Time Travel aka temporal engineering

Discussion in 'The Future' started by theangrycanary, Feb 22, 2014.

1. theangrycanary

theangrycanary Guest

So look at the singularity and exponential technological progress.

Look at what we have accomplished in that last hundred years.

Now imagine a thousand years in the future, with exponential progress...

I have decided that time travel will obviously be possible at some point in the future. And that this is a good explanation for spiritual phenomenon.

In the past I was always frustrated by people claiming spirits had visited them, because the spirits never gave them any useful information. I was always like, "Well, if your dead relative came back to life just to smile at you in your room, couldn't they have come back and told you something useful, like stocks to invest in or something!?"

But I now look at it from the viewpoint of time travel.

I figure in the future, there will be two technologies. One is time travel/temporal engineering and the other is the ability to transfer your consciousness from one body to the next.

I figure temporal engineers will look into the past and save the consciousness of people they value. Deceased loved ones, famous people, talented people, etc.

From our point of view its all spooky and mystical and spiritual. But its probably no big deal from their point of view.

Just like a thousand years, ago if you stared into a crystal ball and told people that a meteor would hit in a week, you would be seen as a seer, but today, if you stare into your iphone and tell people a meteor will hit in a week, no one cares.

What do you guys think? I think its strange how the topic of time travel is still taboo.

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i am unaware of the topic of time travel being taboo anywhere other then p.r.c. china. if it even actually is there.

there would be many good reasons to not do it, even were the capacity to develop the technology available.

as for transfering your awareness to someone else's body, robbing of them of their body while they're still using it themselves isn't a very nice thing to do. some might even consider that an act of murder.

now storing your awareness externally, and transfering it into an embrio before another awareness has attached itself to that new life might be reasonable.

when a world is interdicted as earth has been, that is often the only way to be on that world, among its people, legally.

of course it involves the annoyance and inconvenience of having to go through childhood, but it certainly makes you a part of it.