Wigwam?

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by Emilyceratops, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Emilyceratops

Emilyceratops Guest

I'm seriously considering building, and living out of a wigwam or wigwam-like home. My dreams of raising my family in an RV have been shattered, so now I am looking into other forms of alternative living. I learned quite some time ago that the typical, modern American lifestyle is not for me.

I don't have much money or material resources, but I do have a husband, good friends and a strong desire to be as close with nature as possible. What alternative housing options would be practical for a woman expecting her first child in February? I'm hoping to have the home finished by mid-summer.

Native peoples have been living out of wigwam-like homes for many, many years. Why is it suddenly considered impractical to keep a family safe and warm in a home like that now? It's certainly possible. Does anybody have any ideas?

2. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

How about picking up a School bus on auction? They go real cheap. Throw the seats out and then do the interior over time.
    I have been living in a camper for several years. Im looking to move to a bus myself...because you can build it your way as far as layout and storage and make it more 4 season off grid friendly.

3. Mothman

Mothman Senior Member

I would look into a yurt or possibly start gathering scrap lumber and metal building materials and see what y'all can out together.

4. Indy Hippy

Indy Hippy Zen & Bearded

There is nothing wrong with living out of a wigwam. Modern people just want more comforts than that sort of living can provide.

5. Emilyceratops

Emilyceratops Guest

A school bus on auction isn't a bad idea. Definitely something I will look into. I'd love to live a life on the road, but if that isn't possible for some time, gathering some scrap lumber seems like a good second option. I don't need (or want, for that matter) most modern luxuries. I'm content with very little.

Thanks for the ideas everybody :)

6. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

i've seen instructions for making that kind of house . choose a well-drained place .
    dig down into the ground a few feet . an open fire will be at the center . around
    the fire-pit area four posts are set in a square . stringers tie them together near
    the top and these will support the covering , which is alot of long sticks that get
    piled with bark , dirt , candy wrappers , etc.

another sort can be of willows , bent and tied into a dome and the covering is hides
    or fabric . to insulate it make another dome over the first . there are convection currents
    in the clear space twixt the domes . heat can be held spinning around in there or let out
    the top quick for cooling in the summer .

i suggest making a very small one first , as like a playhouse or a sweatlodge .

7. Mother's Love

Mother's Love Generalist

i would use cob. you will need a hunk of land with no building codes. its clay, and sand, and straw. lots of info online about it. its like freeform adobe. natural materials, sturdy, good mass for insulation (cool in summer, warm in winter)

only thing is you will likely need to bring in materials, and you will want to have lots of friends to help you.

8. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

How about a Hogan?

[​IMG]

9. Ilyana

Ilyana Guest

I'll second cob, or if you want to get fancy, cob covered straw bale.

10. usedtobehoney

usedtobehoney Senior Member

I've seen some very nice, comfy school buses, but really there are lots of options for more natural living. There are people doing these things, look 'em up. Some more traditional and some have a modern edge to them. Good luck!

11. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

i see the hogan in the photo has a wood-stove . the biggest earth lodge i've ever been
    aware of was in a photo from 1910 , the Mandan tribe , Dakota : estimated capacity 200 .

12. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

geodesic dome