Smokers are Rude

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by RainyDayHype, Apr 27, 2014.

1. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

I went to a music festival last night. I was watching one band and the crowd was sardined together. The guy in front of me wipped out a cigarette. Ugh. I do not like second hand smoke, and I am also 5 months pregnant.

Then he wipped out another cigarette. Chain smoker. The crowd was so close together and his smoke was literally hitting me right in the face. I was worried he would be smoking for the band's whole set list. So I dramatically waved his smoke back to him, hoping he'd get the hint. Nope. So my friend nicely said to him, "She's pregnant, do you mind putting your cigarette out?" He laughed and continued smoking. My friend called the smoker a dick and I said a couple of fuck you's to him and called him a douche bag. He eventually put it out. He was probably scared of me going ape shit hormonal fueled crazy pregnant chick on him..

Even if I wasn't pregnant, why should anyone be subjected to his second hand smoke? The crowd was so close together that it was so rude to be smoking in this proximity. He should be aware that a lot of people don't like second hand smoke at all.

What do you think? What would you have done in my situation? I'm curious what smokers and none smokers think..

2. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I can see your point. I used to smoke a lot, now I'm on the way to quitting. I mainly use an e cig these days to gradually wean myself off nicotine, which is actually an extremely addictive drug.

I think from the smokers point of view if this was an outdoor event which I assume it must have been, there's no law or regulations to say you can't smoke, and some see it as an issue of civil liberty or something similar.

I think the smoker you mention though could have had more respect. You were probably right to call him a douche. Not all smokers are that way though.

3. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes, he should have had more respect in a close proximity situation.

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I've been in both situations (except for the pregnant part) and if I was in your situation I would not have made a bigger deal out of it, if the guy happened to be a chain smoker I would probably move to another spot in the crowd (even if it was packed).
    When I myself am at a music festival I feel like most smokers and tokers: light one up whenever I feel like it. If I got a complaint of a pregnant lady i'd probably put my cig out, otherwise probably not. I just regard it as a privilege at an open air music festival I'm afraid. I'm not a chainsmoker though, but I especially like to light up a joint when I'm listening to a good band which as you know can last for half an hour :D

5. Moonglow181

No smoking allowed at outdoor events in my neck of the woods....
    I have been to outdoor concerts around here...and I know people have gotten stoned, as i can see it in their eyes....and how they act....just not around anyone...probably in their cars or something before entering the event.....

6. Asmodean

Now, that's what I call outrageous! :D

7. RainyDayHype

I am talking about cigarettes. I actually don't mind people smoking weed around me, personal preference I guess. I do smoke weed but I don't smoke cigarettes. I find cigarettes disgusting.

I've just encountered a lot of rude cigarette smokers, but this incident tops them all. Sure, they have a right to smoke but how about also having some consideration and decency for others? The smoke was going right into my face and I made him aware of this. I also see smokers right outside of kids places like chuck e cheeses. Really? Very rude. And there are usually signs posted that say you need to be at least 20 feet away from the establishment but they just ignore these signs.

8. Asmodean

I generally mix my joints with tobacco.

9. BlackBillBlake

In th UK people tend to smoke joints rolled with tobacco and weed.

As I said, I sympathize with your feelings, but let's not forget all the nasty fumes from cars etc every time you walk down a city street.

10. RainyDayHype

I'm not in the UK and comparing car fumes to second hand cigarette smoke is irrelevant. It's a totally different issue.

11. BlackBillBlake

You think second hand smoke is worse than car exhaust? Diesel fumes?

Also even if you only smoke neat weed it's still not exactly good for your respiratory system, may actually be worse, as there's heavier tars in the smoke.

12. RainyDayHype

I never said second hand smoke is worse than car exhaust. Car fumes are an environmental issue. I'm talking about second hand cigarette smoke as a social issue.

13. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

Just like smokers have to Not smoke in certain areas, around here anyway non smokers should observe where smokers can smoke and avoid that crowd or move away.
    Non smokers have managed to move smokers outside, then away from most doorways and now want them to not be allowed anywhere which is kind of pushing it to the far limits. What makes me laugh is a dope smoker who gets offended by cig smoke.
    My friend's buddy used to make him go outside to smoke his cig but didn't mind lighting a refer in his house anytime, my buddy was kind of put out by that so he quit going to visit him, then the guy asked why? The buddy even made a fuss going into places where some smokers were outside smoking. Makes ya wonder was that guy an X smoker cause they can be the worst.
    Non smokers don't think they have been given enough yet and they will keep going till they win, then what?
    Ya sorry Rainy but if I was pregnant I would avoid outdoor crowds or smoke allowable areas, less chance of getting it in your face. They already have little rights of where to light up yet weed smokers want it legal, watch where they will smoke once it's allowed,,, everywhere, in your face and all over the place.
    My friend smokes her weed walking down sidewalks because she feels she is allowed just because she has a medi card to smoke it. She smokes it while we go for walks, she don't care.

14. BlackBillBlake

But a social issue that impacts on the environment.

How do you feel about second hand cannabis smoke?

15. Moonglow181

reminds me of my mom who smoked cigarettes, and people would say something to her, and she would rip them apart by telling them what about your car you left idling there and then a whole slew of other things..and I cannot be as sarcastic as she was..boy, she had everyone beat with her tongue....LOL

16. RainyDayHype

I never said I was pushing for smokers to have even more limited areas to smoke. My point is that smokers are rude and don't consider people that aren't smokers around them. Nobody wants to smell that shit. It's common sense not to blow smoke into someone's face, rather it be cigarette smoke or cannabis smoke. If they're smoking in the first place, I guess it shows little to no regard for human life (for themselves), so I guess it's asking a lot for them to show respect to any other human by not subjecting them to their second hand smoke..

17. RainyDayHype

I already said I don't mind people smoking weed around me. Sparingly that is. Too much is just too much. I'm an occasional user for health benefits.

18. RainyDayHype

So I think cigarette and cannabis smokers should both take into consideration those around them. It seems I encounter more cigarette smokers that have a sense of entitlement that they can smoke wherever they want. I bet if I asked someone smoking weed if they would put it out because it was going right into my face or if I told them I was pregnant, they would be more polite about it.

19. Moonglow181

Yeah, but not all cigarette smokers are rude....you encountered a rude one, yes, that should not have been smoking in close proximity to anyone.....that is agreed.....but to go on an attack about it is rude, too.....You should have politely told hm the first time you were pregnanat and if he could please not smoke first...before waging war...right?

cannot lump all smokers into a rude category and saying they have no regard for human life and their own.....either.

20. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

Wrong, once it's legal they won't. Just like a friend said she worked at a gas station and peeps wouldn't shut their car off at gas pumps. Or when parked to smoke their weed in working parking lots...