• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#11 Camper_Bob

Camper_Bob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 07:47 PM

welcome aboard and thanks for your insights.
Been living in vehicles nearly 10yrs and if a travel trailer with 8x14' living space counts, more like 25 yrs (on a wonderful place I 'rented' from the state (owned) in the sw finger lakes region - tried for community there for 30 yrs and passed it on last year).
Currently I live in a Subaru outback modified to a 2.2 engine and14" wheels with the back all cargo (ready made bed). Been more than ready to upgrade but enjoy going places where awd helps, but need a bit more clearance. Thought about a Sprinter, but they are top heavy and only rear wd. Will have to chew on your advice - but it looks sound.

Travel trailers count in my book, I'm kind of an equal opportunity kind of guy, living on wheels is living on wheels, no matter what sits above them.

Personally, I never venture too far off a road, so it has never really been an issue for me. I love my poor old van, it sure has taken good care of me, but I honestly don't know how it would do in the real boondocks.

Sometimes the choices can be hard, and we just have to weigh all the options and pick one. I can't hardly imagine trying to live in your rig. It makes my 6' x 12'(living space) van sound like a mansion. My swivel rocker/recliner is a welcome friend, and an indoor toilet & shower are luxuries that I really appreciate. I'm in the middle of a downpour right now, and there is nothing more comforting than knowing that I have no need to go outside. Every comfort of home is within easy reach, so let her rain.

Use an inverter, carry up to 15 gal of water and several cook stoves (both propane and multifuel), must admit I favor the propane but am drawn to gasoline fuels as being the cheapest to run.
The kerosene heater you mentioned - how's that in the van ? (breathing-wise - I have an adversion to the smell of kerosene via lanterns and especially cannot take them upon exstinguishing).

I have an inverter tucked away, but I really never use it. All of my power needs are handled by 12v on a separate house battery. I have the car chargers for everything, and an amazing amount of stuff is available in 12v versions, including electric blankets.

I love my kerosene heaters & lamps, but I can certainly appreciate that they're not for everyone. The little bit of fumes on starting or stopping them doesn't happen to bother me. One of the things that I really like about them is that it seems to be a drier heat than propane. The kerosene heat will actually de fog the windows rather than fogging them up. My kerosene heater has glass all the way around, so you can see the flames, and it is kind of like being able to have an indoor campfire. I have lots of LED lanterns which I like, but there is nothing like the ambiance of a kerosene lantern to set the mood and sooth the spirit. It will transport me to a serene campsite in the woods, even if I'm in the middle of a city.

I don't really have any experience with the multi-fuel stoves, although I have played a little bit with some of the alcohol stoves. The problem is that the denatured alcohol seems to be pretty expensive. I do have a Coleman propane camp stove that I use for both cooking and low to mid range heating. One of the advantages of using a cook stove for heating is that you have full control over the heat output, where most heaters are just either on or off. I use a clay flower pot turned upside down over one burner to help radiate the heat. I also picked up some solar stake lights at a dollar store, and the overturned flower pot makes a perfect holder for those as well.

Been on these forums since the beginning , but no longer moderate (though skip has not seen fit [yet] to take away my mod status) because I am too often off grid (national forests - mostly S.W.). Do have the option of parking in a home base at my sister's in N.M., - use it as little as possible believing in the fish story (3 days and it begins to stink), but even when parked, sleep and usually cook in my car.

Like you, I've been around for quite a while too, I followed TwoDogs from the beginning, but never wanted to steal his thunder. He is an inspiration to many, and I can only hope that this thread can bring as much joy and inspiration to people as he has over the years.

I like your fish story, and feel the same way. I go home at night to sleep in my own comfortable bed, and will frequently even park elsewhere for the night, just so no-one has to worry about me. I never want to be an inconvenience to someone I'm visiting.

My email is in my sig. and I do reply to P.M.s too (when folks can use them); but must warn that I'm often off grid.
Finally went to a smart phone , but still need the grid - satellite phone are beyond my means at present.
Getting ready to travel to S. A. (a once started vision but never fully realized) - hopefully before winter solstice here.
My sig. also has links to my personal forum and journals, should you wish a pretty clear vision of me. I include all this because you sound like a person of like mind - and I meet very few.
Like to connect, should desire be there on your side as well.

Blessings along your Way (most often the lessons learned)

Namaste (my spirit bows to your spirit)

I look forward to reading your forum & journals, thank you for the invite. The welcome mat is always out for you my friend. I'm not sure I've figured out the PM thing yet, but perhaps it will become more apparent if someone sends me one.

Good luck on your trip to S.A., I'll be looking forward to your posts about it.

Rubber down and spirits up my friend, glad to have you on board.

#12 Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus

Master of Funk and Evil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,908 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 09:02 AM

Sweet thread!

Last year I was pretty close to homelessness and so I started working on my 2005 dodge caravan as an urban stealth camper. Thankfully it didn't come to that but it's worked well for our road trips so far.

