End of employment?

Discussion in 'The Future' started by Coleco, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Coleco

Coleco Member

So.... there are all these people working on driverless car technology all over the place.. Seems like theres some pretty damn good progress going on too.. What are all the truckers going to do?
    I have considered getting my CDL, but I often fear that some day the job will be gone because the semi-trucks will self drive all the stuff.
    And if that happens, how close will the world be to having mcdonalds and grocery stores all automated by machines. Like what if when you go to mcdonalds the burgers and stuff all pop out like some kind of vending machine because the kitchen cooks the stuff without any humans needed to work in it? Like the burger patties would flip by a robo spatula, and the food would get deep fat fried by a robo hand. And it would all go onto a conveyer belt type thingy and you pop your money in the machine and your order pops out of it.

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

we're a long way from there culturally, but formal employment is certainly not the only way to organize a society. the common assumptions many people cannot or will not see beyond today, will very likely not survive changes forced by environment and population within a very few future generations.

a lot of wrong things do get automated first, because they are easier or sexier to do so. but the real end to formalized employment as we conceive of it today, will come from a very different direction.

3. Coleco

Coleco Member

Sexier??? Whoa what do you mean by it being sexier to have some things automated?? Sex androids or something?

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

as in popular appeal to those too lazy to think.