Can we trust medical doctors?

Discussion in 'People' started by Coleco, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Not always. My doctor says my lifestyle is very close to ideal, and hasn't changed in decades, but I now need to take a low dosage of medication to maintain ideal blood pressure. He said it's probably genetic, or possibly hormonal, linked to my age. This just happened a few months ago. I eat a balanced diet, and my weight is near the low end of the normal range for my height.

I'm taking a generic that costs me ten dollars a month. Hardly a windfall for the drug industry.

The timing and the order of things is important. If somebody with high blood pressure goes on a strict diet and starts doing a lot of exercise, that's an ideal scenario for a fatal heart attack. I personally knew somebody who died in that situation. A safer approach is to lower the blood pressure first, then do the other things, and maybe someday the medicine will no longer be needed.

If you don't think your doctor is covering all the contributing factors to all your health problems, even when you ask specific questions, it's time to find a new doctor.

It's the newer drugs that tend to be controversial, not the mature ones. Every drug company always has an internal debate about when is the right time to release a new product to the public, subject to FDA approval. They don't make any money until it's for sale, and there are patients suffering and dying while they're waiting for something new and better to come out. On the other hand, their corporate lawyers always lobby for more testing, no matter how much has already been done. Liability is their only concern. If the companies never cared about anything but liability, nothing new would ever come out.

People will always disagree about how these decisions are made, because they are judgment calls.

Smart patients always ask the doctor about the track record and reputation of a drug before taking it. You should ask if there is a more mature, proven drug on the market that is likely to get you the same end result. If you don't like the way those conversations go with your doctor, it may be time to try another doctor. Younger doctors seem to be more accepting of being questioned in detail by their patients.

1 person likes this.
  2. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

To Pressed Rat: That's good to know. I like the idea of addressing the core problem vs. taking drugs that just deal with the symptoms and have side effects.

3. tonydoe420

tonydoe420 Banned

this is a problem. why i think there a many doctors who stay true to there duty to heal. i have seen an rise in clueless doctors who like any understanding or compassion. where it would seem they just wont the big fat paycheck. we most also remember that western medicine is run and owned by powerful pharmaceutical companies. who do not wont a healthy population. and i think that's the problem

1 person likes this.
  4. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, natural remedies will put the pharmaceuticals out of business....It is a business...the medical profession for the most part....but it is still possible to find true healers.

5. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

No.....Its better to trust in YOURSELF and look for natural ways... Most doctors ONLY WANT $$$$$$$$$$ .. THE MORE STUFF THEY GIVE YOU,THE MORE THEY GET!!!!!! (In bed with big pharma)

The worst place to be when your sick IS @ HOSPITAL!!!!!!!!!

6. adamblart7

adamblart7 Members

Nice Article

7. More Full Life

More Full Life Members

There's hard scientific facts behind the benefits of anti-depressants. I'm not saying that they're perfect, but I'm also sure that they're not just a placebo drug.

8. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

You can't blame doctors for everything, there's also the problem of people who when they do get sick, demanding a magic pill from the doctor to make them better. It's partially where we got some of the antibiotic resistant strains of viruses. People demanding antibiotics everytime they get the sniffles (or a sore throat, insisting they have 'strep') and then failing to follow through with the regiment as soon as they felt better. The doctors who gave in to these people should all be disbarred as well, IMO

9. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Yeah, and there's also hard scientific facts that they're linked to psychotic breaks in some people.

10. More Full Life

More Full Life Members

That does happen to some people, but it's very rare. Doctors tell you to stop taking them immediately if you start to feel odd. I don't think that your comment really says anything bad about the medical profession when you consider that these warnings are given to patients before they take them. Peace :daisy:

