In any situation

#2 KevinH

KevinH

Just Floating Here

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 08:41 AM

Aztecs...what did they know. It's all about the vikings!

http://www.dailymail...ruary-2014.html

#3 RubyS0h0

RubyS0h0

Organized Chaos

• PipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 08:54 AM

Dooms day prepers is the funniest show on tv. I have a question for you and its real. I'm not making fun of you. If dooms day actually hits...whatever form of dooms day you prefer to think about...why would you want to survive that? The world you would survive would be hell on earth. I say if dooms day happens I hope the target is my house. I wouldn't want to survive something like what some people imagine us going to happen.

This is like a dream come true... Rollin and ruby back in chat together! Better than the spice girls reunion~Asfandyar13

#4 ThathippieinNewYork2981

ThathippieinNewYork2981

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 01:15 PM

No offense taken but I still believe in being prepared for doomsdays of any kind. Because I want the better members of the human race to survive. Plus another point I'd like to make is that doomsdays or just the simple coming of a plague is completely unpredictable.

#5 LornaDoom

LornaDoom

• PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 01:32 PM

what questions do you have?
weapons?
housing?
vehicles?

#6 TAZER-69

TAZER-69

Listen To Your Heart!

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 01:36 PM

No offense taken but I still believe in being prepared for doomsdays of any kind. Because I want the better members of the human race to survive. Plus another point I'd like to make is that doomsdays or just the simple coming of a plague is completely unpredictable.

I don't care if you take offense to this... Who are the better members of the human race? Why would you or anybody else get to decide who the group of better people are? My opinion on who the better people are might not include people like you.
I hope you survive and I hope you aren't sorry that you did.

Edited by TAZER-69, November 20 2013 - 03:46 AM.

For the most part we can't decide how we die,
But we can decide how we live.

#7 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted November 19 2013 - 03:51 PM

Sure.

Look up Lifestraw. So long as you live near a body of non saltwater or have constant reliable rainfall, and you have $76...you can buy a life straw family off of amazon. 3 years or 4755 gallons of pure water without the use of chemicals is yours in your selected shipping time. They are a little complicated to use, but well worth the initial frustration.

Also. Look up mainstay food rations. STAY AWAY FROM DATREX. Mainstay is much better. It tastes like a lemon Girl Scout cookie, and for 20 bucks...you can have food for almost a week. What you should do first is work out an efficient system to cycle the near-expired food you currently buy so that if shit hits the fan, you have your normal food for a short while.

My main tip as a mild 'prepper', is to work out the basics FIRST. Don't buy the ultra flashy machete/stove/solar/blender multi tool. Because what does that get you if the lights go out tomorrow? A glorified multi tool with no food or water.

Work out the basics for a week, then two, then a month. Past that point you should get hunting materials, or items that will assist in self sufficiency. Lets face it, no one realizes what a year of food is until its stacked in your living room. The point is to be prepared, not to live surrounded by your former money.

Remember that it is expensive, and you really have to be sure that prepping is something you want to do. Keep what you plan to carry light. 6 miles isn't much to walk with just your shirt on, but even 25 pounds can make the journey much less pleasant.

If considering weapons. Buy a rifle first. I'm in the market for one currently. Buy one that is easy to clean, chambers cheap ammunition and is fairly lightweight. Don't buy a pistol first, it's a sidearm. A pistol vs a rifle at a distance which is where most open conflicts start..always goes the way of the rifle. Always.

Hope all of this helped.
Lol @ Signatures..

#8 newbie-one

newbie-one

one with the newbiverse

• PipPipPip
  • 8,157 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 04:07 PM

i would like to get some prepping advice for doomsday

In any situation

1. Drop you pants

2. Stick your head between your legs

3. Kiss your ass good-bye

;)

#9 RubyS0h0

RubyS0h0

Organized Chaos

• PipPipPip
  • 3,138 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 05:13 PM

1. Drop you pants

2. Stick your head between your legs

3. Kiss your ass good-bye

;)

hahahahahaha. nice.

