Thank you feminism

Discussion in 'Feel Good Feminism' started by Glasshopper, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

Calling someone a troll is light hearted? Sure why not? But then if that is true why didn't she direct her comments towards them instead of attacking Glass by calling him Joe Pesci? I feel like he was being attacked but if not I think in the future She should make sure to quote or name the people she is actually talking to to prevent confusion.

PS: I don't think the OPs post was Ridiculous at all considering he brought up valid points. Even if there was a thread about this already its obvious that there has been little to no change in the thinking of "equalist" feminists that must be addressed.

2. sunshine186

sunshine186 midnight toker

Oh certainly, quotes can help that.

The Joe Pesci thing came cleverly after he accused her of using the Crybaby Charge, when her troll comment was not even remotely close to that tactic. She never "shamed" him. And she never said anything like Suck it up or Be a man.

Misunderstandings. People should stop getting so caught up in the little comments. if it's an irrelevant comment, let it stay irrelevant!

3. sunshine186

He does have some valid points. and I agree that there is inequality across the board. But I still don't believe men have it bad. And I'm not a feminist at all.

But there are lots of things in this world that are never going to be fixed. And gender inequality is one of them.

4. Glasshopper

Glasshopper Struggling for sanity

80% of the suicides isn't having it bad? women (feminist) claim men are not considered disposable yet refuse to address this at all. do you not think men killing themselves is any problem we face? what if it was your brother/father/son? would it become an issue then?

Calling someone a troll for bring up REAL issues is calling them a crybaby.
    If she didn't mean me then why didn't she just say so instead of attacking me?
    IF that was the case I would have apologized for my misunderstanding.

If I should have walked away from that exchange because I may have misunderstood what should she have done?
    At least I am not "staff" here should she not be held to an ever higher standard?

5. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

So let me guess if someone disagrees with us like she has done many times before we just sit back and let her spout whatever names she wants because it's "clever" or "light hearted". Allowing others to shut you up because they don't like what you have to say is not something I stand for and I feel like that is what may be happening here. Also stating that gender inequality can never be resolved is basically saying no matter who you are you should take the abuse and deal with it because the problem can't be fixed. So your saying then that the feminist movement within itself is trivial under those guidelines. I feel everyone should have equal rights and should be treated fairly. From what I have observed of the world men have far less rights than women do in many places across the globe. If you don't think men have it bad you should read many of the laws that have been passed in favour of women and see how it affects men.

6. sunshine186

I don't know, bro, I don't make the rules.
    My perspective was that she was not referring to you. She "attacked" ( :rolleyes: ) you after you assumed she directed the comment at you, and you went off about it, rather than being the bigger person and moving on.
    But again, this is my perspective. this is not for sure what happened. all the more reason to just let it go.

As far as the suicides go, you're making it seem like men are committing suicide more because the world doesn't treat them equally. which is ridiculous. so... care to clarify? I think all suicides are a problem, not just one gender.

7. sunshine186

I don't know, nor do I care to know, the previous history.

I'm all for doing things to make a difference. Stand up for yourself, or for whoever you want. Do anything you can to make things better.

But there are still things that will never be fixed. Don't be naive.

8. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

I don't believe it is naive to think that any issue that comes forward can be resolved escpecially one we created in the first place. Believing that the issues present in our society can't be resolved opens a Pandora's box a chaos allowing other issues to go unresolved because many believe the world can't be changed. If we don't try nothing will change. If we do nothing things will only escalate and get worse. It is not naive to believe that this puzzle can be solved.

9. sunshine186

Well, I wish you the best on your journey.

10. Glasshopper

Yes they affect women but they affect men 4 times as much so marginalizing it is just plain silly. And to clarify as stated in the OP Most are due to the 80/20 split of children's paternity and complete parental alienation from them due to an angry ex and with the complete support of the court system so yes it is an issue of them not being treated fairly.

I have seen too many mothers use their children as weapons against their fathers and refuse to let (paying) fathers see their children despite him spending thousands upon thousands taking her to court. These judges decree they have the right to see them but do absolutely nothing to enforce it.

Suicide and its connection to fatherless offspring is a very serious issue that both greatly effect both men and children.

