How cold is it where you are?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Wizardofodd, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Wizardofodd

Wizardofodd Senior Member

My random thought of the night...I fucking hate the cold! I hate everything about it. It's not even really cold yet where I live yet. It's cold enough for snow and ice but it will get much worse before it gets better. I hate having to be out in sub-zero temps all day with no heat. I hate having to be 40 or 50 feet in the air in the wind. I hate getting called back to work on my way home because someone is out of power...so now I have to go fix it even if it takes me all evening. I hate getting frostbite every day. It's painful. Blah, blah...I'm obviously not in a great mood over this shit. Starting my 20th winter in a row outdoors.

So how cold does it get where you're at? I would say -10 (actual temp) is just about our worst. Average winter temp is maybe 15-18 degrees or so. I've been out in -55 wind chill....about 50 feet off the ground. That really sucked. I see all the FB posts about how cold it is...they have no idea what cold really is. When the inside of your nose is frozen, your beard is all ice and you wonder whether the fluid in your eyes can freeze....that's cold.

2 people like this.
  2. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I am in Ottawa Ontario and it can get pretty cold here in the winter. Usually the wind chill is what is not so fun as that is really hard to dress for. We get cold but then there tend to be weeks that are just bitter and we hit as we are within the snow belt. At least when it snows it tends to be a little more moderate other than winds sometimes.

We all complain about the cold here but we don't move, so I guess like everyone else we manage. :)

3. Cheynese

Cheynese Guest

It's about 42ºF right now. Last night was around 20º. The temperature rises and drops every few days. The coldest I've been in was around 5º? That is usually in the winter.

4. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

it's 35*F outside but the wood stove got it so hot in here I'm running out of things to take off

5. wcw

wcw Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It's around 55 degrees Fahrenheit here in KY, USA, the historical average low temperature for this time of year here is in the 30s so it is warmer than normal.

What kind of work do you do?

6. RubySoho6

RubySoho6 Organized Chaos

It's as cold where I am as it is where you are. Today sucked with that ice and it's only the beginning. It's only going to get worse. This weekend is supposed to blow too.

7. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Got to 28c Here Today, And At 4.20pm It Is Still 25c,

GLEN Is Sitting At His Beloved Puuuter Wearing The Same

Suit He Entered This World In, And After All These Years It Still

Fits Perfectly...[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

8. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I'm wearing shorts and a tshirt vans and a beanie. Love this time of year. I've had to wear a jacket and pants a few times so far this fall but it's been mostly perfect temperature

Edit - and it gets in the 30s here every year, just at night really. It even snowed here in like 1989. Mild winters but a definite winter in comparison to the summer. I love it, it's just enough to keep you feeling alive but not stagnate you or give you that feeling of impending doom I get in northern climates. Even though I'm a misplaced snowboarder, fuck it. I will live on a sunny, snowy mountain someday.

9. RubySoho6

Sounds hot. You not the weather.

10. wcw

wcw Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

At the computer in your birthday suit!? What else are looking at online?

Just kidding you nudist you.:D

11. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

......:sunny:

Cheers Glen.

12. Wizardofodd

You know what the bitch of it is...I got called back tonight for electrical outages in this ice storm. I was covered in ice. The electrical structures, trees, my safety glasses, climbing gear, etc.....all covered in ice. Trees burning on the lines. Super hot shit. We aren't going to shut the line off unless it burns down. It's a thrill like you can't imagine. It's absolutely awesome and yet so incredibly shitty at the same time. It's so scary but so zen-like. Like...you should be shitting bricks but you are in the zone. Totally calm...the ice, etc. means nothing. Like fishing on a calm pond in June. But it still absolutely fucking sucks!

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Its about 50F with a light rain mist here. Its nice. Winters here are mild for the most part.

14. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

What Was The Kva Of The Line, With All That Moisture

I Would Have Thought It Would Be Too Dangerous To Service Whilst

Still Energised...:)???

Cheers Glen.

15. RubySoho6

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas out there with that thin layer of snow. Fuck winter. I'm already over it. When I got in my car after work my wipers were frozen to the windshield. I cranked the defrost and played on my phone for 5 minutes. I wasn't going to try and scrape that shit.

16. Wizardofodd

Just single phase but we never kill anything unless we absolutely have to. I could have put the call in to kill it...but I have to admit...it's a matter of pride. I work everything hot. I may pay for it one day but today was not that day.

17. Wizardofodd

Right there with ya!! :)

18. usedtobehoney

usedtobehoney Senior Member

I wish I could be this positive about the weather. I know it's much better here than in a lot of places but I just don't even like cool weather. I like warm-hot. I'm usually wearing short sleeves and pants and I wear sandals for as long as I can but the lack of sunshine and heat on my skin just makes me :( I get paranoid in the wintertime...impending doom describes the way I feel about every other week from Nov. 1- Feb. 1

I should take more cold showers. When I take cold showers in the morning then I can handle the (near) cold. I don't really care about the temperature at night, it's all about daytime to me.

So yeah it's like 60's-70's here every day. I shouldn't complain.

19. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

tomorrows high 23f

saturdays expected high is 15f

break out the sunscreen

20. usedtobehoney

usedtobehoney Senior Member

Wow BBAD I am so sorry to hear that. If I lived in that kind of weather I'd probably be on here all day every day...wait...