Have you ever tried making up your own god?

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by HoppĂ­polla, Nov 18, 2013.

1. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I blame theists for all their injustices that they've dismissed through their superego fantasy gods.

Vicarious redemption, denial, dismissal of hardship as God's mysterious way...
    These are truly cowardly ways.

2. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

I know where you're at... halfway between self-punishment and ill-judgement you won't or can't assume responsibility for. Theism could remove the judgment in God who is only the creator of a person's independence.

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

religions are what we make up. gods are (shrug) what ever THEY see fit to be.

anything we think we know about them, is just people making up stories.

4. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Wel'p here we go again. We as a sober group of traditional belonging make up god together. That is through the sacrifice of the beneficial Lamb (Leviticus).:2thumbsup:

5. gendorf

gendorf Senior Member

I am my own god.

6. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

And the tradition is/was capitalist democracy... in South America then.

7. I just think God would be so much more interesting if it was an open-ended idea of a force for love and good in the universe. When you start saying that God has murderous jealousy and anger things start going sour.

8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Both things are said.

9. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

Blame is irresponsible of itself.

10. Yeah I guess some people would say the fear of God is a force for good. I just think there ought to be something in this world there's nothing to be afraid of. I think that might be helpful.

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

fear of the imbarasment of being inconsiderate would be more useful, both to the self and to everyone else.

the assumption that just because something is bigger then we are, it would have the slightest desire to be worshiped, has no logical basis.

only the ego has the weakness of wanting to be worshiped. anything worthy of being called a god, i should think, would transcend that.

12. Asmodean

I believe there is. Just because a lot of things are being said doesn't mean we have to fear God. It might be helpful if nobody said such things at all but I don't think every person who affiliates with a belief that contains an angry deity is a problem.

13. Ducati1198

Ducati1198 Banned

With so many made up gods to choose from already, there's really no reason to make up anymore, is there?

14. Asmodean

I wonder if people said that back in the day when they had polytheistic belief systems and somebody came up with the idea of one God :p

15. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well again its not a matter of making up gods. everything people claim to know ABOUT gods or a god, was made up by very physical people who were not themselves gods in any sense of it.

whatever god or gods do exist, there's really no reason to expect them or it to resemble what anyone thinks they know or believe.

personally i don't believe any god or god like being, is at war, with anyone or any thing. all this idea of conflict among the nonphysical was made up by humans for their own human reasons.