Thread actually answering the "homeless and free" OP

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by ezm8, Nov 29, 2013.

1. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

This thread is intended to be for actual answers to the question

that was posed in this thread http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=479450&f=51

It is not intended to be a thread bitching about the homeless, debating whether homeless people are indeed free or not, or bitching about the OP of the "Homeless and free" thread being homeless.

Instead, it is intended to answer the question that was posed there, and other information that might be helpful to the homeless.

2. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

It would depend what you are looking for out of the experience

3. dutchblood87

dutchblood87 Member

The biggest thing I have learned so far is gratitude. I remember the first time I slept on a mattress during this 'excursion', I was amazed by the comfort and what not of a soft warm plush comfy mattress. A lot of people take for granted creature comforts they are so used to, i.e. going into the fridge for a coke. You dont do that on the street, you save every penny you collect from the ground, walk to the cheapest possible coke-selling store, and you buy a pop.

This is an inconvenient lifestyle. But so far its been showing me what im made of...

4. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

it changes your perspective wildly. you really only begin to learn what you actually need. makes a lot of things seem silly and pointless in the grand scheme of things. you change your values. i learned by stripping nearly everything what was truly important by the few things i kept. a good pair of yoga pants, photos, letters, etc.

5. OddApple

OddApple Member

Oh yeah. The great purification. I think it is a def enriching experience, you just got to hear the signs when it has offered you what it can and you make that change towards the next chapter. But you keep that sense of self and what's important. You never really end up being a "pig" again or mindless consumer with nothing really to offer life, others or even yourself.
    But depending on where you are, cities are like Frisco, LA (kinda dangerous tho), Fort Lauderdale in FL and most cities on the gulf side in FL. Kansas City used to be livable but not so sure anymore. Heard Cali ain't what it used to be either but still do-able.
    Edges of the country seem to be easier, middle of the country seems to be tougher. Lawrence KS is still a hipster spot.
    Silver City in NM is still good I hear, don't know about Taos or Santa Fe. Albuquerque pretty dangerous. Eureka Springs AR used to be hip, but mostly sucks I hear now a days...

Oklahoma totally sucks ass

6. *Yogi*

*Yogi* Resident Racist

Out of all the big city's I have been to, Id have to say the twin city's would be a good one. Hell, The people on on/off ramps stop and yield and are in no rush. Or it used to be.
    The next being vegas or Nevada someplace. Lots of street people, Tourists and vendors you can blend in. The more around, The less chance you have of being harassed. Good luck either way

7. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'd say Honolulu. (or any of the islands). Always warm and if you have any kind of a vehicle--it's a snap. i bought an old junker one time there, when I was living on a sailboat in the harbor and a homeless hippie moved into it. I'd wake him up to go to work and then when I came back from work, he'd show up for the night. Didn't mind at all. Have to mind the young mokes, but it was a great place to be homeless. Temp labor agency can provide day jobs.

I lived in old cars, and a van, but I did have a trade that allowed me to make a living whenever I "dropped" back in. It may be costly to get there--100 bucks when I went, but it is a paradise, IMO. Hope this helped.

You can get by without a vehicle, but obviously one needs to be able to get around and generate SOME money.

8. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I forgot to mention---a pair of shorts, a tee shirt and flip-flops are the uniform of---forever! Boots to work the temp agency, though.

9. Driftwood Gypsy

a good pair of skateboarder shoes (comfy tough and cheap), jeans and a good warm band hoodie.

10. OddApple

OddApple Member

Meeting girls like the one in the above picture and fixing things on their house...

11. newbie-one

12. happilyinlove

happilyinlove with myself :p

I would say the most hospitable place for those who are homeless is San Diego.

That's where I'm from, and they have a really high homeless rate. The weather is nice year round, hardly any rain-ever, people can enjoy the ocean, the climate is such that fruit grows on trees and in the ground easily. People are mostly friendly (a lot more than here in NYC- I noticed a STARK difference when I moved here :/ ), and if you're a hippie well then lol thats your place :)

13. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

the hippy section or the outdoor living section would be a better place to discuss this topic

14. newbie-one

I have no objection to it being moved

15. Driftwood Gypsy

hell yes San Diego! same here... yes, especially OB, Oceanside.... you can live on the beach!

16. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

No, you can't live on the beach.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/camping-san-diego-beaches-2643.html

...overnight camping on ocean beaches within the city limits is expressly verboten, and of the state park beaches that line the North County coast just two permit camping--and only on designated bluff-top campgrounds, not the actual sand. A third state beach in South County has campsites for motor homes only. At all three campgrounds, reservations can be made up to seven months in advance. A fourth beach-camping option is a private campground on Mission Bay.

17. Driftwood Gypsy

yeah and nobody cares. its everyone's beach. its rarely enforced because there's too many people.

18. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Yes the cops care. I have lived in SD.

Go ahead and give it a try. SD police are some very serious mo'fo's

19. Indy Hippy

Indy Hippy Zen & Bearded

When I lived homeless it really opened up my mind, man. Course I did it in a woods a few miles from any civilization. Can still remember waking in the mornings and running down to the river for a good bath. Had to boil the water for drink but that ice cold water in the morning, more of a buzz than coffee man. Fall water fine water. Killed my first rabbit living homeless. Came to agree with the Native Americans and their treatment of animals, and nature. Really didn't get to know myself the fullest till jail though, man

20. Driftwood Gypsy

born and raised in SD. everyone sleeps on the beach.... the cops tell you to move, you go somewhere else.