buds world? Probably not, or at least most wouldn't.

8. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

I spent a decent amount of time trying to get my project up and going today. I have everything I need...working properly. I went to use the PreSonus and after over an hour of fucking around with their product registration bullshit....I can see why I see them in the pawnshops...brand new. There is about to be another brand new one there. Maybe I can DL Audacity and use it with the presonus interface. If not.....I think I'll just have to rethink my plans. I can't even tell you how well the presonus works because it's impossible to install and use right now. It's an issue with the product codes.

I'm just kind of pissed about all of this and venting. I really thought I'd be up and going tonight but.....no. I even got a different PC just to run this damn thing.

9. Tyrsonswood

Well that sucks... Sounds like what M-Audio was doing a few years back.

10. oldjoanski

oldjoanski Members

ouch but good luck ....drag you have to go through all that

11. Wizardofodd

I was able to finally get through to the tech support this afternoon. I must say that the guy was quite helpful and got everything taken care of. I'm installing some additional features right now but I think I can officially say I have a functioning home studio. Now I just have to figure it all out.

12. Tyrsonswood

Cool, man... Do a backup once it's all configured so you can get back to it if something messes up.

13. Wizardofodd

I guess I spoke too soon. I went up there to check the progress. Blue screen of death. :( I restart it, it won't start properly, it goes to the black screen showing options like "safe mode" etc and then back to the same blue screen which tells me to uninstall whatever was just installed. But.....I see no way to even have the option of doing that. Dammit!

Can this possibly be any more of a pain in the ass to accomplish? At this point, it seems a lot easier to just go to the real studio and only have to worry about playing when someone says to play.

14. Tyrsonswood

Go in using safe mode and remove the driver you just installed... Was that for the PreSonus? Or something else...

This is a USB device, correct?

15. Wizardofodd

Yup. The USB device. The software installed fine. It was when I was installing other things like the demo, drum program, etc that I got the "unmountable boot volume" error window. I've been trying to start it in safe mode, last known working configuration, etc and it still goes back to the error message. There doesn't appear to be any way to disable BIOS memory. I put the XP disk in the drive hoping that it would go to the welcome window and I could get to the recovery mode from there but...no such luck. I might be screwed. At least it wasn't a brand new computer.

I could drop in another hard drive I have that has Unbuntu but I already pulled that one because I don't have the user password to do anything substantial with it. I can change the root password but evidently that is not the same as the user password. If I could figure out how to change the user password, I could at least get Audacity or install Windows side by side. But you can't do that unless you partition Linux and I don't even see a way to do that without a user password. Plus...I really don't know shit about any of this but I feel like I'm getting a crash course over the last few days.

Or I could just go buy a computer. Maybe a used one. Too bad I can't just do this on my Chrome OS. I never, ever have any problems there. And actually, you can but it's shitty.

16. Tyrsonswood

"unmountable boot volume"

Dead HD.... Drivers had nothing to do with that.

17. Wizardofodd

So new HD or new computer?

18. Tyrsonswood

If you are running XP I'd find a good used or referb running Win7. I love XP but it's getting dated and no more updates.

Or... I've got some extra drives laying around if you want to swap drives and stick with XP. You got your own install disk I take it...

19. Tyrsonswood

The studio computer is mostly built and I loaded Win7 on it last night... Even though the studio room is far from useful yet at least the system is operable. I have a lot of tweaking and stuff to do with it yet... But "it's alive!"

[​IMG]

All the ceiling stuff has stopped for now due to outside work and winterizing the house... I put in one door, (double door to replace some windows with rotted wood in the mud room) I still have another sliding glass door to put in the guitar room that leads out to the backyard/gardens.... Maybe a green house there next year that's attached to the house. Cutting trees for fire wood, and the grass still needs cut every week.... Busy.

Studio work is going to happen this winter.

Wizard.... Let me know if you need a hard drive. I'm pretty sure I can set you up. I got lots of pieces/parts.

1 person likes this.
  20. Gongshaman

Congrats mang!

I've been tring to rehab a trashed computer that was given to me after my last tower went tits up. This ones got dual core prosessor ( running win 7) and a buttload of memory but it wouldn't load my Edirol Dxi that's bundled with my cakewalk program. Of course I prefer real D&B but I can't do without my Edirol digital synth, it's got the juciest drum sounds, and a couple of workable bass sounds I like ok. I really should be making my own bass sounds on the analog soft synth simulator, but I'm still learning how to use it.
    Anyway after a couple of times of re-installing OS and finding drivers, it finally loads my synths! Fucking hurray! Oh I forgot to mention, my new 'Rocketfish' sound card has an awesome pre amp.Very clean recordings, makes my old Astatic mic sound like a million bucks!...well, maybe a thousand bucks, lol, at least a couple of hundred....