Carbs are Killing You (infographic)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pressed_Rat, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

You are so right about cancers feeding on sugar. This is why I see so much potential in ketogenic diets playing a key role in starving out cancer. Yet these ketogenic diets are rarely discussed in the context of cancer treatment. The only options that most people see for surviving cancer are radiation, chemotherapy and surgery. This is such a shame, since those things are just as likely to kill you as the cancer itself.

As far as what you mentioned about your client and her weight loss, it's amazing the results many people see simply by reducing the consumption of certain foods in their diets. For some people eliminating sugar nets amazing results. Other people who are more carbohydrate intolerant or insulin resistant might need to go further than this, but for most people simply reducing their carb intake will result in a drastic improvement in health.

2. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Hey, Matt....

Did you happen to see the cover of Time magazine about... 3 weeks or a month ago? (Something like that). If you have you'll know what I'm talking about. The main article for the week was about....how mainstream science and medicine, research etc is finally starting to give recognition to the same things that you and to a lesser degree, me, have been saying for a while now....
    That Sugar/Carbs are very very bad and fat... any fat but trans fat is NOT BAD AT ALL. The article was great actually. It gave a lot of weight and validity to the same things that we have known for a long time.... even talked about how the old food pyramid and all the old "low fat" foods that filled stores when we were told that fat is making us fat and giving us heart disease, etc.... talked about how that has caused a lot of harm w people and how diabetes etc went WAY UP since people starting eating much LESS FAT and much MORE CARBS (sugar).... also talked about how the thinking back then was that people would replace carbs w vegtables (haha) but instead they replaced them with carbs which has proven to be worse.
    This was a huge article in Time magazine and made me.... very happy and smiley to see it on the cover. :D

3. Pressed_Rat

Yup! Obesity, heart disease, cancer and Alzheimer's have all skyrocketed since the low fat craze began in the 70s. People are fatter and sicker than ever before because of it.

Fat has been made into such a villain that it's going to be a while before people wake up to the fact that it's completely harmless in the absence of too many carbs. Only when fat is being stored is it causing harm, but in the absence of carbohydrates it becomes the body's primary fuel and is readily burned for energy as opposed to stored in the fat cells and the blood.

It's funny how a person who eats a diet as high as 80% fat often has much lower blood triglycerides than a person who eats a low fat/high carb diet. Even on a low fat diet, that little fat a person eats is being stored by insulin as opposed to being burned for energy.

Another thing people fail to take into account is that fat, unlike carbs, are satiating, so you end up eating much less on a low carb diet than you would on a low fat diet. I believe that low fat diets are intended partly to keep the food industry going because they know it keeps people hungry and needing to eat every 3 hours. Low carb diets literally end hunger, because you don't have the blood sugar spikes and drops. This is why I can eat only once a day, have tons of energy, while still maintaining my weight. The notion that you need to eat three times a day is completely bogus, and even more so when most of the calories being consumed are being stored as opposed to burned as fuel. It's no wonder why most of the developed world is overweight.

The problem with the average obese person is NOT that they're eating too much, it's the fact that what they are eating is being stored. A person can eat far less than the average normal weight person and still be overweight. The notion that obesity is all about simply calories in vs. calories out is beyond flawed and doing a ton of harm.

4. Pressed_Rat

Love this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2xhlIIueZY"]Eat More Fat? -- Amazing Results - YouTube

5. Pressed_Rat

6. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

Thanks for the time magazine link, gonna check it out. They are right tho with the cover statement. Butter has something called butyric acid which is actually good for us, so even if it didn't and butter or margarine was the choice, butter would still be better for us being it's a natural substance. I will send a link of a guy who I read lots of his stuff. Wholehealthsource site, Stephan Guyenet is the writer. BRB with it. He is always a good read if you want to know more about food, he shows charts but keeps his stuff pretty simple so almost everyone can read it. Very knowledgable man. He has a whole spiel on butter.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ca/2009/12/butyric-acid-ancient-controller-of.html

7. -Yggdrasil-

-Yggdrasil- Einherjar

That's a pretty uninteresting looking "info graph". I can't take it seriously based on its appeal of being boring.

8. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Saying 'sugar' feeds cancer is overly simplistic and misleading.

Cancer feeds on glucose like every other cell in your body for fucksake.

Glucose is the simplest unit of carbohydrate our body uses as fuel. Without proper carb intake, the body will find somewhere else to get fuel, like breaking down stored protein, which can lead to muscle loss and malnutrition.

9. Pressed_Rat

It's not "overly simplistic" or "misleading." Ketogenic diets are being studied as an effective treatment for people with cancer.

On a ketogenic diet, a person is getting ample fat in their diet, which means there is no need for the body to break down protein for energy. This is why ketogenic diets are often referred to as protein-sparing diets. The only time a person starts to break down protein for fuel in the absence of sugar is if there isn't enough fat in the diet, or the protein to fat ratio is too high.

