Click to shop at Royal Queen Seeds
Photo
- - - - -

Wish You Could Go Back and Do School All Over Again?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 shygurl170

shygurl170

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationWhere the Green Grows All Around

Posted November 27 2014 - 10:39 AM

Yes, I agree! I plan on doing both!
  • You are never to old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.- C.S. Lewis
  • Don't Underestimate the seductive power of a decent vocabulary.  

#42 Mallyboppa

Mallyboppa

Nails Mc Fugger

• PipPipPip
  • 4,314 posts
  • LocationRuncorn GB

Posted November 27 2014 - 11:20 AM

#43 HumphreyB

HumphreyB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted November 28 2014 - 12:58 PM

I am in my second year of my second trip to college - I am getting so much more out of this experience than I did the first one. I am engaged and using my life experiences to help me understand content. I recommend it for everyone!

• Logan 5 likes this

#44 Logan 5

Logan 5

Confessed gynephile

• PipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted November 29 2014 - 01:07 AM

Private Tutor to take you through it all again???

I sometimes wish I could go back in school to do better, buy my text books, and keep all my work.

My thought is that if I am able to afford it ever, maybe getting myself a Private Tutor and having him or her take me through all the regular grades again.

I had a serious disadvantage when I was a kid.  I had impairments that neither I nor my family or even the cocksucker doctors knew much about.  Now, different story.

In fact, I'm looking forward to school this next spring.  College, round #? (Lord knows how many times I keep trying).  I hope, I pray, this time it all works out.  Just gotta work my ass off.  But I have a much better chance as I know a lot more about myself and my goals than I did  before.

Last time I went to college ended in failure back in 2000.

“Becoming a dissident is not something that happens overnight.  You do not simply decide to become one.  It is a long chain of steps and acts.  And very often during this process, you do not really reflect upon what is happening...You don’t want to become involved with the dirt that is around you and one day, all of a sudden you wake up and realize that you are a dissident, that you are a human rights activist.” – Vaclav Havel, former Czech President (1993-2003) & activist

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail.  He can be caught.  He can be killed and forgotten.

But four hundred years later an idea can still change the world.

"...You can't build a dream, without a plan...." -- Jefferson Starship ("It's Not Over", "No Protection" Album, 1987)

#45 I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear

voice of sexy

• PipPipPip
  • 38,842 posts

Posted November 29 2014 - 04:25 PM

I had a serious disadvantage when I was a kid.  I had impairments that neither I nor my family or even the cocksucker doctors knew much about.

if i could get my cock sucked when i went to the doctor's office, i would invent impairments to get me there more often.

• Logan 5 likes this

#46 drumminmama

drumminmama

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,363 posts
  • LocationPlanet earth, until I find a bigger playground

Posted November 30 2014 - 09:07 AM

Actually, I found the opposite to be true.  The kids in advanced classes are competitive mentally, not physically.  Big difference.  You end up socializing with "smarter" kids rather than roughneck bullies (who later become rednecks and cops!)  Sorry to hear your educational path didn't go so well.  Usually the staff will try to help kids out in your situation, but you have to ASK for help.

We still had to get from nerd land to home.
That can be the gauntlet.
Bus riders, walking, or my absolute fave, PE class. I was bruised from third grade onward, by fellow students. I left at the end of my sophomore year and after some drifting hit community college and university.
have or want long hair?
Colorado Forum

Unless I post MOD NOTE, I'm replying as a member of the community.

#47 skip

skip

If you don't know me by now...

• Administrators
  • 12,253 posts
  • LocationCloud 9

Posted December 01 2014 - 08:58 AM

Bus riders, walking, or my absolute fave, PE class. I was bruised from third grade onward, by fellow students. I left at the end of my sophomore year and after some drifting hit community college and university.

Good points.  Much bullying goes on outside of school.

Check out my Travel Journal!