I guess I'm ok with being a piece of shit because I wouldn't want to survive something like that. More power to you though. Good luck with that.

This is like a dream come true... Rollin and ruby back in chat together! Better than the spice girls reunion~Asfandyar13

#10 ThathippieinNewYork2981

ThathippieinNewYork2981

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted November 20 2013 - 07:40 PM

What is DATREX

#11 la Principessa

la Principessa

Old School HF Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,360 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted March 31 2014 - 03:46 PM

Have a bag ready with at least a few days worth of rations, a can opener, eating utensil, first aid stuff, blanket, some clothes, a flashlight or lantern and batteries. I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Socks, too, if you're going to be walking a lot.

#12 kenwilkes

kenwilkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted April 22 2014 - 04:03 PM

Very good post Event..

#13 Sallysmart

Sallysmart

Raynstorm Serenade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts
  • LocationIn your face

Posted April 22 2014 - 04:18 PM

I am gonna work on this, "Better members to survive" thing as well. How would you know those digging in old school buses in their back yards are the better members? Ha that's hilarious.

I wouldn't want to survive a massive ending but for earth quakes even tho the chances here is slim, and massive storms or a forest fire putting us out of home, yes, I have a bag with 72 hours of food and water supplies and extra clothing. As well as some basic survival tools and a small seat, because if you end up at a center for cover it could be hours to get registered in like it was years ago when we had a massive fire. My bag is a huge back pack with wheels and it should do what I need in the case of a small disaster that I do want to survive as comfortably as possible.

Just call me Sally, I am not that smart, ;)

#14 Logan 5

Logan 5

Confessed gynephile

• PipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted April 22 2014 - 11:12 PM

From my experience....

Don't bother with preparing youself for "TEOTWAWKI". First, if "The End Of The World As We Know It" happens, what is there? It's "Game Over Dude"! If it's "the end", everything is gone and dead. Disasters happen, yes. Natural and man-made. But if it's "the end", all your efforts are down the tube.

Please do not see that as trying to push you away but shock you back to reality. Too often people have this crazy idea they can go and buy a bunch of stuff and “they’re ready!” No, it’s the tools, the education and the skill.

First, the education. Learn-
- First Aid or “First Responder” training (EMT-B certification is best, really);
- Read up on and practice wilderness & urban survival skills;
- Read up on the information the US Government put out years back on urban survival (they did several series of publications on nuclear, biological and chemical “events” in the 50's through the 70's);
- Contact the New York city Office of Emergency Management (http://www.nyc.gov/h...home/home.shtml, or call @ 311 or 212-639-9675) and see what materials they have that you can get;

Second, the skills. Practice practice practice. It’s not hard and it doesn’t take all day. Even if it did take all day, if you’re doing it right when a disaster hits, you’ll be thankful for the practice. And what people commonly miss is the value of wilderness survival skills in an urban environment. In a disaster the urban scene is not far from a wilderness scene. Can’t run down to Taco Bell for lunch. But in learning about wilderness survival one thing you will learn is the ability to think, learn, prepare and...improvise. Improvisation is one of the biggest skill sets needed.

Third, the tools. Really simply there. Start off small. A back pack with a change of clothes, a first aid kit, water, water filter, pocket knife (Swiss Army or Leatherman/Leatherman-style is best) a couple freeze-dried camp meals (while there are a variety of companies that make & sell those, I prefer Mountain House), and the list grows. Start with a three day “kit”. Then work on that making it into a five day kit. Honestly, a three day kit is if you’re optimistic and everything “goes as planned” by OEM and the Red Cross (in a disater). A five day kit is better as three days is not long enough. Truly, if you can hold out a day or two longer so people with less resources and more needs than yourself can get help, all the better. OEM, FEMA, and the ARC are there to help those that cannot help themselves. They’ll help you too, but ideally, if you CAN take care of yourself for a little bit longer until Staging Areas and Site Preps are organized, the better off you are. From my experience, those with experience and skill sets like that are (sub-consciously) respected a bit more (rescue techs and emergency response pers. Will disagree, but it IS sub-conscious and does happen). And with training as I suggested, they may even find a positive role for you helping, if you want (too often they’ll say no, and really are in need of some form of help).

