A hippie DIET

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by SMS090, Apr 12, 2014.

1. SMS090

SMS090 Member

Looking back, I've always been a hippie at heart, my biological parents were hippies and I recently saw and old photo of when we lived in a caravan park and guess what vehicle they owned?? A VW KOMBI!!
    My adoptive mum was also a hippie in her much younger days.
    Anyhoozer, I have recently started to get into the hippie lifestyle, playing the guitar on the grass (the legal grass hahaha) talking to/hugging trees, connecting more with nature, I have tried pot but it's just not my thing, I WOULD try some in brownies but I'm not desperate.
    I dont agree with smoking marijuana as any smoke is bad for your lungs, however I agree with consuming it now and then.
    I drink tea out of jars and use organic honey instead of sugar, i LOOOOOVE Bob Marley, Joan Baez, Donovan, DEFINATELY John lennon etc. you get the point.

Anyway, I was thinking last night about going on a picnic at a secluded creek or river and just listening to music, writing poems, and making dream catchers and I was also looking up what time of foods hippies mostly eat.
    I went to the shops today and just improvised, I got a loaf of sourdough bread, alfalfa sprouts, strawberries, pepper crackers and hommus, fruit etc and my shopping rounded up to $68!!!!, saying that, it should last me breakfast lunch and dinner for 2 or 3 days.
    To cut down on the cost, I have a veggie seed bulk pack (lettuce, eggplant, pumpkin, tomato, cucumber, celery, carrots, beetroot, parsnip, beans, peas) to plant but it is early Autumn so I have to wait until spring to get them underway :(

What foods do you eat? do you find a hippie diet to be expensive?

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

It is spring here and tomorrow I plan to plant a large variety of herbs and vegetables.

Honestly, I would not worry much about the hippie label. Eat healthy because you want to eat healthy. Eating organic is expensive; decide for yourself if the health benefits are worth it.

Planting your own food will save you a lot of money in the spring and summer but a garden is a lot of work; make sure you do it because you want to be close to the earth and in control of your food supply, otherwise it will seem like too much trouble. Don't do anything just to meet a hippie quota.

3. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

I mostly eat vegan. If not vegan, then vegetarian. Lots of fruit.. tofu... I try to buy organic as often as I can but organic does tend to be more expensive, which is really a great deal of shame.

4. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

I never knew there was a hippie diet.

5. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

The classic hippie diet is boiled lentils,seven days a week.

6. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

Also a steady intake of tie dye shirts, and hemp jewelry for fiber.

7. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

All you need is Love..

8. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

And a little soy sauce.

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i tried the hippy diet once...they don't taste that good///

10. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Hippies are quite tasty.

11. tripesetboyaux

tripesetboyaux Guest

Ahahaha. Someone I knew once exclaimed, "Hippies eat whatever they want!" And someone else replied, "No, hippies eat whatever they can afford."

I think it's amusing that a subculture has a diet but I get what you're asking. So...
    Macrobiotic diets were really encouraged back in the day; soy was big, but now they find that it makes your body create false estrogens if you eat too much of it. The "hippie diet" is the "anarchist diet". Buy local food and whole ingredients. Learn to make your own bread, hummus, salsa, ketchup. Buy local dairy and eggs. Have chickens. Keep a garden. You can read about all this stuff on the internet.

If you don't have much money, buy dried beans, rice, and quick oats. Make the oats the way they say and throw on butter and brown sugar (I prefer pure maple syrup but it gets expensive.) Cook lentils and throw in a packet of taco seasoning and use them like beef in tacos and quesadillas. Foods like lentils and oats are nutritious and really cheap. Beans are too, and are really easy to prepare.

Here's this: http://www.wisebread.com/35-delicious-rice-and-bean-dishes

Look at your grocery store in the bulk foods section. You'll find really good organic foods, like beans and raisins, for really cheap.

Treat your body like a temple. Learn what it needs and give it to it gooooood

12. SMS090

SMS090 Member

Love it!!! thanks!

13. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

The hippy diet if trying to label one's self a hippy would be rice, oats, instant coffee and probably chewing tobacco.
    I dunno, never knew anyone wanting to do or eat certain things to become a hippie. I thought it was just natural and you did what you want to do. I never thought about a specific diet except that when poor and living in my motorhome rice was a given considering the cheap price and that it goes with anything else you can find, be it meat or veggies.
    Canned brown beans are always cheap and you don't even have to cook them, just don't lose your can opener. It's a bitch trying to run the can over with your motorhome, and then your beans are all over the road.

14. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Have you looked into being a "freegan"? Essentially, raiding the dumpsters behind major retail grocery stores for recently expired goods. I know some people who do this, and manage to score lots of great produce and other packaged foods for free. You would be amazed about the quality of food people chuck in the dumpster.

From a freegan website:

"Freeganism is a total boycott of an economic system where the profit motive has eclipsed ethical considerations and where massively complex systems of productions ensure that all the products we buy will have detrimental impacts most of which we may never even consider. Thus, instead of avoiding the purchase of products from one bad company only to support another, we avoid buying anything to the greatest degree we are able."

Sounds like a hippie diet to me!

15. Sallysmart

Don't know of I would try that dumpster diving thing or not. Maybe if really poor. When I was living in my motorhome I was poor but found enough jobs here and there to eat what I bought, was too proud to beg or borrow or steal anything but I always found a few bucks by doing someones lawn or helping some elderly people for a few hours.
    Can't say it was tough, more like an adventure I'd probably willingly do again if I had to. Each day was interesting, living in camp grounds and meeting a lot of people either camping as a holiday or making a life there like I was.

16. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I tried the hippie diet but frankly they are just not tasty at all. Maybe if you can boil the patchoulli stench out of them first it would be worth a try.

17. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Hippies live entirely on granola and pot brownies. It's the only things their digestive system can safely digest.

18. Sallysmart

Hey! Patch is one of my favorite scents!

19. Irresponsible

Irresponsible Member

Hippies like all people eat different things. but for the purpose of the thread my diet is cheap i'm a veg.

20. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I like it too but not in my mouth :sunny: