• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 happilyinlove

happilyinlove

with myself :p

• PipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted December 10 2013 - 03:28 PM

It's a shame that the post-secondary education system in the US (and it seems to be starting to go this way up here as well) has seemingly become a marketplace to go buy the fanciest piece of paper you can by going into a huge amount of debt, with the hope that it will get you a job. Nobody can afford to learn for the sake of learning anymore.

this is true because the cost of education is rising at rate 4% faster than inflation. costs of good are rising, while we become poorer and education more of a distant wish for many people.

Wild horses couldn't drag me away~

You're so vain, you probably think this post is about you.

#32 drumminmama

drumminmama

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,268 posts
  • LocationPlanet earth, until I find a bigger playground

Posted December 12 2013 - 10:07 PM

Yeah, but that doesn't mean I don't think it's a joke. There are a lot of things under this system I find to be a joke, but they're required to live some semblance of a normal life.

Wait, you were in college when I first joined...in 98-99, weren't you?
have or want long hair?
Colorado Forum

Unless I post MOD NOTE, I'm replying as a member of the community.

#33 BlueSkyInside

BlueSkyInside

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted December 12 2013 - 10:37 PM

I did not detect any passion regarding your choice of major and that is a red flag. College is at least a 4 year investment of your time and money. You should really enjoy your major. If you are not sure then bail out and work and experience till you realize what you really want to do and then follow it. It may be college, it may not be. Good news is that for the vast majority life is long and you have lots of chances to re-invent yourself.

#34 Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide

Sweet and Tender Hooligan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted December 12 2013 - 11:42 PM

There was a time when just having a degree guaranteed you a good job, but these days not so much. I believe the school you graduate from can carry more weight then the actual degree.

Schools like USC and Harvard tend to carry more weight, especially if a potential employer or business associate graduated from the same alma mater. You can either climb the corporate ladder or take the elevator.

religion for people afraid of going to hell.spirituality is for people who have been there.

getting laid is not the same as getting free consensual sex. that actually may be comparable to winning the lottery.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Peace Love Unity Respect

#35 Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide

Sweet and Tender Hooligan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted December 12 2013 - 11:48 PM

here's some lyrical motivation

"]Too $hort - Gettin' It - YouTube

religion for people afraid of going to hell.spirituality is for people who have been there.

getting laid is not the same as getting free consensual sex. that actually may be comparable to winning the lottery.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Peace Love Unity Respect

#36 eggon

eggon

liberalobamacommunist

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted December 13 2013 - 04:30 AM

There was a time when just having a degree guaranteed you a good job, but these days not so much. I believe the school you graduate from can carry more weight then the actual degree.

Schools like USC and Harvard tend to carry more weight, especially if a potential employer or business associate graduated from the same alma mater. You can either climb the corporate ladder or take the elevator.

More likely the elevator breaks down on the first or second floor, and you spend your whole life waiting for someone to fix it, but the asshole repair men spend more time fighting with each other than getting anything done.

Posted Image

#37 happilyinlove

happilyinlove

with myself :p

• PipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted December 13 2013 - 08:28 AM

If you're going to take the elevator, be sure you have the drive needed to pay for it. Or have a family member who is willing to fork over some of their bank roll.

I know a girl who just received her degree in broadcast journalism with an emphasis in marketing (relatively useless degree in an over saturated, very competitive field of industry) from Penn State, she's $80k in debt. But she's lazzyyyyy!! She works as a receptionist making $13.50/hr, 20 hours a week. I've asked her why she's not using her degree or working in marketing, interning somewhere during her free time. She has no real answer. Meanwhile, she can't deposit her paychecks into her bank account because Sally Mae has levied her account for student loans!

And by the way, we live in New York City. All the big networks have offices here so its not like we're in some remote area that makes it difficult for her to begin her career.

Wild horses couldn't drag me away~

You're so vain, you probably think this post is about you.

#38 newbie-one

newbie-one

one with the newbiverse

• PipPipPip
  • 8,118 posts

Posted December 13 2013 - 09:30 AM

I know a girl who just received her degree in broadcast journalism with an emphasis in marketing

I've noticed that journalism in recent years has become a means of pushing agendas/selling products, but I didn't think they would go so far

#39 newbie-one

newbie-one

one with the newbiverse

• PipPipPip
  • 8,118 posts

Posted December 13 2013 - 11:47 AM

A part of me is like really grateful i managed to get accepted but at the same time i'm not even sure if college is worth the hassle.