That list of tools can be endless, depending on experience, preferences, skill sets and the like.

So let me itemize this tool list for you-

1. 3 day pack....
2. 5 day pack....
3. home supplies starting at....
3a. two weeks "back-up"....
3b. one month....
3c. two months....

...and continuing on to as long as you wish, providing you have room and making wise choices in supplies, considering the expiration dates and types of supplies.

I still have a few lists that I can share if anyone wants them. Lists are great to work with, and keeping to them is not mandatory. It gives you an idea of what should be used, you can always say "well, I don't like this, but that will work in it's place".

One such list I got from a friend that used to trap & prospect in the Yukon. His list covers a 5 month stretch, about 600+ pounds in supplies. I can easily fit that in a small closet.

(Years ago I used to be on a Service Center Advisory Committee for Disaster Assistance Services with the American Red Cross)

“Becoming a dissident is not something that happens overnight.  You do not simply decide to become one.  It is a long chain of steps and acts.  And very often during this process, you do not really reflect upon what is happening...You don’t want to become involved with the dirt that is around you and one day, all of a sudden you wake up and realize that you are a dissident, that you are a human rights activist.” – Vaclav Havel, former Czech President (1993-2003) & activist

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail.  He can be caught.  He can be killed and forgotten.

But four hundred years later an idea can still change the world.

"...You can't build a dream, without a plan...." -- Jefferson Starship ("It's Not Over", "No Protection" Album, 1987)

#15 crewcut

crewcut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted April 23 2014 - 12:59 AM

some good advice from Logan 5. I like to think about these doomsday scenarios sometimes. So heres advice for a slightly more severe disaster:

If some real bad mojo did go down and the world or this country went from Pleasantville to full-blown Batshit City overnight... we're talking dissolved or absentee government, police & national guard deserted all post, martial law failure and just full-bore dog eat dog Mad Max shit... you'd be in a nasty spot living in New York City or LA anyway. I'd say your prep work should go into dry rations/water containers that pack easy and a filter, some first-aid since you might get trampled, shot, mugged, stabbed or run down by cars...
You know how fast people can break into and hotwire cars, right? They won't get that far... but they'll try.
a 12 ga. w/ some on-hand ammo and a small backpack of tools (hammer/hatchet, bolt cutters, battery cables, some plastic hose to siphon gas, allen key set for bike parts) and a thick leather jacket... anything that helps get you the hell out of the city. If you can afford it, I'd maybe keep a dirtbike someplace safe. Even if you never register it, just keep it in running condition. With that and some overnight gear, you'd have a shot to get out. Avoid highways and police/national guard roadblocks... depending on how bad the situation is.

Only so many trucks going to fill those warehouses in the ol' metropolis. Lots of people with the strength of arms or guile to do so will have stockpiled resources. Likely they'll want to keep those for themselves. Lots of defenseless people going to see a few bad turns coming their way.

Lets hope it never happens.

#16 Logan 5

Logan 5

Confessed gynephile

• PipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted April 23 2014 - 04:24 AM

Really good video-
http://www.youtube.c...M9wJo1Lc#t=2581

“Becoming a dissident is not something that happens overnight.  You do not simply decide to become one.  It is a long chain of steps and acts.  And very often during this process, you do not really reflect upon what is happening...You don’t want to become involved with the dirt that is around you and one day, all of a sudden you wake up and realize that you are a dissident, that you are a human rights activist.” – Vaclav Havel, former Czech President (1993-2003) & activist

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail.  He can be caught.  He can be killed and forgotten.

But four hundred years later an idea can still change the world.

"...You can't build a dream, without a plan...." -- Jefferson Starship ("It's Not Over", "No Protection" Album, 1987)

#17 cookiecache

cookiecache

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted July 02 2014 - 10:17 AM

Let's start with the basics.

