Anyone else struggling with self-employment?

Discussion in 'Hip Business Network' started by Hoppípolla, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Hoppípolla

Hoppípolla Senior Member

Not easy, is it?

At least not here in the UK, but I'd assume it doesn't vary tremendously elsewhere.

I find my biggest hurdles are one or more of these three:

- Promotion
    - Competition
    - Red tape

So for example, if I want to sell in the town centre, the main problem is red tape. If I want to sell on eBay, the main problem is competition, and if I want to sell on my own online store or as a service traveling to people's houses, then the main problem is promotion!

What do you guys think about all this stuff? :)

Thanks very much!

Hoppi

10 people like this.
  2. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

What are you trying to sell?

5 people like this.
  3. Hoppípolla

Hoppípolla Senior Member

erm, I just wanted a general discussion about self-employment really.

But I like to sell things like fair trade clothing, herbal remedies, natural and legal highs, sometimes technology is ok... stuff like that.

I like things that are positive for people and/or for the planet.

4 people like this.
  4. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

I think it's safe to say most self employment starts out supplemental... Well before it becomes something that can support your lifestyle... This is obviously not the case for every self employed person though... And with an attitude of "it'll never work... It's too tough... Etc" you may as well just stop with your self employment idea since you've clearly given up already. That's why you make the peanuts while the business you work for reaps the benefits... Because they deal with the red tape and other bullshit needed to run a business.

2 people like this.
  5. Hoppípolla

Hoppípolla Senior Member

I agree about the last comment.

However I haven't given up - I just find it worthwhile to pinpoint what the problems I'm having are, so I can tackle them accurately.

It's a sort of "know your enemy" scenario :)

6. eggsprog

No offence, but it sounds like the problems you are having are basically everything involved in running a business. Legal, marketing, price/competition. If you provide some specifics about what you're trying to do, you may get some responses, but I think that your OP is too vague for anyone to be able to offer you any tangible advice.

7. jo_k_er_man

jo_k_er_man TBD

Maybe read one of those "For Dummies" books on running a business

8. Hoppípolla

Hoppípolla Senior Member

I really didn't want advice or condescension, I just wanted a chat with other people trying to start businesses.

EDIT -- From now on I'll only be replying to posts that seem reasonable, in keeping with the threads purpose, and vaguely polite/friendly :)

9. eggsprog

I don't think myself or joker were being condescending, just offering realistic advice. You list a bunch of problems you're having and then ask what people think, so it reads as if you're looking for advice.

10. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

I quit my job and started my own business back in April of this year. I've been very successful, and actually have to turn people away. I do home daycare, which there is always a high demand for. I suppose your success will ultimately depends on if what you're selling is something people are interested in buying. Also, word of mouth will be your best form of advisement while being self employed. Be the best at what you do, and the rest will fall into place.

1 person likes this.
  11. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

It is nice going to the mail and finding a few hundred $$$ waiting there every few days. Just deposited $500 this morning from a couple days ago and just got another $365 today, with more coming in tomorrow. :D

Our business is tied to the school year and runs for a couple months at a shot, as such income goes up and down. Some months may bring in thousands, and we have had months were we brought in hundreds and a couple with 0 income.
    But all in all it is nice working for yourself and no pre-employment piss test. :2thumbsup:

2 people like this.
  12. Hoppípolla

Hoppípolla Senior Member

Hm, cool :)

I'm glad it worked so well for you! And you're right about ensuring that people are actually interested in what you're selling!

Do you enjoy your business? :)

Wow cool... what do you do?

13. *MAMA*

I love it! It's not always rainbows and butterflies, but I play with legos and build forts for a living. Can't beat that. ;)

14. Hoppípolla

Hoppípolla Senior Member

hm, actually that's quite true lol

15. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I am wondering.

Was it hard to get started in this business? Do you have a college degree? What type of credentials do parents ask for (I feel like parents today are so hyper-competitive! They want their kids to learn Chinese in day care). Also, what sort of profit do you make, after expenses are accounted for (if you don't mind my asking).

Also, how many children you care for on a given day?

16. *MAMA*

It wasn't hard for me at all. I have an associate's degree from back when I was an x-ray med tech. I was actually in pharmacy for 7 years before deciding to start this. Above everything else, parents have told me they just want someone they feel comfortable leaving their kids with. I also do lots of activities, very little tv, and I make mostly organic healthy meals and snack from scratch. I also keep an immaculate house. I charge a flat rate of $500 a month for around the clock, m-f ( which is suuuuper cheap for childcare). Weekends are $40 per child, perday. I spend roughly $150 a month for food, milk, and things for activities.

I have a total of 7 kids enrolled, but I never have more than 4 or 5 at a time.

Some days it's really hard. There will be times when they're all in an awful mood, and it's hard to get through the day. Most days, it's amazing though. Most of them call me mama, and cry when they leave.

1 person likes this.
  17. Hoppípolla

Hoppípolla Senior Member

aw :)

18. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

That really cool Mama but it sounds like you're around kids 24/7...I bet when you party.....you PARTY.

19. *MAMA*

Besides derby, I rarely go out, but yeah... when I do, I go ALL out lol.

20. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

We develop and teach science programs for elementary school kids.

:eek:
    I have seen people who charge half that much per week, and that's not for round the clock, just basically from 6 am-6pm.

You should charge more, if you don't, it could come back to bite you in the ass later.

Did you have to do a background screening, cpr/first aid certified and get state child care provider certification?
    In Ca. you HAVE to be state certified or you can get into LOTS of trouble.