It's great if you got accepted into a program, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's a good idea to go. That some portion of the applicants were not accepted is really irrelevant.

If you are lukewarm about studying astronomy, I would recommend against it. If you burn with a passion to study the stars, go for it, but my impression is that it is tough to get a job in that field. There's a limited number of astrophysicists who have jobs, just a small number who are professors and university based researchers. You would not only have to have a Ph.D., you would also have to be among the best Ph.D.'s to get the job, and then you would have to work like a dog to keep it.

As long as the economy is shit, you need loans to pay for school, and you need to make a living, it's important to think about what a degree costs and what that degree will give you.

#40 drumminmama

drumminmama

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,268 posts
  • LocationPlanet earth, until I find a bigger playground

Posted December 15 2013 - 10:54 AM

I've noticed that journalism in recent years has become a means of pushing agendas/selling products, but I didn't think they would go so far

Likely it's a major for television on the technical side. Spot producer, etc.

Marketing is insurance in the field.
And there's a difference between marketing and public relations, too.
have or want long hair?
Colorado Forum

Unless I post MOD NOTE, I'm replying as a member of the community.

#41 wild flowers

wild flowers

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted December 15 2013 - 11:34 PM

Hi everyone, much appreciation for all the wisdom, it clarified for me how very unclear my academic direction is in life right now so I've decided to take a gap year before hand and then go to college after. i would like to clear something up and say that i am very passionate about astronomy! i am just not so very passionate about any 9-5 jobs and bureaucracy, so the idea of even starting down that path sends me a little bit of the heebie jeebies! So that's another reason why i'm going to try a few things out first beforehand. All of the thoughts and comments have very much inspired me so many thanks and smiles to everyone!! :)

#42 dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy

Refried Hippie

• PipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

Posted December 18 2013 - 01:48 PM

I got my Bachelors in Sociology and want to get my Masters soon. IDK what to major in for it though. I don't use my degree but I guess my employer likes that I have it. I could use it later in life if I chose to further my education. I guess it's just a nudge in life, it doesn't always work out the way you think it will.

Posted Image

#43 Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer

• PipPipPip
  • 14,339 posts

Posted December 22 2013 - 10:27 AM

A degree can be a waste of time and money or it can propel your life to the next level of meaning, comfort and security. That depends on the school, the degree, and your success with it (did you just barely pass or did you get a 4.0 GPA with volunteering, extra-curricular, teacher letters of recommendations etc).

A good college degree that is in demand from a good school where you apply yourself hard and do very well is EXTREMELY worth it, it will pay for itself within a year easily. Goofing off in a school you hate for a program you couldn't care less about is going to get you in debt and depressed, and likely still stuck in the same minimum wage job you were in when you started college.

The thing is to get noticed, it's WHO you know. Be good at what you do, whatever it is. Love what you do, do what you love. If there is nothing you love offered in college, then it's probably not for you. Either pick the thing you hate the least and try to be good at it, at least for the next while, or take a step back and figure out how to approach having a livelihood in your life given who you are as a person.

2015_digital_spore_by_farboart-d99vlvl.j

#44 Hipstudent

Hipstudent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted December 23 2013 - 06:02 PM

I believe every answer youll recieve for this will be very opinionated as will mine, and the best advice you need is to go with your own, but heres my opinion on college.

I believe the actual degree isnt worth the money/effort exhausted but it all depends on what you want to do with you life. In college you will learn a lot. A LOT. completely different from high school where each professor wont be on a core set curriculum that if they dont have to teach you they wont. I believe my time at college has helped me greatly in the fact im a more educated adult than if i had been working some meaningless job the past 3 years. You will meet new friends, and be very influenced by the teachers which i believe has helped me grow into the person i am today.

I believe in college but for the experience not the paper.

It all comes down to what you want to do with you life and if college is necessary to help you get there. I know your young like me i still dont know really know. I just have certain ideas i think i might enjoy. Just dont worry about the money. Money isnt as important as people think it is. Ide just a career that makes me love my life over a career for money to try to buy my happiness any day of the week.

