Simple tone generator

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Dude111, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

2. TheBigC

TheBigC Member

interesting stuff m8

3. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Indeed it is AND SMALL ALSO!! (Smallest and most basic one I have found)

4. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

square waves are easy to generate with computers simply by switching a signal between HI and LO levels. sawtooth can be produced using "register overflow" behavior where the output level of a signal is controlled by a register incremented via a timer interrupt (it overflows and returns back to zero, over and over). triangle wave would be similar to produce, sine waves are a little bit harder, but can afaik can be easily produced using PWM and low pass filtering. since computers can't truly generate anything random, noise is a bit harder but shift registers can be configured in such a way that the output of the last shift register is given as "feedback" to the first shift register.

of course you don't need something as complex as a $2 programmable micro-controller that you can code this, but I'm not that double E to tell ya how and it's hard to get things less expensive yet be so versatile as a $2 programmable computer :/

5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I have a synth program on my laptop that produces sine and square waves. I think my sequencing program may have that capacity as well. Not too sure on Ableton but 100% on Omnisphere. Lol. I never use either of those programs anymore. I used to think synthesizers could be used to create music! :)

6. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

I meant to mention the DTMF tones that POTS (telephones) use for building various things that you could use as a "phone" ... easiest way to generate those tones would probably be to take apart an old phone ... or use free software like audacity that can generate DTMF tones.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0BINBO6XZnU

as for making music ... i'm sure someone that say, knew music theory well could produce fine music with a telephone.