Anyone have dreams about school exams... or old friends.

Discussion in 'Dreams' started by IamnotaMan, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

These two topics keep coming up in my dreams (entirely separately).

1st is meeting old friends. Either people who I've lost touch with over many years. Or people who became bad, and I ended any contact.

2nd is when I am back in school 10 yrs after I left. I'm about to do my pre universtity (qualifier) exams. I've done the practice exams all fine. Then I'm going round the corridors, trying to find my classes, classmates, notes, even timetables for the exams. I'm wondering why am I doing the exams. And wondering how/why it went wrong and why can't I prepare.

I'm pretty clear on the meaning of the 2nd type. Not so sure on the 1st.

Do other people have these sorts of dreams? Do they have any thoughst after they have them, or do they just shrug them off?
    Best wishes all.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I dream about both.
    I shrug both of them off because they're a dream.

3. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I don't have dreams about exams.

I do, fairly often, have dreams about old friends.

But usually the old friends that I dream about are from elementary school and jr high (younger grades of school). It's pretty much always people I grew up with a kid as and knew when I was young in school. And I Just shrug it off. I assume it just has something to do with memories from childhood just becoming ingrained in a certain way on the brain.

4. IamnotaMan

To me atleast, dreams are ALWAYS trying to say something.
    Sometimes the penny drops and its revolutionary. Soemtimes, they keep coming back over phases. Other times my dreams are truly terrifiying. Like I'm being hacked to pieces or some witch is putting spells on me.

Friend dreams are quite strange. Sometimes, they're like "epic dreams". Really, really long. Seem like an hour or more.

But I havent managed to figure the friends dreams yet.

Maybe its part about remembering my life then. So I can work out what sort of person I am today. And figure out how I chose all the paths that put me where I am now. And maybe even where I will go in the future. There's probab another aspect, but I can't put my finger on it yet....

5. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yea, maybe that's what it is. For me the friend dreams are always from that time period but never a monumental dream...more like, just for example, maybe I'm at the pool and some people I was friends with in elementary school are there and I talk with them a little. And then a couple weeks later I dream I see one of the same people on vacation or something. In any case, I think maybe you're right and it could be about figuring things out about yourself and how you got where you are, etc.- I think it could be that for me too.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

for me, the people i meet in my dreams, when i meet anyone in them, are people who live in the universe where my dreams happen, which is not the same universe i am a awake in, which i can tell because some really basic things work very obviously differently.

the times i started dreaming about places where i worked or places like where i worked of what have, the feeling it seemed like to me that was telling me was that i'd been there too long or doing the same things too long.

i don't claim this to be good advice to feel that way. it may be very just the opposite. but then that would depend on what would be important in life to the individual.

well you know the other thing, exams, i don't think it would be cheating, because its still you, but did you get to see them after they were graded? and when you woke up did you look up to see if the grading and marking on them had been correct? maybe they were to help you look up and find where the right answers were.

7. IamnotaMan

I sort of get this. People from my distance past as a kid, are all grown up. Or people I only recognise in dreams. And also places. There's often big landmarks and stuff, but the geography is all different. For instance, the Statue of Liberty might be in a place that looks like London. It can be pretty weird.. hehe

I wouldnt say any of it is about staleness in my case. Its more about figuring out the future, partly by deciphering the past.

The landmarks represent different things for me. Stat of Liberty represents work ambition. Moscow's Kremlin represents passion of the soul or even love. And my club's football stadium represents... as it is.. a long standing recreational passion. The rest of it depends on the particular dream.

I never actually redo the exams in the dream. I just think "wow I did well before, but my preparation is a disaster this time, why do I need to even do them again".

I think its my mind saying "you dont need to do any preparation, you did fine in these tests, they are irrelevant now, leave the building and be happy and enjoy your new life"
    Its also about me trying to figure out and define "what is a success".

8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i don't really have dreams ABOUT old friends, but old friends and acquaintances do randomly show up and play various roles in my dreams a lot of the time. sometimes they are major characters, sometimes they are just extras.

i dream about a lot of weird shit, but i don't have much in the way of recurring dream subjects. i don't recall dreaming about exams, although i have had a few dreams about being back in school. more of those seemed to involve sports than anything else though.

