Why is eternal life with anxiety?

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by Anaximenes, Jan 15, 2014.

1. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Nothing eventful in movement. Events are the minds attention being lulled to sleep, into dreaming, by reflecting on memory. There is nothing that has ever happened to change any extant state or energetically any true thing about you.
    You are always and ever an in common .

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

why is eternal life, associated with any belief or lack of it at all?

there is no other association between the two, then the claims of some beliefs that there is.

what is even meant by "eternal life"?

the possibilities are endless,

though there is one which seems most completely mythological,
    and that would be to experience familiar physical forms eternally,
    with all of the physical sensations they bring us.

3. thedope

If you take any particular beliefs in eternity out of the equation the question becomes why does life fret over extending itself.

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

eternity isn't what i "take out of the equation". expecting it to owe a damd thing to what we pretend (often in the form of religious beliefs) to know about it, is.

5. thedope

I agree reality has no special place for anyone and we are not obliged to any tradition regardless popular sentiment. At the same time we cannot escape the effects of our own thinking.

The question remains why is life ever worth fretting for.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i was unable to parse that as being the intended question. thank you for the clearification.

worth has little to do with it. insecurity is an aspect of physical existence.

although i do believe human society contributes more to that insecurity then anything beyond our own species in this universe or even on our own earth.

7. thedope

I find that the impulse to self protection/extension is steeped in the fact that I value my life. Is that not true of you?

It could be however that the impulse to self preservation is simply a psychic analogue of inertia, that things in motion tend to stay in motion. Regardless insecurity being an aspect of physical existence it might be nice to know whether it is a required aspect and if not it must be an interpretive aspect andsense of insecurity stands in relation to things we value and we don't invest energy either way in things we don't value.

Follow the money.

There is another aspect of what you say that I don't understand. Why do you feel human beings or human society to be an exceptional case in regarding energetic phenomena?

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

though possibly not unique in this, even among what we can observe from and on our own earth, human society is at the very least, extremely rare in willingly choosing to inflict illusions on each other.

i don't quite follow your connecting of concepts of eternity with the preserving of physical existence?

9. thedope

I'm not. My preamble to this specific point was disregarding any concept of eternity, the specific point being we don't demonstrate that we want to die but quite the opposite and why is the question. I don't see illusions being inflicted on each other I see people mesmerized by the abstract qualities of mind or confusion. I don't think abstraction is unique to the human mind though as all matters emerge from a sea of probability. A tree is an abstract of fundamental energetic functions.

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Why?

11. thedope

Because the same fundamental processes that make tree are the same as those that make salt i.e. the bonding of molecules or quantum arrangements. The patterned emergence of trees is choreographed by the shape of things fitting together. All trees having the basic construction of roots and branches the specifics of which are abstractions or variations of that. That is a basic idea that guarantees no specific tree species but accounts for all of them, not to say that trees are not real or substantive.

Abstractions may be formed by reducing the information content of a concept or an observable phenomenon, typically to retain only information which is relevant for a particular purpose. From plant we get tree and from tree, spruce tree.