11. Joker8six

Joker8six Members

we are not these bodies. our real identity is infact spirit soul. We have obtained these material bodies simply through our desires to control, or lord over What we know was this material universe. Which control is only an illusion that we chase. But we get a body according to our desire to enjoy. the quality of consciousness is detirmined at every step of life, through the descions we make, and through q misunderstanding or misconception Of this material creation We falsley identify with this material body and think "i am" -"i am man, woman,American, englishman, african, indian" etc but these material bOdies are simpley an outer covering of the soul, and when our presnt bodies no longer can facilitate our desires than, we give them up and transmigrate into another body, at that time we - the spirit leaves this material body and transmigrates into another body that then can best facilitate the quality of our consciousness which is detirmined on our propensity to desire. now when we the conditioned Soul occupy any one of 8,400,000 different kind of bodies in this material universe we Begin to act in accordance with that body. By eating sleeping mating and defending our Primary neccities of life and We will naturally, seel these out. in this process the conditioned soul is to be considered in darkness for he unknowingly is being controlled by his desires, which are then cooperating With the body wich is equiped with senses. our senses allow us to experience, feel. Materially. Feelings can come all different forms, namely pain and pleasure. Naturally pain is avoided and we go toward pleasure. Of course. the mind is considered to be of the senses and the mind is constantly determining what we should accept or reject based on sense gratification. The mind of course is very complex and generally follows the senses. this cooperation of the desires of the spiritual being, with the body, which is complete with senses would be refered to as living. Now we should try to understand the nature or the dharma of the spirit. The Spirits is eternal, blissful. and belive it or not we - the soul- is an enitity of servitude. The very.nature of the spirit is to serve. Now, through eventually over time desire to serve our selves when this desire is planted within us. It then becomes our drivibg force. With The spirit souLs original position being in servitude, and the spirit soul which has partial or minute independece begins to desire to serve itself than graduallly material nature facilitates these desires and the soul finds its way into a body in which it can act out its desires. Now being in the body of a human, is of great advantage. the consciousness in the body of a human is far more advanced than in other bodies, such as dog Lion etc. The human form gives us the chance properly utilize our consciousness so that we may develop and even more andvanced understanding of ouractual position and eventuallly graduate or become eligible to leave this material universe. By the nature of our desire to enjoy, we develop these personalities that we also begin to identify with. Now our personality is developed thru our expierence and our ability or inablity to cope with conditions and situations that are forced on us. Some of us have a very hard time because our desire to enjoy is extremly strong so we will do what ever it takes to satisfy our senses even step on others to get it. Or or desire to enjoy will be checked by our abiliTy To understand and empathize this kind of logic generates positive qualities and as u can imagine.an eaiser exsistance. With a Strong desire to enjoy, by doing what evrr it takes to see.our senses are satisfied and that could mean causing disturbamce to others, this builds a negative way esistance and negative qualties. Ok ill finish tmrw ill get to point.

12. Joker8six

Joker8six Members

identifying with material nature, over time, causes the conditioned soul to develop a hard heart. this heard heart strggles for exsistance in his false perception of reality and through propensity and karma attains the postion of a medical practioner. with a misconception of his true.identity he willing accepts the Ruthless nature of the buisness end of his work as normal. So he is able to operate on the insane level of buisness that is required to maintain his occupation. in his view its not insane. And is convinced it is the rigjt way. Actually he may even feel that everything ia out.of whack and not agree with it, but what can he do? With a family and immage to maintain.im trying to say it is not his fault. But it is proof that if we dont think for our.selves than, in this case, this sosciety will think for you and offer you.a xnice deal to buy into the illusion of a false reality. Baiscally trading your soul for.material profit. When this is done, there can be no true justice or Honesty. it is a growibg monster that has of.course become out of.control because it was never meant to be tamed. that is the nature.of this material world. Can never be tamed. But our.conditioning convinces us that we can control it. That we can control anything. Which is completely false because we are.not.controlers. but servants of each other. When we work in a loving mood of servitude than we can actualmy begin to truely care for.the welfare of others and tendency manipulate others simply will be avoided because the individual is well aware of the disturbance it creates. When it.comes down to it Its all a matter of simpley not knowing anybetter. sad situation.

13. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

[SIZE=10.5pt]Feed a Cold - Starve a Fever = Rule of thumb[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=10.5pt]I've always held more store with Natural remedies, although do recognise the merits of modern technological and; to a degree, chemical remedy - I have found the basic treatment of, Rest/Sleep, water, Herbs, Creams and Oils is an established and reliable cure [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=10.5pt]As for Service provision = Doctors and Nurses - at the sharp end of emergency call out, long hours with weakened resources, there is; although not excuses, = explanation.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=10.5pt]G.P. consultancy can vary, and although I don't 'not go' - my attendance is quite rare - as is my sickness absence record.[/SIZE]

1 person likes this.