Why I'm Atheist and not Agnostic

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by relaxxx, Oct 19, 2013.

1. andallthatstocome

andallthatstocome not a squid

some of the things we do know outright contradict themselves. How can the electron be both a particle and a wave? why does it still form an interference pattern when you feed electrons one at a time through the two-slit experiment? why does the universe not give a shit about our euclidean conceptions of space and time, and why is it that the act of observing causes a quantum superposition to decohere?

wouldn't the most robust approach to knowledge continuously bear in mind that no system exists in isolation, save the universe itself? Perhaps it might not be appropriate to call it god, due to the historical connotations, but could we argue that the most complete picture of the universe would encompass the universe as a whole? where do you end and the rest of the universe begin?

2. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, just go with it. I agree.

I do want to make something clear. I am still open to any possibility...unless definitely proven otherwise, so I don't say....No, god, for sure, and I know that for a fact. No, I do not say that ever....but I tend to hope not, as that puts something in power of me, and than me in power of something, and I don't want the power over something else, if that makes any sense. I want to think if there is a god, it is in each living thing, too.

3. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

It's a figure of speech girl. Maybe you need to grow some brain cells.

4. Moonglow181

You seem to have some angry energy you want to keep directing at me. Have I done something to you?

5. Gongshaman

I have made two posts in this thread, the first was not directed at you, but at the subject of atheist vs agnostic. That you took it personally is your doing.

The second was a response to your misinterpretation of the metaphor 'grow some balls' and subsequent retort calling into question my "class" That is all.

6. Moonglow181

OK, I better be quit or else the wolf will get me! LOL!

Water under the bridge now. I apologize. I don 't know you enough to know if you have class or not, so that was trite of me.

7. Gongshaman

Thank you :)...and I apologize for my coarseness...:redface:

Oh and she's not a wolf, she's my husky friend. :D

8. Moonglow181

She is beautiful! though, and I do love wolves, too.....

9. I don't call myself an atheist because I like the focus to be more upon the mysterious nature of the universe, as far as my philosophical position goes. However, I don't believe in God. God, by nature, shines a light upon the shortcomings of humanity. God is perfect and we're full of troubles. The idea of a perfect being does nothing to console these troubles. If only this idea of perfection would go away, we could live our lives with much less anxiety. I would argue furthermore that something that produces such anxiety is less than perfect, and therefore God cannot exist.

1 person likes this.
  10. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

I think when you try to observe it as a wave it behaves like a particle and when you try to observe it as a particle it acts like a wave, it somehow goes thru both slits.

It's like particles have a mind of their own and they know when you're watching them. Maybe there's some really wonky stuff goin' on but it will never actually let you see it do that weird stuff cuz every time you try to watch it it appears to act like it should? It's hard to say that there isn't some things that are just beyond our capacity to understand.

I don't think there is any boundary between us, and everything else. We are all one with everything else, made of the same stuff as everything else in the universe just organized differently. When you see a field of grass you don't normally notice where one individual grass plant starts and ends.

If the processes going on in our brains give rise to intelligence, would that mean that the universe itself may be intelligent itself? Could the universe make choices? You may begin to say no, the universe operates according to the laws of physics and every event that occurs can be determined from the conditions of previous events and there's no way a choice could be made it's all just probability. This sounds kinda crazy but consider how we can make choices. We can choose our actions yet we operate according to the laws of physics as well.

11. Gongshaman

I don't see any reason why those things need be mutually exclusive. :confused:

12. They're not, especially. I guess I could be an atheist AND whatever I am. I really like to focus upon how everything doesn't make sense, though. That's what I think is important, and calling myself an atheist doesn't really give a good impression of what I'm really all about. I'm reticent to call myself a Dudeist, because that's kind of a joke.

13. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

Are you saying you believe atheists don't find anything the least bit mysterious?

14. No, not at all. But the focus of atheism isn't upon the mysterious. It's more or less upon the rational. Or at least that's how it seems to me.

1 person likes this.
  15. Moonglow181

Interestging, Ace. I noticed that, too....When you expect something to behave as it usually does, the complete opposite happens! It is those nano particles that we cannot measure according the the String theorists, that do not follow any rules of physics at all....but just do what they hell they want to! LOL!
    :)
    I write simply, I know...It is the child writer that I am, too, but I think I get my points across, too.

16. Gongshaman

There are two kinds of Dudeists, ones that basically really dig the movie and like to dress up as the characters, attend lubowski fest and what not.

The other is basically Taoist. Among other things attempts to keep a light attitude and not sweat bogus impositions like societal concepts of success or achievement. Just be yourself and "abide". No one thing matters more than any other thing...

Dudeist priests also preach non-preachyness and practice as little as possible.:2thumbsup:

17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

The more you think about it the less sense it makes to call yourself something explicit.

18. Gongshaman

Yeah, it's funnier to call yourself a Dudeist ...Pastafarian is a good one too. :D

19. I guess I'm a Dudeist, but I've only seen the movie once. I feel like a poser. I'll have to watch it again tonight. White Russians are my favorite drink.

20. Moonglow181

OK, both of these words are wrong for me, then. See, I learn something new every day. I am simply a free thinker, and I do like the secular humanist approach to things. It is not up to any higher power to fix things for us. It is up to our ownselves.