Cheap, Filling, and Healthy Meals

Discussion in 'Stoners Lounge' started by Popularity, Feb 5, 2014.

1. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

This thread has reminded me that I have a bag of 5 avocados that I need to eat. sushi time!

As for cheap, filling, and healthy meals, I'm a big fan of fried rice. Brown rice is healthy and cheap, and I just get whatever veggies are on sale and mix it in with a couple of eggs and maybe some cheap frozen fish (or cheap chicken or beef for the meat-eaters). Or even do a biryani style thing and cook it up with some yogurt... rice is so versatile.

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

You can pick your own mushrooms if you know what to look for. I've never actually done this but they're two dollars for enough mushrooms for a week's worth of salad at my local grocery store.

I also pick blueberries when they're in season - they grow wild along one of my favorite mountain hiking trails. They are very expensive otherwise, I agree., although the price does come down a bit when they're in season.

do you make your own sushi?

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

http://www.powerofmushrooms.com.au/health-nutrition/health-nutrition/nature-superfood/

:)

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

That's interesting. Especially about the vitamin D :2thumbsup:

I eat rice and beans at least once a week :2thumbsup: I looked it up because I guessed they're probably weren't called the same, so I mean kidney beans (we call them brown beans). Hah, I also read that if you cook them long they are toxic and that rice and kidney beans is a traditional Louisiana dish where they used to cook the beans for hours.... I just found that curious enough to share :p

5. eggsprog

Yeah we do, it's a lot of fun. Last time we did smoked salmon and avocado and it was so good.

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

another cheap meal idea (I thought of this because I'm eating chicken soup right now) is to make your own chicken and vegetable stock. Store bought chicken or vegetable stock or bouillon isn't particularly healthy for you because most store bought stocks and especially bouillons have way too much sodium and various additives and preservatives. If you make your own chicken stock from chicken bone you're getting all the nutrients from the bone and you can keep the sodium level down. A whole chicken can run $7 or $8 if you buy organic but you can make the chicken last several days if you use the leftovers for a soup.

for vegetable stock just save the ends of the vegetables you cut off and never use, freeze them, and throw them in a pot for 12 hours with some herbs once you've amassed enough veggie scraps. Just strain the broth and throw in fresh vegetables and you have a delicious soup!

7. PurpByThePound

PurpByThePound purpetrator

Eat the dead.

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Zuchini sliced longways like thick spaghetti works like spaghetti too, cos it doesnt break when you boil or stir fry

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I never ate an animal that was still alive :2thumbsup: (except maybe a spider or insect)

10. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

I like sardines and they are one of the best good for you foods you can eat. BF puts em in a sandwich. Me, I like to eat them right out of the can.

11. Lucy Sky Diamond

Lucy Sky Diamond Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I like sardines too! I load up on them when they're on sale. I like having them on rye bread, with a bit of mayo. Sometimes I'll make alfalfa sprouts and put them in the sandwich too.

12. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I eat sardines for breakfast every other day. I like them with mustard. I consider them a superfood, although my friends think I'm strange.

13. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

It can be if you go to the wrong shop.This only applies to people in Australia, if you join the Yahoo group WAPAus and you can ask where to find reasonable priced in your preferred shopping area. If you have trouble finding the group, PM me and I will send you an invite. I don't buy coconut oil from Fiji as I find it goes though me like Epsom salts. It is amber in colour instead of being transparent when melted. Coconut oil is marvelous stuff, I managed to cure my athletes foot with it.

14. Sallysmart

Please tell me about this athletes foot cure. A friend of mine has a chronic issue with it. He has to keep them very dry and once he fails to do that it can be days to heal and it bothers him partly because he is somewhat disabled too. He swims a lot and that might be part of the problem but he is looking for a cure or some kind of help. Using Tinactin for a long time as a preventative is turning his toe nails a dingy yellow shade and thats worrying him too.

15. -Yggdrasil-

-Yggdrasil- Einherjar

16. Sallysmart

Creams make it a moist situation, something to be avoided unless its an athletes med like Tinacton but that too causes issues. He uses the powder by Tinactin, seems to help most but its a must every day and they have to be completely dry or he has it right away. Drs cant seem to help, they prescribed another brand in the cream and he had skin break downs.

17. eggsprog

Coconut oil is pretty cheap at Costco up here.

18. Hedgeclipper

Hedgeclipper Qiluprneeels Nixw

that's what I was saying a couple pages back. Drop a can of sardines in an oven thing with onions, spices, leafy stuff, whatever, broil for 5 minutes, drop 4 eggs on top, broil for 7, salt and pepper, and you have a delicious sardine breakfast thing.

19. Hedgeclipper

Hedgeclipper Qiluprneeels Nixw

other suggestion:

take some cold cuts like ham or pastrami or something, put them on some parchment in the oven at like 450+ till they get crispy, put some cream cheese + other cheeses, onions, peppers, fried veggies, sadnwich inbetween the crispy cold cuts.

then make a salad with lots of vinnegar and fry some eggs, put the crispy cold cut, veggie and cream cheese sandwich on top of the salad and put the fried eggs on top of the whole thing thing and then eat it all together.

all it takes is some cheap ham, eggs, salad, onions, (cream) cheese and you've got a 5 star meal right there

another suggestion:

shred a bunch of cheese onto 3 salamis and put the salamis (cheese side down so it gets crispy) in a triangular formation on an oiled pan, then drop an egg in the middle, so it connects the 3 salamis. Once the egg is fried but still liquidy, fold the salamis over it and connect them together with melted cheese to make a triangular egg yolk-enclosing envelope of crispy salami. Then put this inside a toasted bagel with cream cheese/butter, add some salt and pepper and chilli, maybe some leafy greens. This is the ultimate breakfast sandwich because it keeps the egg yolk liquid contained and delivers it to your mouth hole.

best pasta easy & healthy pasta:

fried rapini + aldente pasta + olive oil, lots of shredded rapini, and lots of salt end pepper

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

this sounds tasty. i'm not a huge sardine person but I know they have lower levels of mercury than other fish so I would like to find a way to introduce them into my diet. I think this is a sardine recipe I could stomach.

as far as coconut oil.....if you buy coconut oil at a huge supermarket that doesn't really carry a lot of coconut oil, they're generally going to carry the most expensive brand. If you buy it at a store with a huge selection of coconut oil they will generally carry a generic brand. Whole foods has a cheap generic brand and trader joe's has a relatively affordable store brand.