11. Glasshopper

Men don't have it bad?

even if you hate men enough to not give a fuck about their disposibility the toll on the children is dire, yet most "equalist" feminist are oddly silent about it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUIzZnZpWHA"]Why Dads Matter Parental Alienation, Child Suicide, Delinquency, Prison Fatherlessness - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPNFNhY-sIU"]CBC Metro Morning: Fatherlessness. Senator Anne Cooles - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpIUwJZ-57A"]Billy Wilson discusses fatherlessness his book "Father Cry". - YouTube

This is about Spain but here in the US The VAWA legislation is nearly as insane (especially considering DV is about 50/50)
    and it is causing similar problems. There are laws like this in MANY countries throughout the world.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjgBfklmYj8"]"False Accusations in Spain" - YouTube

Did you know that the courts are aware that about 90% of the abuse claims during a divorce are false but refuse to do anything about it?
    Why? because they get a cut as well as matching funds from the federal government for child support payments!

12. sunshine186

Fix the justice system. Good luck. If a fit father was denied rights, that is wrong. Not disputing that.

If a man stayed with a women that had someone else's baby, that's on him...

The male dominated military made it that way. Again, not disputing the fact that it is unfair.

Not exactly sure what this means... Not sure I want to.

I'm not sure why that is. Their homeless is caused by all kinds of things, but not because women are just handed things. Get a diploma, get a job. Not that hard. Men are paid more anyway.

Again, you can't put this whole issue on "feminists". The male dominated world and traditional roles made the military this way. Men CAN be forced into it, yes, but women are simply not ALLOWED to be in a position to get killed.

Not sure what you're getting at. Veterans are veterans.

.. Men are dumb.

I wonder how many females would be turned away if they applied.

Hmmmmm, that sounds like something an old school feminist would bitch about...

And I'm stopping here because there is sooo much and I don't even want to discuss the rape aspects. You'll never convince me men are raped more, even if you count all the dudes that won't admit it.

Are you here to raise awareness? Posting on a forum like this will bring plenty of people that disagree and plenty that will agree. And none of them are going to do anything to change anything about anything.

So go plan an event you little feminist, you :)

13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Read everything except the last post. (Learn to quote).

My only thought worth mentioning was towards the OP.
    Did you see that picture of the women marching? They had less rights at that time. If you want more rights back or equal rights guess what??? Its your turn to march.
    I honestly dont think it could ever be 50/50 because we are 2 different animals with different needs and different problems. Just one example...show proof that the custody cases are the reasons for the suicides. Because i bet i can find proof that most suicides are by people whos brains are wired differently than non suicidal people maybe that wiring is just more common in the male body...like kidney stones are...or is that some conspiracy theory too?

14. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

I did the quotes right for some reason it didn't do it this time. Looking into history the women that the first started feminism in America were not oppressed. Feminist claim that it was for the right to vote. The right to vote was first given to rich landowner. Then it was given to all men because they went to war and died for it. Two years later women were given the right to vote without having to sacrifice anything.
    15,000 to 18,000 Divorced Men Commit Suicide Every Year

http://www.fathers.ca/government_and_terrorist.htm

The Media Doesn't Publish & the Government Won't Release" Every year 24,000 men commit suicide. Every 22 minutes one male commits suicide. Based on the fact that a divorced male is 2.5 to 3 times more likely to commit suicide than the average male, the estimate for divorced men, most likely fathers since there is tremendously more trauma placed on them, committing suicide every year would be 15,000 to 18,000 men.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/03/15/...ce.suicide.wmd/

Men more likely to commit suicide after divorce, study finds

Men seeking a good reason to salvage their marriages may want to consider this: A new study finds that divorced and separated men are two and a half times more likely to commit suicide than married men.

Divorce, however, doesn't seem to lead more women to commit suicide -- a surprising finding considering the popular wisdom that women suffer more than men after a divorce, according to the study, published this week in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health.

Listen to the typical shaming language in the cnn article above (published in 2000). Little did this idiots know that the obvious other recourse was not to marry in the first place.

glennsacks.com | Distraught Father's Courthouse Suicide Highlights America's Male Suicide Epidemic

The other most common suicide victims are divorced and/or estranged fathers like Derrick Miller. In fact, a divorced father is ten times more likely to commit suicide than a divorced mother, and three times more likely to commit suicide than a married father. According to Los Angeles divorce consultant Jayne Major:

"Divorced men are often devastated by the loss of their children. It's a little known fact that in the United States men initiate only a small number of the divorces involving children. Most of the men I deal with never saw their divorces coming, and they are often treated very unfairly by the family courts."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/03/14/...ain171971.shtml

Men Wear Divorce Badly

Divorce may elevate suicide risk with raised psychological distress. (AP)

Divorced men face twice as high a risk of suicide as their married counterparts.

(CBS) How do married men fare after a divorce?

