Nose piercing help

Discussion in 'Body Modification' started by Daikini, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Daikini

Daikini Guest

I've had my nose pierced for nine months now, and I never had any problems with it. I took (and still take) really good care of it when I got it done, using the saline solution on it, and also using tea tree oil.

Anyway, I've been using the same exact piercing (never switching it out) since I had it done because I really love the style (it's an opal stud corkscrew) - but, of course, I take it out daily for about 10 minutes and soak it in some saline solution and I also rub some tea tree oil on my nose.

Well, yesterday, I took my piercing out to try and put a new one in, a ring. The piercing I've been wearing is made of cubic zirconia, and the one I put in yesterday was made of sterling silver. Well, I didn't like the way the ring looked, so I took it out after about five minutes and put my old one back in.

Ever since then, my piercing has been hurting - it's not a constant hurt, just a little pain when I try to take it out to clean it (like the soreness after you feel after you first get it done). There is no pus, discharge, blood or anything, it just feels tender.

Do you think it's infected, or am I just being paranoid? Could it just be a reaction to the sterling silver? I heard that you shouldn't put sterling silver in a healing piercing, but could I just be sensitive to it since I've only been wearing the cubic zirconia one for nine months?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, guys! :2thumbsup:

2. RubySoho6

RubySoho6 Organized Chaos

It could just be your bodies reaction to the different kind of metal. I suggest being careful with it the next few days, keep it clean and I bet it will be back to normal soon. My body reacts like that to different metals too sometimes. Give it a few days.

3. Daikini

Daikini Guest

Thanks for the quick response! I'll be keeping an eye on it just in case, but I'm pretty sure it was just from the metal.

4. lynzxx

lynzxx Senior Member

Leave it in while your're cleaning it if it' sore, you're probably just irritating the piercing even more by taking it out... :)

5. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

My nose doesn't like sterling silver for piercings. It's best to stick with surgical steel to stay on the safe side. But after it's healed, I don't think it's necessary to take it out so often. Maybe the reaction to the silver and then having the piercing taken out over and over afterward could be the reason it hurts now.