Birth control pills for guys?

Discussion in 'Birth Control' started by buzzgunner, Jul 11, 2014.

1. buzzgunner

buzzgunner 180 grains of diplomacy Lifetime Supporter

Has anyone heard any news of advances on oral or subdermal birth control pills for men? I know that the idea has been kicked around for decades, but I've heard nothing about concrete progress in that area.

It's something I think about more than occasionally and I think it's a product that is long overdue. I've always thought how much it sucks that the onus of birth control rests primarily on the woman's shoulders. I'm especially sensitive about this considering that I got a very close girl friend pregnant when I was in college and, after a number of painful conversations, we elected to go the abortion route. I felt sick about it at the time have been playing over and over again in my head since then.

The problem then was:
    a) we both liked to fuck (a LOT),
    b) she resisted going on the pills, citing that she'd always forget to take it,
    c) we both hated the feel of condoms, and
    d) we both loved the feeling of me cumming inside her to make even pulling out a poor option.
    If a male pill or implant had been available at the time (1975), I'd have jumped on that bandwagon in a heartbeat. However, no joy.

So, who's hear anything?

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'd suggest the male pill would be the worlds best selling product.

3. -Yggdrasil-

-Yggdrasil- Einherjar

My missus takes the pill but has problem swallowing pills generally so I've always said if there was a pill for a dude I'd take it, I wish there was already. I have a feeling I shoot blanks though anyway. :D

4. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Couple years ago I heard it was "in the works" (whatever that means)... haven't heard since then.

5. monkjr

monkjr Senior Member

I'd invest in a company that wants to develop and put this to market.

I wonder what's holding it up?

Is the male gonads more sensitive than the female one?

6. usedtobehoney

usedtobehoney Senior Member

There's tons of different forms of female birth control, not just pills, but yeah I think male birth control should definitely be accessible as well.

1 person likes this.
  7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I was curious after seeing this thread so I googled it and came across this article

http://www.refinery29.com/2013/10/55725/birth-control-men

Which basically says there are two problems with hormonal birth control for men

1 - they haven't been able to develop anything that doesn't cause impotency as a side effect in a large percentage of men

And 2 - while what has been developed thus far has been shown to bring the sperm count to 0 in most men, the success rate isn't high enough to market

I think the first reason is interesting as many hormonal birth controls cause the essentially the same problem in women. Hormonal birth control can really kill some women's sex drive

8. monkjr

monkjr Senior Member

Biology is tricky business.

Also imho, the piping of the male reproductive system seems more complicated than the female one, there's more coils in scrotum.

9. HotPink816

HotPink816 Members

Never heard of one. Vasectomy could be an option- for some. :)

10. ScrubPuppy

ScrubPuppy Member

I don't like my woman taking the pill for the simple reason that it messes with her internal chemistry. Nether would I take any such contraception. In your case, I suppose there's no other solution. I've always been fine with a condom--seems like I'm wearing nothing at all.

11. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I have not heard of any promising developments.

Condoms are unpopular for good reasons, but you might be interested to know that a high priority for the Bill Gates Foundation is to develop a new kind of condom that doesn't take away so much pleasure.

12. sobebella

sobebella Member

The biggest issue with a male oral contraceptive is that it carries 2 risks: 1) Pretty heafty risk for permenate infertility and 2) The side effect that use would make it difficult to get it up, which of course nullifies its usefullness.

The issues come from the fact that the pill for women works by increasing estrogen and proestrogen, which tricks the body and makes the egg useless while having a neutral or possitive effect in sexual desire.
    In men, the way it should work is lowering testosterone which would stop the production and maturation of sperm; unlike with females though, this would lower sex drive and put a damper on things.

Other ways to would target the mature sperm and destroy them, but this could lead to permenate infertility, which would cause the maker of such a drug to get burried in law suits. Unfortunetly, the risk of such is fairly high considering the gain/loss potential and the chance raises with continued use. Furthermore, there are other complications that can arrise based on different drugs, such as drug toxicity and serious side effects like severe hypokalimia.

13. sobebella

sobebella Member

Doesn't mess up her "internal chemistry" any more than it would if she ate a large amount of soy products regularly. I don't recommend using soy as your contraceptive of choice by any means, but the principle is similar. Soy raises proestrogen levels if eaten consistently, though not high enough to have contraceptive effects; The pill is just a stronger version of soy really. And most is made from mare pee, so its pretty natural.

14. christophersmith068

christophersmith068 Members

my gf takes yasmin pill and it is pretty effective, but i would let the girl take it i wont prefer birth control for guys.

15. drock69

drock69 Members

I doubt the FDA would allow birth control pills for men. It would disrupt the child support industry!

16. nagwink

nagwink Visitor

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN