Smokers are Rude

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by RainyDayHype, Apr 27, 2014.

1. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

OK. But I wonder myself if you smoke cannabis rather than eat it if the possible lung damage might not outweigh the medicinal benefits?

It's hot smoke laden with tar. With cigarettes they say it's the tar that does the damage. Probably smoking weed does just as much. Unpopular as that may be.

But don't get me wrong - I am myself starting to dislike the smell of tobacco smoke.

2. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

Actually, I just read in the rules of the event that there was technically No Smoking allowed there. Makes sense since the event was in the desert. So I was totally in the right to ask him to put his cigarette out.

3. RainyDayHype

I don't smoke a lot of cannabis. And this thread wasn't supposed to be about my personal choices. I have the right to subject myself to whatever I want. My issue is with smokers who subject others to their second hand smoke.

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Why makes it more sense not to smoke in the desert? Yes, I seriously wonder (maybe I'm missing something)

5. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

If the rules were no smokers, he was clearly wrong....:)

6. RainyDayHype

Flammable brush and plants in the desert

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm afraid most would just laugh it off like the cig smoker in the OP. At least around here at a music event. I admit I would not put it out if I am in front of a good band enjoying myself. But at most events there's room enough to move away from someone that is bothering you.
    I regard it the same as people that are just behind the mosh pit and are troubling the moshers with question like can't you mosh somewhere else :biggrin: You just don't do that. If it bothers you step back. They're not moving the moshpit :p

Ah, I see :biggrin: I was thinking more of a sandy/rocky desert. I already thought that rule would make sense in some forest areas.

8. BlackBillBlake

And I agreed with you and said the guy smoking was out of line.

My guess is that as cannabis becomes more legal and accepted, smokers of the herb will be subject to similar regulations as tobacco smokers.

It isn't just smokers who do things bad for health and disregard the effect on others. There are many instances that go almost unnoticed.

9. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

There was a study years ago that proved the smoke of weed is ten times stronger then cig smoke, I believe it because it's much harder for me to take then second hand smoke. Tell me anyone could smoke ten cigs in a row and about then not feel a buzz from it, all beit a different buzz but a buzz.
    If I was pregnant I wouldn't be smoking either, or want either in my face but you bet once legal, pot will be lit in open concert areas, or at the least in the parking lots before and during.
    To smoke pot and say cig smoke is bad is kind of an oxymoron, and I am not talking about any certain person's choices here. I am stating my opinion on second hand smoke of any kind.

10. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

Whiney non smokers are ruder from my experience, however, that dude definitely shouldnt have been blowing smoke at a pregnant chick

11. BlackBillBlake

Some people do get a buzz of sorts from cigarettes. I used to myself.

Steven King said that when he quit smoking he found it really hard to write.
    Norman Mailer said he had to re-learn how to write without the cigs. Both major writers fueling their writing with cigarettes for years.

It's a kind of minor brain stimulant which has been validated in studies where they map the action of nicotine in the brain. The same studies also showed that some people are much more likely to smoke than others because of minute differences in the brain. Others will have no predisposition to smoke.

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I don't really understand why everyone is comparing pot and cigarette smoke. Pot is an irritant on the lungs, certainly, but it hasn't been shown to be carcinogenic. It also doesn't cause any of the cardiovascular problems cigarettes cause and it doesn't contain any of the thousands of chemicals added to cigarettes.

Socially its rude to expose people to second hand smoke from pot or cigarettes but health wise its a no brainer which is worse.

I used to smoke cigarettes but I never really smoked in public. It always embarrassed me. I only smoked at home or occasionally in my car.

13. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Rainy, if it had been me in your situation I probably would have just moved. I don't think I would have said anything to the guy since he did have a right to smoke. Not that what you did was wrong (maybe there was nowhere else to move to), I just don't usually speak up in those types of situations.

:2thumbsup: Congrats on quitting!

14. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Thank ya :)

15. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

once it's legal? :)
    it's already smoked pretty openly at outdoor concerts.

i personally refrain from busting out a joint though if there are kids around, or people that wouldn't like the smoke.

yeah but he didn't really have that right. she said the concert was supposed to be no smoking.

also i have never heard of "the right to smoke" before. i would argue that it only applies if you can do so without harming other people.

16. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Didn't notice that, sorry :). I was assuming that it was legal.

17. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

I don't think it is different, that is auto mobile or industrial pollution and personal smoking. Rude is thinking we are a special circumstance and driving a car with a combustion engine is profoundly more toxic to everyone than second hand smoke is to most. Mankind's premier technology remains the use of fire and unfortunately the consumption rate of metabolic fire is 100 percent. Our complaints are luxuries we think we can afford not things that interest us when things get thick. So the question becomes in living a long and happy life by current standards, how much are you willing to pollute.

18. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

I'm a smoker and I think you were being unreasonable. You don't seem to understand how addictive cigarettes are and how strong the craving is to smoke once it hits. I would like to eventually quit smoking for health and financial reasons but until then I enjoy it and would appreciate it if you wouldn't criticize me.

19. RainyDayHype

Yep, I sure was being unreasonable asking someone nicely to put their cigarette out because I'm pregnant and don't want harmful smoke blowing into my face. Totally unreasonable when the rules were actually no smoking at this venue.
    The guy was a douche bag, and honestly, I really don't like smokers. I don't want dirty second hand smoke in my personal space, I don't want to smell your cigarette stench on your clothes or have it attach itself to my clothes. If you can't take a break from smoking for 30 minutes to listen to some music then that's lame.

20. TAZER-69

TAZER-69 Listen To Your Heart! Lifetime Supporter

If anybody had seen my mother wake up every morning, Hack up both lungs-( this took a couple of hours) get emphysema- carry around an oxygen bottle for the last ten years of her life and then lay in a hospital bed for 4 weeks before she died would never smoke again.

She died way before her time and her grandkids sure would have liked to have known her and I am sure the same for her.

Quit while you can and don't start if you haven't.