#48 NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas

Old Fart

• PipPipPip
  • 7,330 posts
  • LocationIn the bowels of all mankind

Posted December 01 2014 - 09:05 AM

that's because people are assholes and view your difference as the whole embodiment of you, rather than acknowledging your uniqueness.

"Do the walls close in and suffocate ya,
you ain't got no friends and all the others they hate ya,
does the life you been leading gotta go?"

"get your shoes and socks on people,
it's right around the corner"

"the poodle bi-i-ites,
the poodle chews it"

#49 NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas

Old Fart

• PipPipPip
  • 7,330 posts
  • LocationIn the bowels of all mankind

Posted December 01 2014 - 09:14 AM

I was bored to tears in school, never really did much work, but aced tests and in the process frustrated and pissed off my teachers and councilors.

I took the GED at 16 and started college that fall at 17.

If I could go back and still retain my perspective from now, I would in a second if only to learn the discipline that could be gained from actually applying myself instead of fucking around.

the learning new stuff can be done anywhere, anytime, it is the discipline that I lacked.

"Do the walls close in and suffocate ya,
you ain't got no friends and all the others they hate ya,
does the life you been leading gotta go?"

"get your shoes and socks on people,
it's right around the corner"

"the poodle bi-i-ites,
the poodle chews it"

#50 thedope

thedope

glad attention

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,667 posts

Posted December 01 2014 - 09:18 AM

Teaching and learning is an unending process as long as we breath. I wish school to be more accessible.

#51 themnax

themnax

• PipPipPip
  • 19,772 posts
  • Locationa small green planet in a distant galaxy

Posted December 08 2014 - 01:37 AM

i'm not interested in retracing any step in this life or any other.  what i do wish we could all do, anyone who wanted to, is to take any accredited undergraduate class they felt like, any semister they felt like doing so, for absolutely free.

i can of course purchase and read books, practice on any equipment i can afford to buy, watch video tutorials and so on.  but sometimes it would be nice to be able to take an actual course, by an accredited professor, take the tests and earn the credits, even if i never actually applied them toward and kind of degree.

i would also like every college and university science and engineering library, to be open to the public, who, in most cases, actually pay for them.

and of course, i would like colleges and universities to spend more on each of their libraries, science, engineering and art departments, then they do on athletics.

(and i don't mean jacked up price, university infotainment "extension" classes either.)

Edited by themnax, December 08 2014 - 01:43 AM.

my nation is the imagination

this is the dawning of the age of zootopia

and thank god i'm not quite human

=^^=
.../\...

#52 BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake

Hip Forums Supporter

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,304 posts

Posted February 11 2015 - 01:56 PM

I did actually go back to full time education for a couple of years back in the 90's. I enjoyed it, and benefited from the experience. Unfortunately, I had to quit my degree course because of social pressures. 

That's the problem, or can be. When you're older it's more likely you have commitments to other things. In my case, I became a single parent after my marriage folded, and I couldn't do that and continue with the course. It seemed to me I should look after my daughter while she pursued her education - and that worked out well.

By the time my daughter was grown and settled into her own life, I'd gone off in other directions.

Academic study is good. But the school of life itself teaches the most valuable lessons.  So it often seems.

#53 Irminsul

Irminsul

Valkyrie

• PipPipPip
  • 16,736 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Deutschland

Posted February 11 2015 - 02:41 PM

No. I wouldn't go back. I mean I wish I could be 17 again with the knowledge of what I know now but meh, I've got a good life.

If I could go back to a time where I could pin point an event or cause of my depression and personality problems then maybe I'd go back and see things over. But I believe it just makes me who I am or who I've become, and that's me. So I don't know.

Red, white, black are our true colours
For these colours we will fight!
Red, white, black will crush the enemy
And will bring back what is right!

#54 Moonglow181

Moonglow181

Lifetime Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,806 posts

Posted February 11 2015 - 04:02 PM

no

#55 shygurl170

shygurl170

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationWhere the Green Grows All Around

Posted February 13 2015 - 07:04 AM

High School; not have been so damn shy; and would have taken Spanish

College: I liked college; would have continued with taking Spanish--as it would benefit my current job.

