Problems facing the youth of today

Discussion in 'Ask The Old Hippies' started by Sunflower Sky, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Sunflower Sky

Sunflower Sky Member

What are some of the biggest problems facing today's generation? besides rampant bitchassedness...

Let's discuss. Please explain your answer. (I feel like I'm writing a test question!)

And don't forget to have a great day :sunny:

2. volunteer_tommy

volunteer_tommy Elongated Member

Getting them to open there minds instead of being victim to the mass media, pulling them out of their cell phones, independent creative thought, etc.

It really depends on the individual, though. There are a slew of growing, new problems that face us as a group as well... I don't know which worry me more

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't know. It can differ per youth, or per country as well? :)

4. uitar9

uitar9 Member

Getting older?

1 person likes this.
  5. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

:smilielol5::rofl:

6. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I think just the level of dysfunction is a huge problem.

That, and the job market.

7. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Same shit, different day.

8. -Yggdrasil-

-Yggdrasil- Einherjar

The job market does suck particularly because we are advancing in technology. Kids have now been replaced by automatic checkouts. I refuse to use them unless I'm planning on knocking something off or paying less money for tomatoes and fruits. I used to dislike how companies would just make up jobs. Costco here has people at the door when you leave that check receipts. By "check" I mean look at them and then smile back at you. I figured what a pointless made up job. Nowadays I feel it necessary because technology is taking over.

1 person likes this.
  9. happilyinlove

happilyinlove with myself :p

They don't appreciate the value of time and waiting, or effort and hard work.

For example, back in the day we had to use our brains more to travel to find a book, look through several books to find the answer to something. Now they can just google and get an answer. This cheats them of the experience of hunting for info, it seems thats a valuable problem solving process.

Also, everything is easier nowadays. Seems like they are lazy.

I say this and I'm 29.

10. -Yggdrasil-

-Yggdrasil- Einherjar

That's true. Their attitudes are half the problem.

11. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I don't blame the kids.There's too much pressure and now everyone knows the score.System is rigged for the lucky few at the top.Kids can see that and I don't blame them for acting up.No it's not pleasant to see but I don't envy the youth of today.There's so much negativity on display and they just suck it up because they're impressionable.The kids are all right.

12. Cheesesteak

Cheesesteak Member

They dont appreciate the value of hard work.

13. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Okay bossman.

14. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Yes but why,begs the question?

15. Gongshaman

Hard work itself has no intrinsic value, it's the results that count.
    Without appreciable results hard work is valueless and could in some cases even be detrimental.

I would say, (and I think this may have been your point as well Cheesesteak) the millennials have been robbed of the experience of 'delayed gratification'... or to put it another way, the devotion of long hours, months, years of study and practice needed to master a complex task, like learning to play a musical instrument for instance...I teach guitar and I notice a lot of kids just want spoon fed until they get bored and their micro-attention span flits to their next fantasy. If they aren't getting immediate results they lose interest.

You don't know how many times I've heard things like this in passing...

"oh I tried learning guitar, after a couple of months I decided it was harder that I thought and it really wasn't for me anyway":rolleyes:

16. usedtobehoney

usedtobehoney Senior Member

I don't know a lot of teenagers, but I don't see much of a difference between elementary school kids today and elementary school kids 20 years ago when I was a kid. So I don't know...but..."you can't fight against the youth, cause we're strong, them rude, rude people".

17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I think what you say is right but I disagree this is typical of todays youth. It was already common knowledge in my youth that half of the kids that start playing an instrument will not have the attention, discipline or interest to master it fully. It most likely always was a common thing, what maybe has changed the most is the environment most youth here grows up in. Now the majority lives in luxury or with luxury expectations, where most kids a century a go would have to do it with less options and opportunities.

18. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

Thread stuffiness score...I give it an 8.

19. Gongshaman

I think there is just a lot more available entertainment, more distractions for kids. Hell, if they had the cool video games and what-not they have now when I was a kid I probably wouldn't have had much impetus to make my own entertainment either.

20. laughing-buddha

laughing-buddha Relax and have fun

1 Illusion.

They often get enchanted with the illusions, can not differentiate between what is real and what is virtual. Internet is a biggest contributor to this.

2 Confusion

What is good? What is bad? How do values and morals help in long run? They do not know this. Neither they have strong ideals they should follow and stick to.

3 Segregation

Now the society is fragmenting. Everyone is an individual. No togetherness. Even families are breaking apart. They do not know what it takes to be together and why should they

I remember one recent example- I went for a cup of tea/coffee, with 8 or 10 youngsters last week. What will you have was a common question and I could see on their face, everyone is thinking of expenses and then deciding. After that when we were leaving, each of them took out the exact change- his share. (Back in our times, it was not so. We were more open, more caring and more sharing as well. Someone (or if the amount is more 2 or 3) would pay. Remaining ones would invariable pay next time. If they don't we would chaff them openly. No one would feel bad.)

Anyway, the times have changed.