Carbs are Killing You (infographic)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pressed_Rat, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. egger

egger Member

That gives me an idea. An arcade video game like PacMan that also dispenses food as you play. Someone may have already done it.

2. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

lol 50 grams....

I've taken around twice that today, just in blood sugar adjustment.... on a bad day? like 7 times that.

Of course, ada says 15g for a low.... suck it ada.... i'd be dead before noon if i only took 15g of carb for a low. I guess my body is in super american mode.

3. egger

egger Member

Here's the other half of the calorie budget story.

Calorie consumption in the U.S. increased 24.5% from 1970 to 2000. Most was due to more consumption of refined grains, added fats and oils, and added sugars. Those are the types of ingredients found in packaged snack foods, fast foods, and soda.

Couple a 24.5% increase in calorie consumption (530 extra calories in) with a 30% drop in people who say they do physical activity (less calories out). It doesn't take too much math skill to figure out that it represents a large calorie surplus.

Calorie surplus is killing you.

http://www.usda.gov/factbook/chapter2.pdf

Chapter 2 from the USDA factbook.

Page 14, paragraph 2.

'ERS data suggest that average daily calorie intake increased by 24.5 percent, or about 530 calories, between 1970 and 2000. Of that 24.5 percent increase, grains (mainly refined grain products) contributed 9.5 percentage points, added fats and oils, 9.0 percentage points, added sugars, 4.7 percentage points, fruits and vegetables together 1.5 percentage points, meats and nuts together 1 percentage point, and dairy products and eggs together, 1.5 percentage point.'

1 person likes this.
  4. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I'm a member of the first generation that's going to be bombarded with easy opportunities for junk food consumption almost all the way from the cradle to the grave. Nobody gave my parents Pop Tarts or Fruit Loops for breakfast. They couldn't buy candy bars and Coke from vending machines in high school. There was no such thing as a college dorm room refrigerator. Nobody would deliver a pizza to them. At work, there were no vending machines with little bags of potato chips. Most restaurants served mostly plates with a meat and three vegetables, and the portion sizes were reasonable. It was rare to meet an obese person on the sidewalk.

We don't really need new diets and new research and new discoveries about food. Mostly, we need to rediscover what society knew about the subject in 1955.

1 person likes this.
  5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

^
    Not sure but didn't they start with those fastfood burger and fries meals in the 40's already (when a lot of people could actually use some sugar and fat but still).

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Fast food in the 40's and 50's was very rare and localized. Sure there were some but not one in every town. Certainly not 20 in every town like today.

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Just saying that I think it started and got promoted in that decade already.

8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

During most of that period there were local diners that had outside service... Think "Happy Days".

The food was actually more like real food and very few would eat there every day. Maybe once a month would a family go to one as a "treat". Fast food snowballed in the 60's and early 70's

9. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Which is that fat is good for you and that carbs spike blood sugar and insulin, and thus make you fat. This was actually known back in the 1800s. There is nothing new about the low carb phenomenon. Even Atkins got most of his information from research that was published decades before he wrote his book in the 70s, which is around the same time the low fat craze began -- which is, ironically, also when obesity and heart disease rates began to climb.

As least people are acknowledging the role processed food has in making people fat. Most processed foods are mostly sugar and refined carbs. The fats that are in them come mostly from nasty omega-6 vegetable oils, which are not by any means healthy fats in the amount people eat them.

The notion that a calorie is just a calorie is, for lack of better words, fucking retarded. To claim that 2,000 calories of cake and ice cream is the same as 2,000 calories of whole foods is absolute nonsense. I guarantee you that trying to become obese eating only whole, unprocessed foods is damn near impossible except maybe in rare circumstances.

For all you low carb deniers, it's funny how study after study show that people lose weight eating to satiety when they increase their healthy fat intake while restricting carbs. Calories mean much less because a person is not inclined to eat every four hours when they're eating low carb. It would be nice to see people acknowledge that, too.

1 person likes this.
  10. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Promoted how? Advertizing was in its infancy, they barely had television. Not even all cars came equipped with radio. Advertizing and promotion was pretty much limited to newspapers and local flyers.

Not only that, but how is a hamburger and fries junk food? Bread, meat, veggies and potatoes.

11. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

If that's lunch, then you have only one meal left to balance your daily intake of the other basic food groups, and fiber, without going over your calorie total. Good luck with that. It may need to be nothing but vegetables.

12. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Fyi- not that I'm a big fan of McDonald's or fast food in general- but thinking on some of the last couple posts in this thread.... one thing about when people did eat at places like McD's back in the prior to the 1970's- their menu was much smaller (and cheaper) and consisted much more of things like a standard hamburger or cheeseburger instead of all the huge sandwiches and huge fries, etc.

So, I got to thinking it probably wasn't the worst thing in the food if they weren't even going that often and say, when someone went there they might order a hamburger instead of whatever people would get today. So, I looked up calories for a hamburger there.. and it's 240 calories and that includes the bun. So, calorie wise not bad at all. And still even today if you don't get the bun I can't imagine it would be that many calories for just meat and veggies, maybe some cheese. Not that I think McD's meat is the best meat to be eating. But regardless.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

A burger without the bun?!?!?!?????

14. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Haha, people do that all the time.

Seriously when I was younger and worked there people would come and get just a hamburger, no bun all the time. This one man came in all the time and got 4 (just the burger, no bun... no nothing) and he'd eat two and give two to his dog. I mean, why you'd want to do that when you could just make a burger at home, I have no idea.. maybe they just hate to cook. Dunno.

But yea and I eat burgers (at home) with no buns/bread/etc all the time... just a good, well seasoned burger topped w some cheese and avocado and tomato slices and sometimes other toppings.

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

For me it depends on the burger. McDonalds though, I'll eat the bun because I dunno, it's smallish and fits nicely. If I go to a takeout food store the burgers tend to be much bigger, up to 2x the size of a quarter pounder. If this is the case I eat with a knife and fork because I get EVERYTHING on it and it's messy. I'll also take the top bun off so it looks like an open club hamburger and I won't eat the top bun unless it's drenched in the yummy sauce.

16. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Fast food is bad no matter what way you look at it because of the overall quality of the food. The meat that is used in fast food burgers, as AT mentioned, probably is not exactly good quality. However, I could conceivably go to Wendy's, order a Baconator without the bun, and feel perfectly fine eating it from a purely metabolic perspective. When it comes to fast food, the biggest offenders are the buns and the condiments (ketchup) that come with the burgers. Couple this with the high-glycemic carbs fried in inflammatory, oxidized, omega-6 vegetable oils (french fries), and a drink that's loaded with high fructose corn syrup (soda), and it's no wonder so many people get fat eating fast food.

Calories play a much bigger role in weight gain when most of those calories are coming from fast-digesting carbohydrates which spike the blood sugar, causing an insulin response and thus the storage and accumulation of fat.

We can talk about calories until we're blue in the face. The fact of the matter is, in the absence of carbohydrates, the calories consumed are not being stored the way they are when one is eating them with things like sugar and starch.

17. Gongshaman

I don't always eat three meals a day anyway... I eat until I'm full ( when I have time) then I don't eat until I'm hungry again. When I'm working hard and/or really active, I eat a lot. When I'm less active, I'm simply not as hungry, and less often. Like anyone, I always try to eat more fruits and veggies, but for the most part, I have always eaten whatever I desire.

I've never had to worry about calorie counts...and unlike all my siblings, I didn't get fat in middle age.

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

the meat is probably processed with ammonia, the potatoes are deep fried in vegetable or canola oil (neither are healthy) and the bread probably contains high fructose corn syrup.

I just ate mcdonalds for the first time in forever because I'm on the road traveling and my stomach hurts so bad right now. Also the apples in the kids meal smelled of mold and vinegar.

19. Gongshaman

Who said anything about Mcdonalds?
    I can't eat any fastfood burgers from any chain, wendys mcdonalds, burger king, all that shit is disgusting. It's from all the sugar in the buns and condiments, and the cheap vegetable oil they fry stuff in.
    But a hamburger made at home, from quality lean meat, pan fried till medium rare, on a fresh bakery bun with onions, lettuce, tomato, a little mustard and mayo, a nice side of fresh cut potatoes fried in peanut oil...not a damn thing wrong with it, good healthy food.

20. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.