Atheism starts a megachurch

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by ginalee14, May 12, 2014.

1. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't think I ever had the grade school mentality. Sorry....

2. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

As long as it doesn't turn into a cult of personality / collective superego ignorance with bullshit agendas. The organizers should be aware that it's human nature to form these types of groups. Make concerted efforts to ensure this does not turn into a fan following, group meetings of the Lawrence Krauss Keteers or some crazy shit like that.

It's definitely not or should not be a gathering for worship of anything or anyone so the word "church" is definitely wrong. It's something that should be addressed before it causes problems, before any "lazy" atheists might transform into crazy atheists. Of course it is more of a label the theists would like to give to these meetings rather than the atheists themselves, at this point anyway.

3. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I am talking about the fact that you said you were going to be with those that make you happy. Perhaps that means you were skidaddling to be by yourself but I couldn't tell from the way you parsed your statement. Truly I do not attempt to confound but to encourage reasoning and I will pay attention and take you at your word.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

These guys are late bloomers. Auguste Comte's social theories in the 1800s arrived at the "Religion of Humanity", which influenced the development of religious humanist and secular humanist organizations and coined the word altruism

4. thedope

And so you shall have at it, the nowhere absent nowhere remoteness of reality is our domain brother.

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

this is neither a direct nor entirely honest answer. non-physical places MAY exist, but there is not such a place a non-place. there is the possibility of not being spacialy localized. time and spirit are both non-localized in space. this is why they are seperate cartisian frames of reference. they are not however, devoid of localization, each within their own context, however much not so, in the context of each other.

the only thing absent from reality is the fantasy of linearity, and of a universality of familiar conventionality.

6. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Russia; land of the future.

7. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I definitely think we have a communication problem. Must be the type written word, and if you heard me, you would laugh usually.....that is why I usually put the lol after mostly everything, but I do not always, as i assume people may get that by now....my wording can be off sometimes. I don't know what I meant yesterday. Today is a new day! LOL :)

8. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

I got some reversal of ideal planning on my "innocence" trip with air miles. The air miles will get me there to England, but they add sales and airport security fees in the flights to Heathrow. It come out more expensive to fly to England and back with the disposed Air Miles than just paying the cash. but it's three times less for airport and sales taxes to Mexico City. Thus jail birding really makes sense. They don't have to see me in Poland this year, or that Russian trip. I think this way the mega-church may make sense; just need to change my blood background. And be free as a bird.

Am i living in the eighties now; "Like a Bird on a Wire." :biker:

9. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

Ah, it's more that atheists have organized to congregate in 22 cities around the world. Their name is even religiousy, and they reserve Sunday for their day of unity.

Face the very simple, obvious reality. It does not matter what sort of mind game and mental trick they want to play with their subsequent ideas. The REALITY is that they have established a church-like congregation. Period.

10. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

how do they expect people not to see the irony in that !! if you make atheist into a religious then you basically have another religous ie NOT atheism which by simply looking at the word means "non-religeous"

find your own truth. why do you believe what you believe? because someone told you it's true? or because this is what you have seen/experienced and believe based on the information currently available to YOU?

11. thedope

Answer to what?

12. Dejavu

Dejavu Until the great unbanning

thedope:
    You're certain are you? lol

13. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member