Violent attitude towards hippies?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Fairlight, May 23, 2014.

1. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Before my dad died he told me some
    stories about himself and friends getting beaten up for being hippies in the late sixties and early seventies.It wasn't all peace and love at this time.Now I'm coming out more into my hippie side I am getting paranoid about getting paranoid about those tough young fly guys dissing me.Does anyone else out there have similar experiences or do you think I should just ignore it and let my freak flag fly high?

2. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

Let ur freak flag fly high, be urself and never ever conform ! :)

3. Peacock25

Peacock25 Member

Let the freak flag fly! I live in a city where things are a little bit weird. The area I live in, means that I am stared at, but go a mile away and I fit in! It's bizarre but I wouldn't worry about it unless it proves a problem in your own life. My dad relayed his problems with a certain sub-culture and so I was worried about dressing in a certain way for years! It's not worth it.

4. oldwolf

oldwolf Waysharing-not moderating Super Moderator

Yah...most of us 'oldies' can share horror stories of hurrahing that happened to us.

But truthfully when looking back it always feels soo much better being True to Self than playing unreal for others.... Really..lol

5. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

My guess is that this is something that happened much more frequently in the early 70's. I haven't really heard of any anti-hippie attacks happening.

What's more likely is that you'll get more harassment from cops.

I once asked a martial arts teacher if he had ever needed to use martial arts in self defense. He said no, if you just stay away from bars at night you'll probably never need to defend yourself.

6. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

If you just be yourself and do as you want without being a hinderance to society or the law you have no reason to fear anything. I don't Dress like a hippie, I dress like I want to and no one but my mom bothers me. She thinks I could shake the cut offs and casual clothing style I have and go to a proper store to buy my clothes,,, screw that, it means I gotta buy shoes to match it all. I like my baggy jeans, loose Ts and even some hemp type shirts I get at flee markets for cheap and second hand stores that go with my flat sandals and my easy attitude.
    I don't dress on purpose to be a hippie at all but I like casual stuff that I am most comfortable in, no one has ever told me it wasn't good and most will comment something like, they want my shirt when I get tired of it.
    You don't have to try to make a statement of Being a hippie or hit a certain dress code, just be yourself and don't worry about the small stuff. This ain't like trying to be a Hells Angel or a church goer, just relax and be you, no one really cares unless you go to some suit and tie place with jeans on.
    Don't try to Be, just go. And ya back in the day there might have been issues but do peeps really care anymore? Na. I don't see it.

7. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

I grew up in the mods and rockers era ! couldn't walk down the street without somebody wanting to do you in
    Not saying which one I was but we got in some battles in those days

8. odonII

odonII O

9. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When men started growing their hair long in the 60s they encountered a lot of backlash. Hippies were also mistreated for doing drugs and resisting the draft. WWII veterans were middle-aged back then and resented those who wouldn't go to Vietnam and "fight for their country." There were often clashes between hippies and cops, hard-hat construction workers and others with a more conservative leaning. It was particularly bad in the southern states, such as portrayed in the movie Easy Rider.

That's why they call it the counterculture, it comes into conflict with the existing culture.