Adult 50 plus Commune Idea

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by stormountainman, Dec 15, 2013.

1. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

To add: I still have one friend over the sea in Aloha land. And one can go to the Honolulu Advertiser to check some things out.

1 person likes this.
  2. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Hey Brother Joel, I think you are right when you said getting to the Islands is the issue. I don't know how I would get there, unless I strap pontoons on the sides of my Econoline Van. I still like Oregon the best. I know we can buy a nice place around Roseburg for 75K. When you get back from the coast the prices drop.

1 person likes this.
  3. TexasHippyWoman

TexasHippyWoman Members

That is a great plan, Al....Why did we not think of that sooner...You could probably give some that need rides a ride also...:)....I misplaced your cell number..please send to me...ty...Blessings...:)

4. stormountainman

What happened to all the old Hippies who want to live together and sing together?

5. tripoli

tripoli Member

It's a great idea, and you're not alone. I've been thinking about it, too, and I'm almost 52.

I've also been thinking about "virtual communes" where everybody lives in their own places, but they figure out ways to buy food, health care, and other things as a coordinated group, saving money.

1 person likes this.
  6. stormountainman

Hi and thank you for the kind words. It would be great to have a good group of friends all in one spot. I don't know about the "virtual" where everyone is in their own spot. The commune feeling would not be there. It would be only a co-op of buyers. Living together means you get to play guitar and sing together, after taking a meal together. Who knows, some folks might want to shower together?

7. OldKid

OldKid Members

If you don't mind an Oldkid I'm in Colorado and can cook, grow tempeh and medicinal mushrooms. I have a good amount of health related knowledge and can labour till the cows come home.

My girlfriend and I are looking to move up to gunnison or montrose at the begining of March just to be closer to nature and away from the city. I feel I've been getting that same call lately that Tyrsonswood had expressed. I've had this crazy idea brewing for awhile that I would get some people together and grow food forests and covert earth sheltered greenhouses in the national forest and feed people for free. Not that the old hips would want to do that LOL. I've just been living an alternative lifestyle, being personally off the grid, so to speak, too long. I either have to find/start a commune or live off the land; every renter wants a verified employer and good credit.

I don't blame you for wanting to keep it to the seniors; everyone my age seems to just be caught up in the 'scene' or practicing willful blindness. The ones that aren't are scattered and apathetic.

1 person likes this.
  8. stormountainman

Hi Oldkid, I am in and out of Fort Collins all the time. We have been looking at that place in Walsenburg (mentioned earlier above) and cannot seem to get enough financing to get it. There are a couple of others that I am looking at. Keep in touch and we'll put something together with the other folks. Peace

9. bennyl

bennyl Members

Hello
    This is my first time on this forum
    Im an older man, 59 years young, who no longer has anything keeping him in one place
    Looking for a piece of land to purchase to sit an rv on till I can build a shop to tinker and get another garden up and going
    Im from Pa and was looking for a warmer climate where land is reasonable and the government is not
    so restrictive as it is here. May buy an rv come this summer and pull up stakes

10. stormountainman

Don't take your RV to Fort Collins Colorado because the local cops are a bunch of scumbags. You'll get a ticket and it ain't cheap. There are lots of free camping spots in Arizona and Nevada. Some of the land is cheap there, but water is hard to get. In front range Colorado you've got to drill about 350 feet and spend 8 grand. I've been looking to get a bunch of older folks together to go in together to get a place. I found some earthships in Colorado and New Mexico but they haven't worked out because the structures did not meet mortgage lender rules. Now I'm looking at Upper Michigan, Oregon, and some parts of Indiana.

11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

If you are looking at Michigan you're almost here...

12. stormountainman

True, and I do like southeast ohio, near WV. I do like upper Mich, because it is so much like the far west. Next month I'm going to drive out to Laughlin NV and Bullhead City AZ. Got a Bud working construction there and his friend gave him a house on top of a Mesa to live in for the time being. I had a major operation last year and I want to enjoy what time I have left on this planet. Peace

13. stormountainman

OK, so what's happened to all the older Hippies? Is everyone in government housing or recovery centers? Doesn't anyone one want to cook together, plant together, play music and sing together? I don't want to live in a Republican world. I want to live in a Hippy world!

Mary Billups likes this.
  14. Blu3sLady

Blu3sLady Members

I'm still here. I tried reforming our small commune last year.. with limited success. I'm totally NOT interested in adding males under fifty. Can't put up with the bullshit. If ya'll are serious about doing something along these lines... look into land in the Missouri Ozarks. It's about 1k n acre here and lots of places have year-round springs. Wherever you decide to settle.. make plentiful fresh water your first priority... as I did.

Mary Billups and stormountainman like this.
  15. stormountainman

Good water makes sense to me. And I like the Ozarks at all times except for the very hot summers. I keep thinking of Michigan. Land is cheap there.

Mary Billups likes this.
  16. Blu3sLady

Blu3sLady Members

You're thinking of the Arkansas Ozarks. Our summers are not that bad, here. We're closer to Branson.

Michigan?? Oh good lord. Wicked winters and the worst water. Have you not been keeping up with Flint?

Look first at a fracking map of the US and then don't move anywhere on that map.

1 person likes this.
  17. Tyrsonswood

Nope... I'm growing root into my property here.

18. stormountainman

Flint is not an example of Michigan. There are nice places in Michigan. As far as the fracking goes, I say you are very right. I know people who have 68 acers near Rifle Colorado and their water went from nice to crap in no time. Fracking does ruin water aquifers.

19. stormountainman

I remember you had said that you loved your place. It sounded nice. My X wife's mother is from Little Hockings on the Ohio river. So, I'm familiar with your neck of the woods. My problem is that I love Colorado and the west; but, I takes money to buy and live there. If I sell a couple of my books, it would not be a problem. Otherwise, at my age I have to contend with debt to income ratios that my banker keeps reminding me about. I'm not a rich lawyer like you Mr. T!

20. Tyrsonswood

I'm not a rich lawyer... I'm actually way below poverty level.

A rich lawyer did build this house originally, but I'm not that guy.