Can we trust medical doctors?

Discussion in 'People' started by Coleco, Jun 8, 2014.

1. storch

storch banned

I'm pretty sure that not just one individual person is responsible for the misleading statistics having to do with cancer survival rates.

2. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

It has been explained to me online by a doctor that GP's have to give advice patients that follows guidelines set out by the Australian Medical Association (AMA). This association is accountable to no one.
    I once got talking to a GP's wife -while was his receptionist- while waiting for a consultation- and it was apparent she was reading off the same page as I was. She was able to speak her mind because she was not conversing with me in any professional capacity.
    There are doctors around who do have nutrition knowledge, but such knowledge is because of private research not from formal training.

3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Article today mentioned doctors receiving billions in kick-backs for prescibing certain drugs. Sounds about right. The TV adverts piss me off. "Ask your doctor if _______ would work for you." Then right after that will come lawyers soliciting clients that have been harmed by the very drugs that were pushed on TV earlier. Some with horrendous side effects--including death!

I did have a young doctor that definately saved my life. He was/is very thorough and takes lots of time with me explaining everything concisely. What he did for me was really serious shit. I'm lucky to have made it.

Doctors have the rep of treating symptoms instead of root causes and I believe that is the case.

Believe it or not, some doctors back in the 50's used to smoke cigs right in the room where you were being examined! I had one such.

If you can get a good one--use him/her. If not --keep looking.

No doctor--ever--has mentioned nutrition to me. I took it upon myself to learn some about it, consequently becoming veggie.

4. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If you are going to visit a doctor or a hospital you have to put some trust in them but lots of health care professionals forget that the patient knows their own body best.

5. storch

storch banned

Kalmitol is not right for everyone. Talk to your doctor if, after taking Kalmitol, you awaken one morning to find that your whole family has been slaughtered sometime during the night, with no signs of forced entry, and your knife-hand showing signs of having been recently over-worked. If you experience such a side-effect, you should also talk to your local Sheriff, as it is likely he will have some questions for you. When talking to your Sheriff, it is important that you not mention the fact that you take Kalmitol.

You should also talk to your doctor if, after taking Kalmitol, you happen to find yourself outside in the snow--with or without a coat--chasing after a cat; especially if, upon later inspection, the cat's paw-prints are curiously missing while yours are plain to see. In the event that a friend or neighbor witnesses such abnormal behavior on your part, and they call the authorities, then once again it is important that you not mention the fact that you take Kalmitol.

If an unfortunate episode such as the ones mentioned above happens, keep in mind that your decision to mention Kalmitol to the authorities will result in the disappearance of your medical files from your doctor's office. Though it may come as a shock to you, your doctor's loyalties are such that you are not even in the top ten on his list of things that matter to him/her, whereas we are number-one on his/her list. In fact, if you were made aware of the "you-scratch-my-back, I'll-scratch-yours" relationship we have with all doctors who prescribe Kalmitol, it would likely sicken you, in which case, you should ask your doctor if our new anti-nausea drug is right for you.

It is also not advisable to consider filing a lawsuit against Kalmitol in the event that you slaughter your family, or are observed engaging in really weird behavior while taking Kalmitol. After all, who do you think a jury is going to believe, you, a psychologically challenged nobody who chases after nonexistent cats in the snow and/or turns a common kitchen knife into a weapon of mass destruction, or the well-dressed, well-groomed, and hard-working professionals at Kalmitol? LOL! Get real.

2 people like this.
  6. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Decrease in infant mortality rate would contribute to an increase statistically in longevity by your method of calculation.

7. storch

storch banned

Yes, that was my point . . .

8. thedope

Then those figures are included in the statistical average, statistical averages being what they are.

9. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Being what? These averages having been caused in their own right besides what the statistics is referring to.

10. thedope

Statistical averages do not represent any one individual.

11. Just_a_woman

Just_a_woman Member

If I'm too ill to just wait for it to fade away, I'll go to a doctor. In such situation, I wouldn't go to any other professional. When it comes to health, they're the only ones with scientific backup.

People forget that you don't have to score 100% to get a grade at school, university, etc. In some countries, 60% is enough, for instance. That's an anecdote, but I wanted to throw the idea out there that these professionals, like all the others, didn't need to know 100% of their stuff to get a diploma. And even if they did, there is a limited amount of information one can amass in the time they are studying.

There are mediocre doctors, just like there is mediocrity in all professions.

If my problem is "grave", I seek a second, even a third opinion, and I inform myself with the help of specialized literature, including peer reviewed periodicals in the field. Sometimes doctors aren't up to date. When I find a good paper they're perhaps unaware of, I give them a copy.

So, perfect, they can't be. But they're still your best bet when you're really ill. Would you trust anyone else than a neurosurgeon to extract a malignant tumor from your brain? I wouldn't.

12. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

^^ Yes

People just don't realize what life before modern medicine was like.

The other day I happened to mention Christian Science to a friend, and I was being critical of their stance on doctors. But my buddy pointed out that back in the mid 19th century when Mary Baker Eddy was writing, medicine was crude, and really, you might as well just pray.

But that's changed so much these days. Doctors do good things. They may be flawed and imperfect, but many of us owe them a lot.

3 people like this.
  13. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Most are in bed with BIG PHARMA!!!! -- Its hard trusting them with you realise the truth..

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Back in the eighties we could trust them all.

15. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Yes the 80s and earlier was a MUCH BETTER time!!

16. Asmodean

Teehee :D

1 person likes this.
  17. MarcIsHere

MarcIsHere Members

Some more then others. Some not at all. Some with our lives

18. Cannabliss88

Cannabliss88 Members

Never trust a man or woman who tells you the answer to your problems is a pill.

1 person likes this.
  19. Asmodean

The doctors I have experience with seems to bring it more nuanced. Like, this pill is likely to help but you can take it or leave it. Or sometimes they dare to say it is advisable to take it. Evil bastards I know.

20. MissJmarie

MissJmarie Members

Well just trust that they're trying to help you.