#45 Anaximenes

Anaximenes

• PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted January 01 2014 - 09:58 AM

Many young people are aware of their theoretical knowing needs from sources beyond college; they are well adjusted understanding the theories of wealth and technical intelligence being developed for vocation. But it is knowing the practical satisfaction and desire to be productive which could really be bolstered well by a college education. Ironic.

#46 oldwolf

oldwolf

Waysharing-not moderating

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted January 01 2014 - 11:35 AM

Read only the first page...
Only thing in life that you are guaranteed is that it will end.
What you get from it and take on ...ass-u-ming that Existence has some kind of higher Awareness - is how you used it to Change yourSelf and Become More.
So the question for you becomes how can you best Grow in Awareness and move into Beyond what you came in with. You can See that you are not the same. Are you Growing ?
Does your life Path increase the opportunities to Become More Aware ? Are you a Self starter ? Can you Be True to your Self - or do you need others to tell you how ?

In the end you are in charge of you .
Each of us makes decisions that affect not only ourSelf but those others we also affect. We are ripples...- how do you affect others ? - how do you want to ?
From my own perspective the best Way to Be is to be impeccable with your Self. Which means you do not lie to your Self and you Be exactly and specifically what you perceive is the best Way to accomplish your Intent. Your Intent involves why you are here in This Now.
You give your life to express your Self. Do you put a high enough value on your Self to Be True to it ?
Each must decide for their own Self and each is limited by what they are willing to And can See (perceive). WE CAN Grow it (our perceptions) by Growing in Awareness.
How you best Do that is up to you - for no one else Knows you like you do
Blessings are the lessons learned - a mistake is redeemed from that status if we learn from it - it then Becomes a lesson.
If we are to truly Learn and Grow we Must Pay Attention.
You are your final arbiter.
Possibly more than you want.

Namaste (my spirit bows to your spirit)

Life is an opportunity and becomes what you make of it

May the Light of Love ever Guide your Way
Grow on ... Enjoy !

Peace Blessings
Love

Namaste

oldwolf:
my @hotmail email adress is nomadhermit
my @yahoo email adress is waysharer

#47 newbie-one

newbie-one

one with the newbiverse

• PipPipPip
  • 8,118 posts

Posted January 01 2014 - 12:12 PM

What you get from it and take on ...ass-u-ming that Existence has some kind of higher Awareness

Remember that when assuming, you make an "ass" out of "u" and "ming".

#48 SageDreamer

SageDreamer

• PipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted January 03 2014 - 10:59 AM

A college degree is a good thing for some people. A college degree is not a good thing for all people?

I got my bachelor's degree in 1983 and my master's degree in 1987. I was able to get the first two years at an expensive school paid for through a very generous scholarship. I had a graduate assistantship that paid all of my tuition; I worked in the writing center and taught classes and got a modest stipend. So I was able to get my credentials for less than the sticker price.

A bachelor's degree in French doesn't open many doors to jobs, fame or fortune. If you've got the money and the time, go for it. However, you will need to have some idea of what you want to do after graduation and how you're going to get there. It is also essential that you be very good at marketing yourself and have some sort of plan.

The education industry is cranking out many more people with college degrees than the economy is cranking out jobs that require a college degree. The days when a degree more or less guaranteed you a good job are long, long gone.

A gap year can be a wonderful thing, but many of us just don't have the money or other resources to have one. If you do get such a gift as a gap year, use it to figure out what your passion is and what you do well so that other people will gladly pay you a living wage to do it.

These days I am teaching as an adjunct (part-timer) at a university and I see lots of students just going through the motions. Many of them are essentially illiterate, and they don't seem to have a clear or practical sense of what they will do after graduation. I say these things as someone with many regrets, but also as someone who doesn't know what he could have done otherwise to live a happier life.

#49 Lulu1967

Lulu1967

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted January 25 2014 - 03:10 PM

There was a time when just having a degree guaranteed you a good job, but these days not so much.

This is so true.

When they try to sell you an investment by showing how it has performed in the past, they have to include a statement that past performance is no guarantee of future performance.