When it comes to some American men, apparently not well, according to a University of California sociologist who just published a large national study on divorce and suicide.

Augustine Kposowa of the University of California at Riverside, spoke from Los Angeles on his findings with The Early Show's Jon Frankel on Thursday."Divorced and separated persons were over twice as likely to commit suicide as married individuals," Kposowa states in his study. In fact, divorced men end up with twice as high a risk of suicide as their married counterparts.

He did not find such a high suicide rate among divorced women, however.

Kposowa gave three possible explanations, based on opinion.

First, he cites "financial obligations," adding that "The courts in the United States are in a position now whereby money is given to the woman, or the man is forced to pay alimony, child support. The man is also asked, in some cases, to vacate the house."

Kposowa also notes familial factors. "If a man loses custody of the children and the woman keeps those children, there are situations whereby she may not allow the man to see the children, and that causes some depression," he says.

And there are the methods used. "Generally the methods that men and women use to commit suicide are different. Men tend to use guns, for the most part, in the United States. In fact, in 60 percent of suicides that are committed are by a firearm, a gun."

"Women are, on the other hand, attempt suicide more often than men," Kposowa says. "Men are more likely to take their own life."

"Women tend to initiate divorce more than men," Kposowa notes. "They do think about suicide. They attempt suicide more often than men do, but men (are more likely to go through with it) because men use more lethal weapons, whereas women use less lethal weapons. If a man uses a gun, he's less likely to survive. If a woman uses drugs, medications,...her chances of survival are higher."

Read Sociologist's Study
    Click here to read part of the report.

Here are some key points, excerpted from the study's findings, when adjusted for the effects of socioeconomic status:

* Men were nearly 4.8 times as likey to commit suicide as women.

* African Americans experienced a risk of suicide that was 61 percent lower than that of whites.

* In general, the lower the level of education, the higher the risk of suicide.

* As for income, only those in households with incomes between $5,000 and $9,999 (inclusive) had a significant suicide risk.

* Residents of Western states had much higher risks of suicide.

* Persons 55 to 64 years old were 41 percent more likely to kill themselves than youths (15 to 24).

* Those 65 years or older had a suicide risk that was 61 percent higher than the risk exhibited by individuals 15 to 24 years of age.

How does Kposowa explain the connection? "It may be marriage confers health and many other advantages which divorced persons lack," he writes.

The different findings by sex occur, he argues in the report, because "Perhaps women form greater supportive networks, such as meaningful friendships at a higher level than men, and regardless of their marital status." So when their marital status changes, women have their friends.

Suicide Prevention Resources
    Call 800-SUICIDE
    (800-784-2433)

"Although divorce is a crisis and a profoundly stressful life event for many people, men and women react to the crisis and stress differently. Men kill themselves, but women do not," he further writes.

The study, "Marial Status and Suicide in the National Longitudinal Mortality Study," published this month in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health considered data from the National Longitudinal Mortality Study, from 1979 to 1989. The samples came from the Current Population Survey, by the U.S. Bureau of the Census.

The deaths of these men is equivalent to 5 or 6 9/11 incidents per year with children left without fathers and it doesn't cause a ripple in the pond of public, media or (big)government interest.

Your ignorant attitude towards male disposibility and the rights that have been stolen from men are alarming. Do you not care about equality? Women in America have far more rights and aid than men do. Maybe you should do some research before spouting information that has no basis in reality.

15. redgingergirl

redgingergirl Member

Sunshine your post stating "men are dumb" proves you are a misandrist and your hatred for men is quite obvious in your statements.

16. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Less fact checking more marching.

17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm pretty sure she doesn't hate men.

18. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

I've met a lot of whacky women, none were feminists.The feminists I know are all smart passionate and compassionate.

19. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I've seen the troll label used quite a few times. I've never encountered a lighthearted example.

You either genuinely believe that someone is just trying to get a reaction out of someone, or it's used because you hate what someone has to say and you want to shut them up.

I've yet to encounter a feminist who is open to criticism. I think that most feminists would like to silence any critics, and would consider any criticism of them to be "trolling", or what ever other label succeeds in silencing criticism.

The "feel good feminism" forum, while in principle ought to be the ideal place to discuss criticism, is probably the worst place to post it.

You'll just get a hostile reaction, and no one's mind will be changed.

Random thoughts might be a safer forum, in so far as a thread could not be labeled off topic. The men's issues forum in principle ought to be a safe place to discuss criticism too, but in practice, no.

20. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Huh, perfect for the music peace, "Working on a Chain Gang" by the Pretenders. She looks rather wacky though on the video....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.