Why Do Some Atheists Read bibles

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by roamy, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

See the thing is, when you live in a mostly religious society you are many times forced to simply keep your mouth shut. For instance when I was sworn in as Alderman for city council, the oath was "under god"...there is of course an exemption, but it would have required I basically make a spectacle of myself and I felt that would have compromised my standing with my constituency, so I just let it slide.

People think there is a separation of church and state in the US...on paper maybe but in practice, no frickin' way

2. roamy

roamy Senior Member

true.

3. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

This assertion depends on the context of the regard for the law we believe in following. The human law is such a failure to contain for the born and redeemed humanity to really have explanations in science or any other rational means to why some people persist in breaking certain laws. It is well to explain that the Whole doesn't know what they are doing.

True? It isn't true.

4. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My father, who was an atheist said it was the best piece of fiction ever written.

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

why do people without cars read maps? ..

6. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

I know what you mean. Know what I mean? They read the map to understand that they know what they are doing to the extent that their colleagues won't put doubt into their minds otherwise.:sunny:

7. wcw

wcw Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't believe in a god, but I think the bible is interesting. I believe that it is very much fiction (I don't know that, but I believe beyond my reasonable doubt), and entertaining with bits of wisdom. It has been years since I opened one up though.

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

presumably for the same reason they read the zend avesta or hua hu ching.

why do people socially organize on the basis of the speculative arbitrariness of any shared belief?

9. roamy

roamy Senior Member

so what did you do ?are you an atheist gong ?and if so the under"god" bit being said would just have been two words. an" empty formula" that has no meaning to you.so it would'nt have made any difference .when our deputy prime minister eamon gilmore,our minister for foreign affairs an trade was challenged by atheists about saying the god bit under oath,because he is an agnostic,his reply to them was fuck off! ha! ha!with saying that, for atheists who are atheists because of bible religion being forced on them,i can understand why "empty formula or not,that that might be a bigger thing to them.but for atheists who are'nt atheists for that reason they might see it differently.:)

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

This could already be reason enough. You don't have to be religious to read a religious book.
    And you don't HAVE TO have a dislike for the bible or religion to be an atheist!

Therefor the question of this thread seems to hold the same value (and can be answered the same) as the question: Why do some christians read Lord of the rings?

1 person likes this.
  11. roamy

roamy Senior Member

probably because they relate to the same shared belief or non-belief. i like to go with neither.having much stronger belief in reasoning and lodgic.

12. Ducati1198

Ducati1198 Banned

The quickest way to becoming an atheist is to read the "book of contradictions" better known as the bible from cover to cover.

What amazes me, is how many "Christians" just blindly follow along, having never read their bibles and are mortified by the content within when you start bringing the gratuitous violence to their attention.

1 person likes this.
  13. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

what amazes me is how some so called religious people are so full of shit. I walk the walk, and I am not even religious. Go figure.

14. Ducati1198

Ducati1198 Banned

In fact, if you really want to be blown away by craziness then read the book of Mormon. The Christians don't have shit on the Mormons when it comes to cornering the market on crazy notions.

15. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

A friend of mine read it when he was in the military because they only allowed religious books so he grabbed one of each religion they had a book for.

16. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

:iagree:

Education is the Cornerstone of Truth and Knowledge :)

17. AiryFox

AiryFox Member

:2thumbsup:

18. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

The assumption here is that it's the Christian god in whom atheists don't believe.

But you could be an atheist who had no idea of what's in the Bible and disbelieve in the Koran or the Bhagavad Gita, if you'd been born into one of those cultures.

19. Ducati1198

Ducati1198 Banned

It's all nonsensical poppycock BlackBill, no matter what tag you hang on it. I do have a Quran around here somewhere, but not enough time to waste reading it right now. Probably not gonna happen now till winter.

20. Beca012

Beca012 Member

OP, please take off your biased religious glasses and see the world through a larger perspective. Some people do not believe in God. There are people who believe in spirits or several gods or deities. Some do not believe in anything at all! And this is OK. It does not necessarily mean that they were raised in an immoral family! For being a Christian, you sure seem to be very judgmental.

Try to spread positive energy and love around you instead of hate. Embrace the differences that exist between individuals; this is the beauty of humanity. We are so different and every single one has got their own way of looking at life. Instead of raising arms towards others, you should try to learn a thing or two about them. I'm not telling you to abandon your faith, not at all! But be open to how others think, how others work. You will gain so much from this.

:daisy: