Using Cannabis For Pain Management?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by JonathanMD420, Jun 3, 2014.

1. JonathanMD420

JonathanMD420 Guest

Has anyone found any actual studies that support how CBD's have been known to help with pain? What about any other known components of cannabis?

2. Moonfox13

Moonfox13 Member

This is found at : http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/news/20100830/marijuana-relieves-chronic-pain-research-show

It appears that thc is the cannabanoid responsible for pain releif according to this website, althogh both thc and cbd has medical uses.

You can type in "studies of cannabid and pain" in google, thats what I did

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I've generally found, from my personal experience, that smoking green just intensifies the pain in that area. -shrug-

4. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Yikes. That sucks.

5. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

But not in the wood. Keep on to the pain there and the ambulance fine is well applied, or a woolly pleasure takes the substance of concern to the hospital. I'm legal.:sunny:

6. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

I have rheumatoid arthritis. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it does nothing, and once in a while it seems to make it worse.

If I smoke before doing something like watching television or reading a book, it usually helps to take my mind off of the pain. This really only works for moderate pain though... sometimes, an opiate is the only thing that will help. Other times it can make the pain worse, usually when I smoke right before bed and lie there with nothing to distract me... so I focus on the pain more and more.

Edibles tend to be better for pain, but take longer to kick in and last longer, so they are sometimes impractical.

7. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

It really depends on the strain/variety you are using. Sativas with a greater ratio of THC to CBD are better suited for anxiety and depression. Indicas with a higher percentage of CBD are better for pain management in terms of general analgesic effects, plus CBD tends to be sedating, so that also helps with pain.

For me I suffer with abdominal cramps and general stomach pain daily and smoking will stop an episode of cramping in it's tracks because CBD relaxes smooth muscle tissue and often alleviates cramping.
    We all should have heard that queen Elizabeth smoked regularly for menstrual cramps.

Personally I've known about it's general analgesic effects ever since I first started smoking.

For the OP, google and I'm sure you will come up with multiple thousands of results. ;)

8. eggsprog

I find that Indicas are better for anxiety, actually. Sometimes sativa strains can make it worse and send me into a panic attack.

To be honest though, most of what I end up finding is a hybrid, usually around 60/40, so it is pretty much all the same.

9. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My back hurts every day. Motorcycle knees don't feel so good either, but empirically speaking, to smoke a few buds relieves the pain when I need it. So, studies or otherwise, I know that it works.

10. eggsprog

I found it frustrating when my rheumatologist told me that he does not prescribe marijuana because his professional association does not recommend it, because there is not sufficient evidence that it is effective for rheumatic pain.

If I say that it helps, and there is little to no evidence that it is causing me any sort of harm, then why not prescribe it to me? What harm can possible be done? It will just mean that instead of buying on the street and medicating in fear, I will be growing my own or buying it from the government.

11. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

I jacked up my leg pretty good yesterday. I don't know that weed would help the pain, but I wouldn't mind testing out that theory right about now.

12. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

There were only 21 subjects in the study. I think the sample size is way too small to make any statistically significant inferences. You're also dealing with a subjective pain scale, so it makes it tricky to reach conclusions. At best, this study shows only a very modest decrease in pain.

Study or no study, if smoking weed helps with your pain, then it works. Probably better for you than taking an opiate too.

There are lots of studies showing that acupuncture works very well for treating pain. I'd recommend trying this first if what you want to do is reduce pain.

13. ChickadeeHipGurly777

ChickadeeHipGurly777 Guest

I have Multiple Sclerosis and it helps with the spasticity way
    more than any opiate or muscle relaxer.

14. ChickadeeHipGurly777

ChickadeeHipGurly777 Guest

I have Multiple Sclerosis and I'm going to get my card
    and its funny you mentioned Indicas because that's what
    the caregiver recommended. However its very expensive
    he wants $400 for a oz.

15. eggsprog

I pay $220-250/oz for top grade on the blackmarket here, so it sounds like the guy is ripping you off.

16. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

17. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

This is an interesting article, but its about the neurobiology and evolution of cannabinoid signaling rather than a clinical study of efficacy.

18. AceK

i will try and look for a clinical study if i can remember to. I know it's out there but I don't wanna post just anything from some website that says its effective or not, I want the actual study said website used as source material

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3243008/

^this, above link, may be closer to what your looking for, not sure we're quite there yet, i'll keep looking.

19. AceK

20. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

when will you canadians understand that our weed markets are different?! :sunny:

400 is pretty steep though. i pay $225/oz for decent nugs, but top grade stuff can be like $320 or more. i don't like to pay that though...

even medical stuff in other states doesn't seem that much cheaper.