Atheism starts a megachurch

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by ginalee14, May 12, 2014.

1. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Oh geez, that's silly...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Fascinating. Evolution in action. We have now a new mutation of the atheist meme that will be in competition not only with the churches and synagogues but with traditional atheism. May the better meme win!

4. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

The whole thrust behind anti religion is an effort to substitute theirs.

5. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Why is it that they always have to make a club out of everything?

So they can charge an entry fee.

6. thedope

Allies are like bank accounts
    Friends don't leave you flat busted

7. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Who goes around talking about anti religion all day....? Seems the other way around to me....I feel the push to constantly be replaced with this kind of horse shit....believe me....and anyway...some people will make a business out of anything....even atheism...can't blame all atheists for that. There are pure of heart people, too....rare, but there are some.

8. heeh2

heeh2 Senior Member

which is why we have names like "Buddhism", "Jainism", "Taoism", "Naturalism", ect.....

Being an atheist just means god is not included in your perception of the universe.

I mean there are thousands of gods you don't believe in. Zeus, Acan, Shiva, ect....

We just take it one god further than you do....

Its just a group of like-minded people gathering....Like an AA meeting or a star wars convention, but we don't call those "The church of ANTI wine and beverages" or "The church of the ANTI star trek".

9. thedope

Not so rare, everyone is naturally devoted.

10. Moonglow181

Religion is one of the biggest businesses around and tax free, too. Ought to make you happy.

11. thedope

Why should it make me happy. Happy is a state of being that I claim. Being assailed by horseshit is a state of being you claim. Tax free doesn't concern me
    nor does your prescribed value system. The one that affects me is mine.

12. Moonglow181

GREAT! I will skidaddle towards those who make me happy now...adios!

13. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I heard it said about the counter culture as well when entertainment such as music and film started adopting the values and making money, in our society anything that can will be commodified.

14. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy-l14kCnX4"]Atheist Mega-Church? 9 Reasons Why The Sunday Assembly is NOT a Mega-Church. - YouTube

15. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

16. thedope

I hope for the sake of your happiness then that they are never far nor absent all together.
    I wonder how they feel held responsible for your happiness. If you find yourself unhappy with them somebody be tryin to lay down a guilt trip. It is not my job to be anyone's friend but I do like friendly people. I don't mean to seem offensive, I'm just older now and I feel all I have time for is plain speaking.

17. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Your a doctor physician; are you? well that has the difficulty of mega-pathology. Mega-church is all about also cheating on you taxes, marketing due to location, location, location. The last three subjects are my domain, SIR.:mickey:

18. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

It seems to me that the speaker did a reasonably good job of explaining why "mega" church might be the wrong term for the Sunday Assembly. He gives nine reasons, some of which apply to mega-churches, others to churches in general. In terms of size, staff, money, and dogma/doctrine, the comparison to mega-churches does seem to be inappropriate. We have no Sunday Assembly in Oklahoma, so I have no firsthand experience with this group and must rely on his description. We do have one of the largest, fastest growing atheist communities in the country, probably in reaction to the Evangelical dominance in the state. While there's nothing that could be called an atheist "church" in terms of a building, services, hymns, or doctrine, there is an organization (Atheists of Oklahoma) that sponsers a superabundance of multiple events that could absorb a member's life, if (s)he chose to get that involved: breakfasts, lunches, dinners, discussion forums, bowling, socials, charity work, summer camps for the kids, etc. So how ironic or sinister is that?

19. Moonglow181

What are you talking about? You wonder who is they feel responsible for my happiness...I am the only one responsible for that... Who are you talking about and what are you talking about?
    Is itso hard for you to not speak in riddles?

20. -Yggdrasil-

-Yggdrasil- Einherjar

Hey I got a riddle for ya.

What looks like a ball
    What's round like a ball
    What's shaped like a ball
    But doesn't bounce like a ball?

Your daddy's nugget..

Thwomp

Bahahabhahahahahhahahahha ha ha ha... wicked