tips on how to be a better photographer

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Jennifer19, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

anyone have any tips or neat websites on how to be a better photography?

2. RubySoho6

RubySoho6 Organized Chaos

Do you have a dslr camera?

3. mellowmushpizzatripp

mellowmushpizzatripp Member

don't use instagram lol

4. RubySoho6

Haha, we need to be friends.

5. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

my sister is always on that instagram. I have a Nikon d-5000

6. RubySoho6

Have you taken any classes? White balance is a huge thing. i dont know how experienced you are so I don't want to tell you silly basic things you may already know. When I got my camera I took a few classes at a camera store to learn how to properly use all of the functions.

I guess I don't know if you are asking about use of the camera or actually how to frame your shots.

7. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I just want to take better pics and was wondering if there websites or any tips someone might have or someone who has taken class's

8. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

if you're really just starting out, look up the rule of thirds. it will help you a lot with composition.

9. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I've been getting to photography for many years I have a camera and there are so many setting's I'm just figuring out. thanks will look that up :)

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

11. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

12. RubySoho6

http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whats...to-understanding-your-digital-slr-camera.html

Definitely play around with Manual mode. That is what I shoot in most of the time. You have complete control over how your picture will look. It takes some practice. Shoot, look at the picture then adjust and reshoot until you get it down.

Do you understand how and when to adjust your ISO, Shutter speed and aperture? Those are the 3 main things you have to understand to get a good shot.

13. TwistedYeti

TwistedYeti Guest

What glass (lens) are you using and what do you like to shoot?

Anyhow, the first thing I'll suggest is to get outside (or where ever) and start wearing your camera out. We can suggest a dozen different books or websites but at the end of the day, it all comes down to practice. Now with that said, I would switch to using a non Auto camera mode like A (Aperture Priority) or M ( Full Manual).

14. Moving_cloud

Moving_cloud Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Besides broadening your technical knowledge just exercise and train your vision and maybe even play with other kinds of visual art. Don't adjust your art so it pleases others; go with your own sense of mystery and depth.

Btw I always liked your pictures (the ones I saw), they are so unique !

I think there's no universal recipe of how to become 'better' but if so, it would involve to be 'not perfect'.

Enjoy :)

15. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

I have a 200 lens just got a 300 for x-mass my sister got me the remote button I'm really wanting to get good shots of the moon been playing around with the Manual setting my pics of the moon have been turning blurry so I though with the trypot and the remote button would make a great difference?

16. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

thanks I see what your saying :)

17. Jennifer19

Jennifer19 Senior Member

digital I don't have any special lights just the flash on my camera

18. RubySoho6

[​IMG]

I took this of the "super moon" this summer. I'll try to remember what settings I used but you'll have to experiment.

Shot in Manual Mode
    ISO 100 or 200 if its too dark make it higher but I think I used one of those
    Shutter speed 1/200 if its still blurry make the number higher
    Aperture f 5.6
    This is the most important part. Change your "metering" to Spot Metering. That will focus on just the moon so your camera won't be fighting to balance the light of the moon with the dark sky.
    Make sure the red dot where your camera is focusing is on the moon.
    I used a 200 lens but if you have 300 then use that. I used a tripod and the self timer. I always try to use the self timer when I'm taking pictures of bright lights at night so you don't move the camera while pushing the button and make everything blurry.

I hope that helps. Just play around with it and have fun.

19. RubySoho6

Another one I took in black and white with the same settings on a different night.

[​IMG]

20. Koryssa_RUS

Koryssa_RUS Member

Also important, that ISO higher than 800 will increase noise significantly on many, but not all cameras. Test yourself! 1600 ISO on Canon 450D looks very awful. It is better to use longer exposure with remote release, but you will need tripod.