There's still a pile of work to do. I just replaced the mattress with some HD memory foam. Closures on my drawers. I'll be re doing my black out curtains.
My friend is giving me some extra tent poles to work on tarping options.

We may have to configure in a guinea pig travel system.

Now that there's no impending doom, working on the van is fun. I'll be out in it next weekend to see what need tweaking next.
https://t1.gstatic.c...EkdIUXphLC3F7UQ
"Now we're cooking with Evil gas!"

#13 oldwolf

oldwolf

Waysharing-not moderating

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 10:30 AM

FYI bob you cannot PM (private message) anyone until you hit member status, which I think occcurs somewhere between 50.>100 posts

Life is an opportunity and becomes what you make of it

May the Light of Love ever Guide your Way
Grow on ... Enjoy !

Peace Blessings
Love

Namaste

oldwolf:
my @hotmail email adress is nomadhermit
my @yahoo email adress is waysharer

#14 kenwilkes

kenwilkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 01:27 PM

Hey Camper Bob, good to see you here. I think you commented on my blog the other day about my recliner in my bus. I'm one of those wanna be's slowing migrating to full time as my life situations allow. Don't discount us part timers. Everyone started somewhere.. Looking forward to building this thread.

By the way, a friend of mine talks with JC, A.K.A Two dogs. He's alive and kicking...

Best to ALL !!!

#15 Camper_Bob

Camper_Bob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 02:08 PM

Sweet thread!

Last year I was pretty close to homelessness and so I started working on my 2005 dodge caravan as an urban stealth camper. Thankfully it didn't come to that but it's worked well for our road trips so far.

There's still a pile of work to do. I just replaced the mattress with some HD memory foam. Closures on my drawers. I'll be re doing my black out curtains.
My friend is giving me some extra tent poles to work on tarping options.

We may have to configure in a guinea pig travel system.

Now that there's no impending doom, working on the van is fun. I'll be out in it next weekend to see what need tweaking next.

Greetings and Welcome!

If we can be of any assistance, just give a holler!

So glad to hear that it is now a pleasure experience rather than a forced one. Sure goes to show how being prepared can ease your mind though.

Edited by Camper_Bob, May 09 2014 - 02:46 PM.
missing word

#16 Camper_Bob

Camper_Bob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 02:12 PM

FYI bob you cannot PM (private message) anyone until you hit member status, which I think occcurs somewhere between 50.>100 posts

Ahhh... Thanks, that explains it, because I couldn't seem to find it anywhere. Guess maybe I should have read the in depth docs.:confused:

#17 Camper_Bob

Camper_Bob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 02:43 PM

Hey Camper Bob, good to see you here. I think you commented on my blog the other day about my recliner in my bus. I'm one of those wanna be's slowing migrating to full time as my life situations allow. Don't discount us part timers. Everyone started somewhere.. Looking forward to building this thread.

By the way, a friend of mine talks with JC, A.K.A Two dogs. He's alive and kicking...

Best to ALL !!!

Greetings and Welcome Ken!

Glad to hear about TwoDogs!

Not to worry my friend, my vision is to be all inclusive, from wannabe's to full timer's, to everything in between. Even dreamers count in my book.

You just never know where that next dynamite tip could come from, or who our little bit of knowledge could help.

I envision our online community being open to all, kind of like Slab City, anybody who's willing to play nice is welcome, even if we have to agree to disagree.

The idea of being here, and creating a non judgmental community to help each other and help others, is just so exciting to me. I've always tried to help others when I could, but the reality is that in person, there are only so many people you are going to meet, or you can help. Here we have the potential of helping thousands, and with the experiences of not just myself, but a whole community. We can offer our help across town, across the country, or even around the world.

Even just a kind word can make a whole a world of difference sometimes, letting someone know that they are not alone, and they have somewhere to turn.

Welcome my friend, and hope to see a lot of you!

#18 Camper_Bob

Camper_Bob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 04:04 PM

I frequently get asked what I do for running water.

I have several systems that I use, but my favorite system that I use every single day for everything from washing my hands, to washing dishes, or counter tops, to even my quick showers, consists of 3 dollar store spray bottles.

I have painted one of them black, and sit it in a window for solar heated hot water. A second bottle is room temperature, and a third bottle has a few drops of dish soap added to it, and it can be solar heated if desired also.

I've tried a lot of systems over the years, and this one may be stupidly simple, but it sure works great!

#19 Camper_Bob

Camper_Bob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 07:58 PM

Building a kitchen area / work space has never been easier or cheaper than it is today.

Today we have many choices of pre-made plastic, wood, and metal drawers that can be had very cheaply. These can be configured in a desk style layout, or all drawers, or any other configuration you like. Simply place a pre-made shelf across the top, and you're good to go.

Building a comfortable living space doesn't have to be difficult or require carpenter skills, anybody can do it with off the shelf supplies, and Craigslist, or Thrift Store finds.

Here's a couple of examples.

#20 Camper_Bob

Camper_Bob

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 08:05 PM

Dollar store dish pans make great indoor/outdoor sinks.

Click to shop at Herbies Head Shop