#1. Leatherman Tool. Get one that is the best you can afford.

#2. Zippo lighter & fuel.

#3. Space blanket.

If things turn bad, these three items can save your life. Best of all, they are easy to carry around ~ no item is helpful if you don't have it with you!

Next, add a water filter and some dry snack foods.

A person can not carry around much food and water "just in case", but a bottle of water and bag of trail mix will get you through a few days while searching for supplies, or getting to a well-stocked home base.

Finally, get training! Learn basic survival methods for all four seasons and locations you might encounter. Make sure to learn about gathering wild foods. Learn to shoot a gun (start with a .22 rifle). Practice camping with the basic above items.

The biggest problem in most survival situations is FEAR. Fear can cause people to lose all common sense and ability to reason. People die in the wilderness every year, not because they had nothing to survive with, but rather because they have deep panic and can't reason how to use what they have around them. For example, folks in a car stranded on a remote winter highway will run the car engine for heat rather than using the gas to build a fire. A fire of burning tire's will keep you warm, and can be seen for many miles.

When things turn really bad, you need to be still alive after the first two days. Whether it is a war or flooding, most people lose the first day. Next the people who can't escape the affected area die in large numbers.

It is very important to have the ability to flee the area! In many cases, this is the only way to survive. Be able to survive while traveling light. Do NOT load yourself down with every survival item money can buy.

(Note: a gun can be great item, but in conditions such as rioting or war, it makes you a target.)
Cookiecache :H

#18 scratcho

scratcho

Lifetime Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,731 posts

Posted July 02 2014 - 01:31 PM

A radio with a magneto for charging with a crank. Might be useful to hear what's going on where you aren't.

Euel Gibbons has a series of good books identifying wild plants and one for the seashore. ( of which some are in the cities) that rate edible. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Grocery stores shut--no electricity--marauding hard core gang members & everyday folks also needing what you have--by any means necessary. The will to survive is stronger than any other aspect of our lives.

Gibbons made the statement that the Donner Party was surrounded by unlimited amounts of food, but just didn't know how to use it. Long pig was their last attempt to survive.

He said he could make a dinner(supper?) on any vacant lot in----don't remember the city--and proved it.

I don't really think a catastrophic situation will occur any time soon, but with no control on population and the widening distance between haves and never had-never will haves---you young ins' might see some bad shit com in' down.

#19 Ernesto Apocaloptimisto

Ernesto Apocaloptimisto

self-banned

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationVerde valley, AZ....for now...

Posted July 02 2014 - 09:31 PM

Awesome advice in this thread so far!

Since I've decided to change my last name to Apocaloptimisto...really, I think I should post some of my thoughts here.

This Gerber tool has been the best tool I've ever had. I have a drawer full of broken leathermans and other gerbers and I haven't even bothered to send them in because the one I use every day works so well. It has a remgrit blade that can get through a master lock, chain, chain link, tile, wood...
http://www.gerbergea...ols/MP600_47563

I've thought about this a lot and aside from the bend over and smooch yer browneye byebye plan...which is hilarious....I've only been able to come up with one solution to surviving "doomsday" or "the apocalypse".

It's been my experience that, based upon my access to basic survival needs like food shelter, and community, I can go from either living some kind of perpetual doomsday, hoarding supplies and preparing to shoot zombies, or deciding to use my creative powers and find at least one way to sustainably live in harmony or cooperation with my environment and neighbors without having to sell my life away for someone else's profit. For way too long though, I just wallowed around in a limbo of distraction or frustration. How we choose to experience this manifestation we call life is a choice we all make every day. Right now, there are billions in limbo mode, there are millions in doomsday mode, there are a few million in create a new, free, fair world mode and there are a few thousand in control everyone mode.

So, if the doomsdayers realize that the best way to survive and thrive is to become a creator/cooperator, maybe the combined group can wake up more of the people that are stuck in limbo? Once all realize that the unsustainable control systems and business models of the past aren't necessary anymore, they will fade away. I see and hear so many complain and worry in anger and fear and really wish they would turn that passion into creative power...anyway...