• You are never to old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.- C.S. Lewis
  • Don't Underestimate the seductive power of a decent vocabulary.  

#56 Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart

Grumpy old bitch

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationIn my treehouse

Posted February 13 2015 - 07:13 AM

I hated school from elementary through high school, the rules, the intimidation....I was always anxious. But, college changed my perspective, made me realize I love learning.  I got my degree  and enjoyed working in that field for 20 plus years, and took continuing ed as well as random college classes here and there.  2 years ago....in my mid 50's I went back to school and started a whole new career.

I still love learning :daisy:

If I could go back 20 some years....I would have home schooled my children.

Remember, no one is perfect, everyone's ass has a crack in it.

#57 themnax

themnax

• PipPipPip
  • 19,772 posts

Posted April 04 2015 - 12:12 PM

there are many things i wish life were longer so i could do more of.  i don't think i'd ever run out of classes i'd like to take if i didn't have to major in anything to do so.

(and didn't have to do anything else with my time and it didn't cost anything to do so)

it seems to me, that the main reason they've made higher education so expensive, is to keep people like me, from learning everything we'd like to.

i'm not interested in moving backward through time, but i am interested in some things many people mistakenly associate with doing so.

=^^=
.../\...

#58 IRQ42

IRQ42

Scientia Potentia Est

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,034 posts
  • Locationsegmentation fault

Posted April 04 2015 - 12:18 PM

if you are talking about high school, no i would not wanna go back and redo that dumbed down curriculum.

however, i wouldnt mind committing my life to going to school and never really graduating ... as long as i was being continually taught new things, the material was advanced enough and the pace fast enough for me to not grow bored.

theres always more to learn about any particular subject you are interested in. even if today you know all that there is to know about some subject, tomorrow there will be more to learn.
"Real programmers use a magnetized needle and a steady hand"

In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion ...

If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative
programs, by the same token they deserve to be punished if they
restrict the use of these programs.
-- Richard Stallman

https://github.com/IRQ42/
Posted Image

#59 Logan 5

Logan 5

Confessed gynephile

• PipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted April 07 2015 - 06:24 AM

In fact, I'm looking forward to school this next spring.  College, round #? (Lord knows how many times I keep trying).  I hope, I pray, this time it all works out.  Just gotta work my ass off.  But I have a much better chance as I know a lot more about myself and my goals than I did  before.

Last time I went to college ended in failure back in 2000.

And...another failure.  It seems the college students are nothing more than high schoolers that make the college their next 'hood.

“Becoming a dissident is not something that happens overnight.  You do not simply decide to become one.  It is a long chain of steps and acts.  And very often during this process, you do not really reflect upon what is happening...You don’t want to become involved with the dirt that is around you and one day, all of a sudden you wake up and realize that you are a dissident, that you are a human rights activist.” – Vaclav Havel, former Czech President (1993-2003) & activist

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail.  He can be caught.  He can be killed and forgotten.

But four hundred years later an idea can still change the world.

"...You can't build a dream, without a plan...." -- Jefferson Starship ("It's Not Over", "No Protection" Album, 1987)

#60 themnax

themnax

• PipPipPip
  • 19,772 posts

Posted April 19 2015 - 12:18 AM

i wish i could go forward or sideways to someplace where university engineering libraries were free and open to the general public. 

as they were most places i lived in the 70s and even well into the 80s.

where the purpose of education was to make useful knowledge, skills and abilities available to all who might wish to seek them,

and not to hoard useful knowledge by privatizing it.

where you didn't even have to take classes, but could take as many or as few as you felt like, in whatever subjects might happen to interest you.

where news isn't infotainment, learning isn't propaganda, and both are about a real universe that isn't about hierarchy or little green pieces of paper.

=^^=
.../\...

Click to shop at Herbies Head Shop