There is no such thing as "proper carb intake," since there are people who do just fine without any carbs at all in their diet. I am not saying I recommend that, at least not long-term, but many people do just fine without carbs, which is the only one of the three macronutrients not needed to sustain life. You can remove carbs from your diet, but you cannot remove fat and protein from your diet for very long before you do in fact become sick and malnourished.

The body simply does not need incoming glucose to function on a high-fat, adequate-protein ketogenic diet, so the idea that if you don't eat adequate carbs, you're going to become malnourished is just not true. There are many days where I keep my carb intake limited to under 20 grams.

10. Pressed_Rat

I am very much familiar with Guyenet. Guyenet has some good info, but his theory of obesity I feel is flawed. He seems to buy into the notion that people become overweight because they overeat. Here is a video where Gary Taubes challenges him on his stance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hzoFgwFeMQ"]Taubes tries to take Guyenet down - YouTube

11. Gongshaman

You don't even understand the terms you are using, dude, or the biology. I really don't care though. You can continue to babble inanity's if you want, I'm outy

12. Pressed_Rat

What terms might those be?

13. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Thanks for posting it. :)

When I saw it.... esp. because of what the title was I thought of you and was thinking "Hm, wonder if Matt helped write the article" ;) :D

(Overall I thought it was a pretty good article and really great that a mainstream magazine like Time put that out there.... should help w going some ways towards changing people's/society's views on fat vs. carbs... although the article instead even said something somewhere about how people's views on fat are so ingrained from so many years that it'll take a lot to truly change things and convince people. But still.)

14. Gongshaman

First of all, when talking about biological processes, sugar is a general term for dozens of vital chemical structures in our bodies.

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

There was a theory about 5 or so years ago where glucose was being used to fight cancer. From memory they would pump glucose into the body and it would naturally be attracted to the cancer cell. It would stick to it basically in a big clump and then electro pulses would be fed onto the cell of cancer/glucose and basically annihilate it to pieces.
    I haven't heard much of it since so I'm not sure if it's been scrapped or still a work in progress.

My problem with this graph revolves around what's good for one person mightn't be good for the next person. To cut out what they say on the chart may work for some but it could have detrimental health effects and consequences on the next person.

Cancer and health issues aside, I've always been a firm believer in exercise. Get your heart pumping for at least 20mins a day and you should be able to eat what you want. Slower metabo people might need 30mins. It's all exercise IMO. These adverts you see "lose 10kg in 2 weeks no exercise no changing diet" is laughable.

16. Gongshaman

Granted,most Americans eat about twice the sugar they should, but eliminating fruit, bread, whole grains, beans, starchy vegetables or dairy out of the fear that “sugar feeds cancer" you can end up lacking important antioxidants, phytochemicals, fiber, vitamins and minerals necessary for a healthy diet.

1 person likes this.
  17. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

First of all I don't disagree with you but I just wanna say that I don't think every person needs to eliminate those things totally... just that most people could benefit from eating less of those things and more of other things (fats and vegetables) but I just really wanted to say, in response to what you said there... That that is 100% true IF the person isn't educated and careful about what other foods they are eating instead. It's defiantly possible, if you know things about what foods to eat for a complete diet to eliminate, or mostly eliminate some or most of those things and still get everything you need nutritionally. But yes, if someone does not do the research and just starts eliminating all those things, what you said is totally possible.

18. Pressed_Rat

If you want to be particular and argue semantics, fine. We'll just call it glucose, since all other sugars and carbohydrates must be broken down to glucose before they can be used by the body anyway.

Not sure exactly the point you're arguing.

19. Pressed_Rat

Exercise has proven to be largely ineffective for most obese people as a weight loss tool. This is why there are tons of fat people who do loads of cardio yet are still overweight. When you are eating foods that cause you to secrete insulin (and therefore store fat), exercise is self-defeating and even punitive. I am a huge advocate of exercise as a wellness tool, but not a weight loss tool.

Diet is key above all else when it comes to losing weight and keeping it off.

I would never recommend exercise to an obese person. First should come a change in diet, which will result in weight loss regardless if the person exercises or not. Once the person is in the physical shape to exercise, only then should it become a factor in building and maintaining health.

20. Pressed_Rat

Well, I think anyone who cares about their health, regardless if they're overweight or not, should eliminate things like bread and whole grains, which do far more harm than good and are extremely pro-inflammatory. Bread and whole grains contribute very little in the way of beneficial nutrients that can be better provided by other sources.

Many people could benefit from eliminating most dairy as well... or at least pasteurized dairy -- especially milk.

As far as fruits and vegetables, even a ketogenic diet allows for a plethora of low carb/low sugar fruits and vegetables. I eat more vegetables than most of the people I know who eat the Standard American Diet. I am pretty well assured that I am not missing out on any nutrients. But I also supplement in moderation with vitamins and a high-quality superfood powder as well, just to be sure I am getting everything my body needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.