Uruaguay info/experiences?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by AT98BooBoo, Dec 7, 2013.

1. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

We are planning to move to Uruaguy anyone have any info or experiences to share?

1 person likes this.
  2. happilyinlove

happilyinlove with myself :p

My friend recently moved back from Uruguay. He spent 2 years there as a consultant from the United States. He helped them develop a modern municipal airport, and improved their public transportation. Both are so-so, so you will need a car. The internet is not so great either. But their culture is very relaxed and from what I gather, they love big parties late into the night. They also eat A LOT of meat. This may sound funny, but you'll notice it when you get there.

If you move there, you should make it over to Rio for Carnival :)

3. happilyinlove

happilyinlove with myself :p

Oh, they often say "es complicado" to dismiss uncomfortable conversation. So be aware of that.

4. Red Fox VII

Red Fox VII Member

Went to visit cousins two times, once when I was ten or so, and once when I was 13.

I was there in the summer, and the beaches were BEAUTIFUL. The whole coast is full of picturesque summer sights.

The cities, at least in the 90's, were like a visit back in time 30 years, as there were many, many older cars about. As a child I didn't care much for cars, but my uncle was always pointing them out to me.

The food is great, I ate a lot of Italian dishes like gnocci, and yes, good meat fresh from the butcher shop as well. You can buy produce fresh in outdoor markets and I recall the food being affordable. Electronics were different altogether and not as affordable.

Overall I really enjoyed Uruguay and would love to go back. The air is fresher. The land is less polluted. Being there gave me an appetite (for food) and a zest for life I lacked in the states. While I was there, I ate well and was merry.

Such fond memories...mostly.

5. Rafa69

Rafa69 Members

I'm from Uruguay!
    Here you can walk on owners streets relaxed... No like your fast life style.
    Nosey
    Nowadays the insecurity is a real problem in Montevideo (the capital), but isn't comparable with Mexico or the rest of LA.
    The public transport is horrible, you need your own car!

The food is incredible! A lot of good meat.In Uruguay live more cows than humans hahaha
    The people are friendly with immigrants and we love speak with the neighbors

The medic system is cheap and excellent. If you need an heard operation you only pay 100 American dollars approx...

The life is expensive... All is expensive here! The houses, rents, food, super market products, etc... but you don't be a professional to access to everything.

The internet is the best of LA! I pay $990 (42 American dollars approx) for 50/2mb/s by FTTH... Is not bad!

The beach are incredible and we have very beautiful beaches in Montevideo! ( the capital). We can visit the beach in only 30 minutes because Montevideo is too small.

Here only live 3M of people, 1.5M in Montevideo.

Sorry for my English!!

1 person likes this.
  6. Ernesto Apocaloptimisto

Ernesto Apocaloptimisto self-banned

Once I get my trike built and do a quick US tour, I'm planning on riding it down to Uruguay. Been researching it for a few years now and it seems like the perfect place for me. Following this thread for sure!

7. Ernesto Apocaloptimisto

Ernesto Apocaloptimisto self-banned

Your English is perfect. Better than most Americans! ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. Rafa69

Rafa69 Members

Hahaha thanks!
    I´m studing english again... I want approve the First Certificate in two years.
    Any question will be welcomed!

9. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Just like home then. [​IMG]

10. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

Will ask more ?s when I have time I gotta get back to work

11. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

Is there much of a Permaculture Movement there?

12. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Uruguay is the first country in the world to have a system regulating legal production, sale and consumption of marijuana. Complete legalization.

13. Rafa69

Rafa69 Members

Yes, the state is producing and it will sell in pharmacy.
    Some clubs are autorized to the autocultive but is very restricted...
    The price is to low, 1 dollar = 1 gr