The 4 Hour Work Day

Discussion in 'The Future' started by PacifistEgalitarian, Apr 17, 2014.

1. PacifistEgalitarian

PacifistEgalitarian Member

With advances in automation and the possible issue of technological unemployment, we might need to consider a future reduction in the work day for different types of jobs.

http://www.4hourworkday.org/benefits

1 person likes this.
  2. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Sure.Pay decent wages and job share.Would decrease unemployment and give people more time off to enjoy life.

3. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

Try out the 28 hour workday...it's not really "work" tho if it's something you enjoy doing.

Sometimes there's no work too cuz u gotta wait on paperwork and shit.

I agree the unemployment rate is outrageous and that only count people actively seeking employment....not all those welfare fucks that buy cartons of cigarettes and sell loonies on the street. That's kid shit

15% unemployment my zip code

http://www.city-data.com

I can look at all the census data down to the block or two radius

You can look up any zip code, state city w/e

Some of the info is very tentative tho cuz a lot is estimates on 2011 data. Just like my gas bill is estimated...

4. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

If I was working for someone else I would like to work 4 hours a day. Was never an option at places I worked. For myself tho it's kinda hard to think that way but I do have others doing the work sometimes and I still feel like I am working all day. Kinda hard to look away from your own business that way. Mind you in time I might just farm it all out and just do the paper work.

5. AceK

^pharming will get you a federal case.

Sometimes u work 4 hours get sent home too

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

If all progresses well money becomes obsolete and so will workdays with a mandatory amount of hours :2thumbsup:

And when we all can work where we fit, are needed and/or would like to it will be something we don't mind doing (in most cases of course :D)!

7. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Automation doesn't allow people to work less. It requires that that those replaced by automation to please leave the premises. You no longer have a job. Or you won't get hired in the first place because machines are holding the jobs that people used to do.

8. Asmodean

Fuck the economy! You shouldn't want to be hired to save something that doesn't serve you. Just work for yourself :2thumbsup:

9. RandomVegan

RandomVegan Member

I seriously doubt those running things are going to stand for it - they would rather just dump people homeless and let them starve - right now for the average job in this country you have to work yourself to death just to go deeper in debt

10. PacifistEgalitarian

PacifistEgalitarian Member

You mean like this: http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=485982&f=293

11. Asmodean

Kinda like that, yes! :)

12. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I believe eventually we will be freed from the slavery and forced labour that very much exists today.

13. Asmodean

What! Do we agree about something, you old nihilist!? How is that possible, the future must be glorious for sure now :daisy:

14. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Haha I don't consider myself to be a nihilist, but it is certainly a joy to agree with someone who is reasonable and has common sense. :2thumbsup:

15. AceK

You can make money doing almost anything. It doesn't have to be even what you would usually call "a job" but it has to suit you, and you should like it else why are you doing in the first place?

16. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

I suppose most people do it because they have bills to pay and they are caught in the web of consumerism.

17. Asmodean

Yeah people simply have to make a living, I understand. But a lot seem to buy into the stereotype too, that if you don't have a kind of job that is socially accepted (like something as irrelevant as a 7 or 8 hour workday) you're a loser or leecher.

18. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

Right, problem is some must work a while at what they might not like but should use that time to think about what they would like and this might include educating while working that crappy job,,, or simply looking at what feels right and keeping the eyes open for the opportunity to jump ship on the crappy job and get into what is right for them.
    Every job I had I did enjoy but would never want to stay there as a lifer. I either took up a higher position, dumped the job eventually or moved just to move not knowing what was ahead in the new place and started on a crappy job for a short while till I found the one I wanted. Now, I did what you said above, found my way to make money at home how I like and no micro chip or machine should be able to take it away.
    More jobs are happening this way as they needed to and some people are glad for the major losses of job to kick them in the pants to make those jobs themselves, some are still hoping for something to come their way.
    I know lots of people who say they hate their work but they are a lifer anyway because it pays well. Never have I stayed long at one job, even if I liked it lots. I get bored and gotta move on. Now I can't get bored, this is my baby and I have to keep it going for me.

19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

if all the work that actually needed to be done, were evenly distributed among everyone willing and able to do it, four hours a day, four days out of the three six day weeks every solar 'month' would be entirely sufficient.

in a rational world, and we HAVE the technology to build such a rational world now, the reasons we haven't have nothing to do with technological capability, the average person working 16 hours a week, and that only because they felt like it, but were responsible enough to honor their commitments, would then be able to spend an equal or greater amount of time keeping current on developments in their field, broadening their horizons to encompass other fields, and doing the kind of creative 'work' we, as humans, have always been meant to do.

nor would those who found free public food and shelter adiquite to their wishes be any great or even noticeable burden.

the great myth of need for people to slave long and many hours, is only to fill the pockets of short sighted greed.

this is not even a new proposition nor capacity. it has been perfectly possibly since the mid 1960s, if not even from the very earliest beginnings of social organization. but the technological capability to enjoy familiar levels of infrastructure and gratifying existence, yes, we've had that since the mid 60s at least.

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

What happens to you wage in all this. Does the pay double to compensate less work time? Or does it stay the same. Cause if it stays the same who gives a flying fuck whether you work 2 or 4 hrs, motherfuckers gone need work 8 still.