The conclusion that I think I'm comfortable with for now is it might be a good idea to start transitioning back to a tribal, nomadic, self sustaining lifestyle. I'm not going to wait until "doomsday" hits though. Now is as good a time as any to have something resembling real freedom.

Here's my plan to survive doomsday by immediately transitioning to a lifestyle that won't be affected by an economic collapse, riots in the cities, zombies .lol..

1. Build some kind of shelter on wheels that doesn't need fuel, tags, or insurance. It will have solar power, electric assist, amphibious capability, water storage and filtration, wood/propane/solar oven, a hemp rope hammock, and storage for food and gear. It will be extremely off road capable in order to avoid highways/roads/cops/zombies/suvs/teens in tin cans, and built of natural sustainable materials.

Status: Design complete. I have most of the parts/supplies. Purchased an easy up garage today! Build starts Next week!

2: Reforest the desert! ReFood the land! Take the trike up into public lands and foster the growth of edible/useful plants that are native to the area. Do this in a way that no one can tell a human intervened. This is done simply by moving small rocks, sticks, fallen branches, and small amounts of dirt, transplanting struggling saplings to better locations. Do this in small areas and geocache/map it.

For example, here in the desert, we have mesquite trees, which provide shade, fuel for heat, and yummy beans that can be ground up in small quantities in a coffee grinder. There are nopales, prickly pear fruit, cat tails, rattlesnake, rabbits, deer, javelina, quail..a few miles up the hill, there are elk, pinyon nuts, mushrooms.....fish.....and on and on...

There's food everywhere! Even in the desert! And if anything, we've been shirking our steward duties if not being outright destructive. People won't fight over food and money if there's food growing everywhere and people are developing awesome open source diy sustainable technology in their neighborhood hackerspaces...for free......sorry...rant over...it's a happy rant! :love:

3. Get together with other cool people and help them build trikes so they can get around and have an awesome mini rv too.

Status: I have about 40 people on my email list that are very interested in the rv trike project's progress. I think interest will grow when I build the first one and tour around in it. The whole concept is way too foreign to most people with cars and houses. I can't wait to gauge the response in latin america someday!

4. Form some kind of collaborative effort with the goal of setting up permaculture based campgrounds anywhere there's a need for one. They can have central kitchens, gardens, restrooms, art and music studios, and inventor hackerspaces so the camper inventors can help create new sustainable technology so we don't have to give up the comfort/relative safety we have now. Camp fees can be paid in any kind of mutually beneficial value transfer whether it's cash, crypto currency, food, supplies, labor in a community area, consultation, entertainment...whatever works for everybody. Camp fees are based upon the camper's individual space and power needs.

Status: As of last week, I have been cleaning up a few acres and getting ready to host one or two camper/interns. Once we have the septic in, electric ran (for now, because of the location), and water in, which should be next week, we'll be building walls, swales, and planting a mini food forest. The soil is really alkaline and sandy so it will be a challenge but I've done a two year project on the same property and it has lush grass, two thriving pecan trees, a huge mesquite tree, a two year old cherry tree, a huge pumpkin plant, and what I call a peach bush, which is chock full of peaches this year!....Anyway, I know it's possible to reforest this desert!

A few people have expressed interest in camping but no commitments yet. If you're interested and are the type of person that can coexist without others without the need for authority, I'd love to talk!

I think that about covers it!!!! Love you guys! :2thumbsup:

Edited by Ernesto Apocaloptimisto, July 02 2014 - 09:35 PM.
type like caveman talk

#20 penguinsfan13

penguinsfan13

• PipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts

Posted July 03 2014 - 12:13 AM

Stock up on ciggeretts and alcohol.Thats all you need. No seriously thats it.

You then only need to trade with smokers and alcoholics for whatever you want. And them motherfuckers will pay an arm and a leg for their fix.

Click to shop at Weed Seed Shop