Divergent

Discussion in 'New Movies' started by Shale, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Shale

Shale ~

Divergent
    Movie Blurb by Shale

March 21, 2014

This sci-fi, dystopian future after some distant past war is my type of movie. Ppl are making comparisons to The Hunger Games, which I have not seen because the premise seemed too dark and sinister for my sensitive psyche. So I can't make a comparison to that, but other reviewers point out it is much different, based on a book trilogy by Veronica Roth. One reviewer says it stays closely to the books, but that is never my concern since I don't compare books with movies.

[​IMG]

This dystopian future does not look so bad. It takes place in a ruined Chicago and some arable land in the 'burbs all of which is surrounded by a huge barrier fence with high guard towers. (Those with a knowledge of history will call this a City-State).

They have devised a social system that has worked for them since the war ended a century ago where there are five factions and kids must choose to join one when they turn 16. They are: Candor (the honest ones), Erudite (the smart ones), Dauntless (the brave ones), Amity (the peaceful farmers) and Abnegation (the selfless ones). It seems like the Indian Caste system and even has a "Factionless" or Outcaste group, except you are not born into it and can choose a faction other than the one in which you were raised. They do a test to determine aptitude fitting each of these factions and ppl usually go to that one.

Except for Beatrice (Shailene Woodley) who was raised in Abnegation and is shy and retreating. When tested she test high for 3 different factions, meaning she is a Divergent, much feared by the powers that be. She is hustled out the back door by her tester, Tori (Maggie Q) and warned to tell no one of this.

At the choosing ceremony she shocks her family by joining the Dauntless faction, which is the military and police. She is off to boot camp where she is put thru rigorous ... well, it is boot camp - the TI's aren't nice.

The thing about this movie (Maybe Spoiler Warning Here) is that you can see a lot of the plot coming. Of the two gruf trainers are Eric (Jai Courtney) whom you know is just mean and up to no good.

Eric Training Instructor
    [​IMG]

And, it doesn't take long to see that Four (Theo James) who, tho putting on his ruf exterior is gonna take a liking to Beatrice - who is now known as Tris.

Four & Tris in Training.
    [​IMG]

You also know on first sight that the Erudite Suit, Jeanine Matthews (Kate Winslet) is basically as evil as a Wall Street Banker.

Erudite Conniver Jeanine
    [​IMG]

Yes, there has to be conflict and there are some nice action sequences with breath holding moments.

I enjoyed the movie, tho it was a bit long at 2 hours and 20 minutes. It, like all the other movies for young ppl is going to be a trilogy and I hear they are already working on the one for next March. That is, I suppose if this one makes money.

2. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I liked Hunger Games, and I really don't like most hollywood movies. There's things to complain about in it, but overall, it was quite good for a mass-market recent hollywood film. I don't think that you should fear watching it.

3. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I saw it this weekend at watch32.com

I really enjoyed it but then again I didn't have to pay to see it, nor did I have to fight driving through heavy rain and wind, pay for parking, $8.00 dollars for popcorn, $6.00 dollars for a soda, $4.00 dollars for a box of dots, ........etc...:(

Hotwater

4. pitbullmoma

pitbullmoma Member

I have not seen it yet byt did see Hunger Games and it is not that bad and if I could watch it you can becouse I am the same way.:)

5. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

You can still see it for free ... although occasionally you'll see someone briefly stand up then sit down in the theatre while the pirate was filming.

Hotwater

6. Shale

Shale ~

You get what you don't pay for.

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I thought it was alright...and interesting enough to watch the sequels when they come out

8. Annwyn'Bri

Annwyn'Bri Member

I liked Hunger Games (although the books are better) and I liked the Divergent books, so I will probably see this movie as well.

9. Reality is BS

Reality is BS Member

This movie was unwatchable, I walked out after gritting my teeth for an hour. There is nothing realistic or plausible about this movie, not even one thing. The story line is impossible, the actors are impossible, the makeup is impossible, the whole thing is beyond silly. A young girl get's into the ring with a guy who outweighs her by fifty pounds, he proceeds to beat the sh*t out of her, she wakes up after a day of being unconscious with a tiny purple bruise and a little cut on her eyebrow. WTF? If that wasn't enough she jumps out of bed and runs after a train like an Olympic athlete. I realize movies are fantasy but there should be a limit.

10. princessokay

princessokay Member

When I seen the previews it reminded me of The Hunger Games previews. Even though I haven't seen it nor have any intentions to, Divergent looked absolutely phenomenal, and it was.
    10/10 watched twice will watch many more times again.