But when they want to sell you a degree ... they just tell you how much more the people in your parents' generation who had a degree earned during their lifetime than those of your parents' generation who didn't. But they forget to mention that in your parents' generation, only 7% of people went to college, so a degree had a rarity value that it just don't got nowadays

#50 Naiwen

Naiwen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted February 24 2014 - 07:41 AM

I got my bachelor in Human Resource, and I still haven't got a job yet. So I don't think a BA is useful. And I'd be looking for entry level joe anyway (like administrative assistant or receptionist).

#51 eggon

eggon

liberalobamacommunist

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted February 24 2014 - 07:45 AM

I got my bachelor in Human Resource, and I still haven't got a job yet. So I don't think a BA is useful. And I'd be looking for entry level joe anyway (like administrative assistant or receptionist).

Maybe not useful if you went to school purely to get a job at the end, but the communication, research, and critical thinking skills are priceless. Assuming you went to a good school, I guess.

Posted Image

#52 Meliai

Meliai

• PipPipPip
  • 11,537 posts

Posted February 24 2014 - 08:10 AM

These days you can't get a job as an admin assistant or receptionist without a degree, so I guess the degree is helpful in that your options as even more limied without it.

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens ~Tolkien

#53 Naiwen

Naiwen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted February 27 2014 - 08:02 AM

Maybe not useful if you went to school purely to get a job at the end, but the communication, research, and critical thinking skills are priceless. Assuming you went to a good school, I guess.

I don't think there's much "critical thinking" in school, but yeah. And most entry level jobs in business require only a high school diploma, so it's no use getting a BA.

#54 dwight78

dwight78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 09:06 PM

College degrees shouldn't be everything. It might matter in the US but increasingly, jobs that could be done by anyone with a well-rounded education is reserved for those with a degree. I think that's just wrong

#55 eggon

eggon

liberalobamacommunist

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted March 19 2014 - 03:59 AM

I don't think there's much "critical thinking" in school, but yeah. And most entry level jobs in business require only a high school diploma, so it's no use getting a BA.

Then you went to the wrong school. Or maybe it's just because you went to school for business.

Posted Image

#56 themnax

themnax

• PipPipPip
  • 19,519 posts
  • Locationa small green planet in a distant galaxy

Posted May 13 2015 - 04:46 PM

there's nothing magic about a degree itself.  it may open doors to a few more job INTERVIEWS, but it won't magically get you the jobs.

but and again but, at least some of what you learn earning one, MIGHT be useful in broader applications and elsewhere.

of course it MIGHT be possible to gain as much or more in other ways, there's just not guarantee of this either.

and either way, no less effort is required.

my nation is the imagination

this is the dawning of the age of zootopia

and thank god i'm not quite human

=^^=
.../\...

#57 calgirl

calgirl

• PipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted July 18 2015 - 07:53 PM

Good question!!  No, not everyone is cut out for college and not everyone needs a degree.  My BIL is a successful banker, and another is successful commercial appliance repairman, and others run the infrastructure of small business, as well as video and write.  Myself as an AS in animal health.  It has gotten me far. however I can't say I'm in the happiest of situations.  I'd rather raise Alpacas.  So follow your heart.  Serisouly!!  What is your passion?  Mine was animals, especially domestic. But I hated it.  Be prepared.  Do you have alternatives??  For instance, while an AS in aeronautics is great, it is highly specialized.  So....choose electrician, cable, manufacturing, and MOVE UP when you find a good company.  Best of luck to you.  An AS degree worked great for me!!!  Even to the tune of $115.00/hr.  Not bad.

Insist on yourself. Never imitate. Ralph Waldo Emerson

#58 calgirl

calgirl

• PipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted July 18 2015 - 08:04 PM

look at it this way too.....college doesn't really prepare you for a job.  In the corporate world with specific industy it's mostly on the job.  A cerification will help.

Insist on yourself. Never imitate. Ralph Waldo Emerson

#59 orison

orison

my dog is full of stars

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,924 posts
  • LocationKissMyAss Penisylvania

Posted July 18 2015 - 08:31 PM

makes great toilet paper....

gallery_104050_1936_34168.jpg

Into the flood again