Adult 50 plus Commune Idea

Discussion in 'Communal Living' started by stormountainman, Dec 15, 2013.

1. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Any adults here interested in a new commune? I was thinking of a gathering of a few people in their 50s and 60s who would like an affordable place to live and share in cooking and things like that. I am too old for the heavy partying but would like to share meals, play guitars, and sing together like we did in the 70s. I have thought about doing it in Oregon, or somewhere in the Northwest. Arizona might be nice since winters are mild. I owned a house before and would like to buy one with some acreage. I live in Colorado but it is getting too expensive in my county.

2. Amontillado

Amontillado Member extraordinaire HipForums Supporter

I can see it now, a retirement home for hippies. The slogan will be "Never trust anyone under 70".

3. stormountainman

Amontillado, I think that I understand your position on this idea. It sounds like people like you in the in the UK are a little less tolerant of others. Here in the USA, there are many older progressive people who would want a nice safe easy life in a small community where everyone helps others when they can.

4. Amontillado

Amontillado Member extraordinaire HipForums Supporter

Are you believing I'm in Merrie Olde England? Not so, I'm in rock-ribbed New England, definitely a part of the USA, though there may be times when both sides wish we weren't. But curb your prejudices, my friend! It isn't as if there's much shortage of intolerant folk this side of the Atlantic. And as for those poor humor-impaired people, my dear we are overrun with them.

I'm not opposed to the mature-adults commune. Please forgive me if I can't help thinking of jokes about it.

5. stormountainman

Alright, since you asked me to forgive you, I'll do that. Please understand that there are many older "Hippies" who lived through the sixties and seventies, who today might be on limited income and would be glad to have the chance to live with, and gather with, Hippies their own age. I was also thinking that folks in that age group might not want all night parties, or heavy drinking. The older you get, the more mellow you will become. I still think that it is a good idea and hope to hear from interested Hip Folks.

6. granny_longerhair

granny_longerhair Member

I wish you well :) ... Arizona is indeed nice in the winter, but it can also be an inferno eight months out of the year. That's the southern and western parts of the state I'm referring to. The northeastern third of Arizona, while not in a class with someplace like Minneapolis or Edmonton, nonetheless gets very cold and receives a ton of snow. People don't believe it, but Flagstaff, AZ gets more snow each winter than Buffalo, NY.

I don't think the cost of living is all that much different most anywhere you go in the West, considering comparable demographics. The state doesn't matter so much as the type of urban/rural area you're talking about. You can't compare Gila Bend, AZ to Phoenix or Tucson, for instance.

I have from time to time considered the idea of joining some type of communal arrangement, but I'm comfortable where I am. It's not that I'm not in favor of such an arrangement, it's more like I'm not sure I'd want to live with roommates again. So there are questions in my mind about how such an arrangement would work.

But I wish you the best. Have fun with it ... :)

7. stormountainman

I agree on the roommates point. At our age it would be hard, at first anyway. I have a couple of friends that might be willing to do it, both good carpenters. With a nice size chunk of land, we could even live out of campers, RVs, and vans. My main idea is to save money for everyone, on a month to month basis. Where I've lived in Colorado during the last 35 years, rent has gone up beyond $750 per month. After I got divorced and moved up the canyon to live in a resort, I used to pay $460 for my cabin. Now they want $680 for it. So if people our age need affordable housing, a commune would be a good way to go, if we have quality people who do their best to treat others in a nice way. The key thing for it to work would be the way people treat others. The saving money part would be easy.

1 person likes this.
  8. old hippie 09

old hippie 09 Member

in the 70 teeeasI I lived in a free hostel in n m. every one helped out and no one went hhungry. im now 63 and would love to try something like that again. I think co. would work for me.

9. granny_longerhair

granny_longerhair Member

I absolutely agree. That's going to be the key to any enterprise like this. I also think your RV idea is interesting, but in that case how would it be any different from those RV clubs? As I understand it, the clubs aren't "communes", in the normal sense of the word. They're a way to spread out costs among a group of people, like a commune would be, but there's no "community", necessarily. And if it was me, that would be the one thing I'd want most.

1 person likes this.
  10. granny_longerhair

granny_longerhair Member

Haha! Go ahead and joke, Amontillado. Your day is coming, my friend ... ;)

And don't forget that "under 70" also applies to you! lol

2 people like this.
  11. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Not a bad idea. Oregon weather may be more easier on old folks than Colorado, though.

Stillahippychick and Alice in SC like this.
  12. stormountainman

Hi People,

What I was thinking is about getting a house on a small acre or two, so some people could live inside and there would be kitchen and bath available. Also the RV & camper idea was for others who would prefer to stay in their own rig, but still use the common areas or bath, laundry, garden, and cooking facility. That should answer Grannie's concern. I've done some research on this and found out from a Hippy friend that some counties will not let you live in an RV on your own land at all, and some have a time restriction. My friend wanted to live in his own motor home on his own land near Alamosa in Colorado. The county powers fined him and tried to force him to build a regular house. So I know now that we will need a regular house to satisfy the law. Colorado is getting too expensive so I'm looking at Arizona or Oregon. I have good credit and can get a mortgage. If we do a commune thing, members can buy a share or just pay something like a hundred per month or two hundred per month. That would still be cheaper than a regular apartment. We could all grow food and buy stuff together and cook it together. Being an aging Hippy is no fun. Having friends around who can help you out during a bad time would be nice. If the arthritis is preventing you from doing anything that week, your friends could still cook and share the meal with you. If your car has a problem, maybe others could help to get it going. Peace & Light to all,

13. Joshoa

Joshoa Member

It is a good idea, the problem being to find the right group of "responsible" people. My experience with the whole communal lifestyle in the 60-70's is that it attracts a lot of deadbeats who don't want to contribute anything and expect everyone else to take care of them just because they are so "charming".

So the real challenge is to pre- screen and approve your members.

14. Joshoa

Joshoa Member

Speaking as a landlord with one rental property, pre-screening for good tenants is the key to a happy and positive experience.

15. stormountainman

To Old Hippie 09 and Granny Long Hair,

Keep in touch with me and you can even send me messages through my profile page. I would like to keep in touch and see where this ends up. I miss hanging out with friends around a fire, telling stories, playing guitars, and having supper together like we did in the 70s. I was checking out some properties around Prescott Arizona and Wickenburg Arizona. And Scratcho I am looking at Trulia properties in Oregon. You are welcome to take part also. If you can direct me to a place in Oregon, please send me a message. Peace & Light to all.

16. Joshoa

Joshoa Member

I'm not sure why you have focused on Arizona. I have worked as a surveyor all over Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona and Texas. Arizona is not a great place to raise your own food as it gets so little rain. Texas has mild winters and lots more rain and has some extremely fertile farming soil, the black gumbo clay is some of the most fertile soils in the world.

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/soil/st_soils/tx_soil.htm

[​IMG]

17. stormountainman

Hi Joshoa,

I have nothing against Texas. I've been there a thousand times over the last forty some years. I have friends who live in Austin. I've found that homes can cost more than in other states, and the summers can be brutally hot. Gas is cheaper and food is about the same price range. Texas is also a conservative Republican dominated state. So I would vote for Oregon or Washington with Arizona falling somewhere in the middle. At my age, I don't wish to become a farmer. I would be happy with a small garden and a long garden hose. I remember the 70s and still listen to CSN and Neil Young. Peace & Light

18. old hippie 09

old hippie 09 Member

peace to you brothers and sisters, loven you. im all about the freedom co. offers. I have been waiting a long time for the madness to stop. 5 people togather could put in 1000 a month each we could live very well. I havea tepe and love to brave the out doors but i like a good shower. and sharing meals works great for me.

19. stormountainman

Hi Old Hippie 09,

In Colorado we will not need to spend a $1000 per month. If we rent a big house, it would be about $1400 per month divided 4 ways. So it's a lot more affordable. I just cannot buy a house in my county, because the houses cost more than a quarter million. So I was looking at other states. I've been in Colorado for nearly 35 years. And I love it. I like living in Poudre Canyon, just outside Fort Collins. We might be able to rent a house in Poudre Park. That's about 17 miles from downtown. It would be good if we have at least 4 people. If the place has a wood stove, we could heat with about 7 cords of wood per year. I drank the well water up there for a long time and never got sick. It's actually better than in town. There is a food bank in town and there is heat assistance if we need it.

Eleven likes this.