9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

its really rare when i meet anyone in dreams who even have an analog in waking life. i can't say its never happened. on the other pay, i've had dreams that have taken place in PLACES that resembled, recognizably but not too closely, places i have been or seen more then one picture of. and in that sense, i've had one or two notable ones that took place in buildings that resembled schools i've been to. none of them had anything to do with taking classes in them. generally in these dreams the buildings were no longer schools, if they ever had been, and in some of them they did. in dreams they often have sub basements and corridors that never existed in this world. other levels above and below. oh there have also been universities and community colleges in my dreams unlike any i've attended, but in some ways resembling other buildings again i've been inside of, or been able to view from inside 3d models of.

my dreams, like my life, tend just tend more to be about places then people. and in a much less populated world then this one. possibly this world or one like it, loooong after some drastically depopulating event or long period of population decline.

10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yeah, most of my dream characters don't actually exist. although in the dreams, i know exactly who they are like i've known them my whole life.

11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

When I was going to school (High school, Air Force Tech School, and College) I’d regularly dream about taking exams – it was bizarre but upon graduation they’d simply fade away.. [​IMG]

Hotwater

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i sometimes have dreams about old places, by which i mean places i have lived or visited considerably in the past, altered different ways, that our existing world may some day, but is unlikely to have yet.
    come to think of it, they are set in a further future then i would expect my current physical form to live long enough to see.

13. Biden'sVagina

Biden'sVagina Members

i have dreams about being on a spaceship with a psychopathic serial killer and were gonna crash and theryre gonn mureder me but the gun backfires and the shoot themselves and their guts sstart spilling rywhere and i go drive the spaceship round some space rocks with the dead corpse staring at me.

14. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i've had dreams about just about everything. when i had dreams about where i worked i figured i'd been there too long.
    sometimes i have problem solving dreams that i actually solve problems in.
    sometimes i remember having them, and sometimes the solutions in them, would be bullshit in the world we live in when we're awake,
    but its fun to have the pleasure in them of having solved them.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Same theme, different context.
    I get to a casualty. They're in a bad way, but I'm very good at my job; 'I got this'...but I don't. I'm bumbling, indecisive, fumbling about as my patient circles the drain. I watch them die because of my indefensible incompetence.

I "failed that final exam" every night for years.
    My mate woke me at 4:00 AM this morning because I was screaming; second time this week. Spent the morning with a wicked non-alcoholic pseudo-hangover. Couple of days ago, awoke spontaneously after getting shot and killed.
    I I fucking loathe dreaming.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  16. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

Make that three times this week.

skip likes this.
  17. Jcinalco

Jcinalco Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I used to dream about reconnecting with a former best friend of mine. There was a rift between us and we stopped communicating.

I had the dreams and would think I should do something but didn’t. I was so mad at him I wasn’t thinking rationally about it.

Anyhow, he died and I felt horrible I had been so hard headed. To make things even worse, his son told me his dad used to pray for me regularly and had hoped we’d reconnect. He even tried to do it once. But like a fool I told him I wasn’t interested.

It’s the biggest regret of my life.

skip likes this.
  18. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Oh, I bet many people have this dream. It is a recurring dream my whole life. Can't find the classroom I'm supposed to be in for a test. A test on what? Did I study? Why am I even here?

That goes along with my other recurring dream (nightmare?) of being lost in a city, trying to find my way home. Ah, but where is home? When you've lived in so many places, you are disoriented in your dreams finding yourself somewhere you haven't lived in years or decades. Then you try to find the exact place you lived in before, but can't, or it's changed and you realize you no longer live there... So how to get back to place you were before....?

Then to make it worse, I'm walking down unfamiliar streets, and suddenly there's a huge thumping sound vibrating the ground and shaking everything. I look down the street and see Godzilla coming down it towards me, and I run....

Ah so what does it all mean??? LOL.

Jcinalco likes this.
  19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

worrying about missing the last bus or train to get home is probably my closest equivalent to that.

i do dream about 'home' being places familiar to me when much younger, or places like them, or places like what they might have become closer to what might make sense to me.

don't think i've ever dreampt of kaiju, but of space launches, and of being in some university rotc class on an alien world.

i too have moved about a bit and never owned, much is i would have liked to have been able to do a bit of farming and landscaping.
    also of building. i would really love to build randomly, which is one of the things i am thankful for being able to simulate on the computer.

and sometimes there is cross over of figuring out how to create particular shapes on the computer in my dreams.

Jcinalco likes this.
  20. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

Most of my dreams, include friends most of whom have passed away. At times that seems strange, but at my age a lot of my friends have passed away. Not many left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.