what is in your pack?

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by ywarpeace, Oct 16, 2013.

1. ywarpeace

ywarpeace Ye Old Soul

so i was just looking online at some different ultra-light gear and found myself thinking about what others have for gear and how much (weight), food, etc. etc.

2. Skooky

Skooky Member

my pack is extremely light these days as I am living, trying to live in an old camper trailer for the winter. This isn't my pack pack just a tramping through the woods bag really.

Peterson field guide to wild edible plants.
    a knife or 3
    multi tool
    several pine cones
    old bird nest
    lighter
    a couple plastic baggies
    some toilet paper
    fish stringer
    ice pick
    piece of canvas
    some rope and string
    small fleece blanket
    2 pr socks
    soup can
    tea bags and tea ball strainer
    little sugar

peace and safe travels

3. ywarpeace

ywarpeace Ye Old Soul

lol pine cones and birds nest? ya lately ive been looking into ultra-igh backpacking only thing is i have the military issued backpack that they use in iraq and afghanistan...my mentality is if they carry it i can carry it

4. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Senior Member

Hello,

I think I have a pine cone somewhere in my jacket, too ;). And sometimes I also carry a bird's nest. I usually don't have a lighter or matches with me, but flint and steel. That's when a bird's nest becomes handy ;).

Regards
    Gyro

5. ywarpeace

ywarpeace Ye Old Soul

lol thanks for joggin my memory i forgot about fire duh!

6. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

it's about 2 degree centigrade in my area and we have a snow and rain mix coming down. You better don't forget fire if you are out in the woods ;).

Regards
    Gyro

7. ywarpeace

ywarpeace Ye Old Soul

its second nature i forget about it...

i found this lightweight stove online its got some good reviews and everything its a stove that burns kindling and converts heat into usable power that u can plug a phone or ipod into i was thinking of getting it just wondering what some of you think about it....its the BioLite Campstove $130 and Kettle Pot $50

as of yet my pack is the MOLLE II desert pack (im looking to get the 4TH gen frame and sustainment pouches)

a black painters cloth tarp
    suisse sport sleeping bag
    200ft of 550lb paracord (need more)
    a coleman tent
    secret firestarters
    stuff bag ziplocs etc....im trying use military gear any ideas let me know

8. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

well, I work with high tech all day, so I don't need electricity in the woods ;). Usually I have a Trangia type alcohol burner and a bigger metall cup with me. That's enough to make coffee and a small meal like Ramen noodles. If I'm allowed to make an open fire I use that instead of the alcohol burner.

There are some small companies that build basic hobo stoves that can be folded for transportation. The cheapest usable one I found in my area is 30 Euros, which for the sake of simplicity is more or less the same in US$. Some time ago I built one from a soup can. It was fast and easy to build and worked well for me. But I don't use it anymore because it's still the size of a soup can ;).

Sorry, I can't be specific on that, I'm not a gear head ;). I have some paracord in my pack, a knife made of high carbon steel, flint and steel, a swedish fire steel (don't buy the cheap replicas at ebay. I tried that a few times and the quality range is huge. I was disappointed every time.), a first aid kit, a small folding saw, coffee, dried pea soup and lots of stuff I like to play with. For the knives I like the Mora products. They are cheap and of good quality. You can do rough work with them and if you lost one it's no biggy because they are cheap.

For the military gear, well, I have no clear opinion on that. I've used surplus before. But military gear tends to be heavy and sometimes clothes, sleeping bags etc. might be impregnated with nasty chemicals.

Regards
    Gyro

9. ywarpeace

ywarpeace Ye Old Soul

ya ive used 'hobo' stoves before and ive used just a plain old flat rock for meat or eggs i find...the only reason im looking at the biolite stove is because i dont want to carry batteries if im going on 3 month trip or whatever that way i can get a usb headlamp or flashlight to plug in and charge

10. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

make sense. How do they work? Peltier elements?

Regards
    Gyro

11. ywarpeace

ywarpeace Ye Old Soul

well here are the product details....

Fast to boil: 4.5 minutes to boil 1 liter of water
    Fire power output (peak): 3.4 kw (lo) 5.5 kw (hi)
    USB power output: Max continuous: 2W @5V, Peak: 4W @5V
    Compatible Devices: Most USB-chargeable devices including smartphones
    Fuel: Burns sticks, pine cones, pellets and other biomass
    Packed size: Height 8.25 inches, Width 5 inches
    Weight: 2 lbs 1 oz / 935 grams
    Pot weight limit: 8 lbs or 1 gallon of liquid
    Materials: Stainless steel, aluminum, plastic

The heat from the fire generates electricity via a thermoelectric generator to power a fan creating airflow for improved combustion. Surplus electricity is sent to the USB port for charging devices.

12. S&L

S&L Member

a victorinox lock blade, 3 credit cards, a phone card, approx 1 grand in various bills,
    my cell, truck keys.

13. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

2 fones, overkill of adaptors, earpieces. 1 piece longunderwear. Abt 4 pair long sox. 2 pair ankle length. Abt 3 capri length pants. 1 pair short pants. Abt 2 boxer underwear. Abt 4 pair jockies. I prefer jockies. The boxers fit beter over long underwear, as do th anklelength sox. 2 pair tanktops.abt 3 golf shirts. Abt 3 flannel shrts. 1 vest. A long denim coat. Raincoat. Zipoff rainpants. Hikn boots. Sandals, slippers. Scissors, vinegar for deodorant foldin toothbrsh. Sleepn bag cotton futon cover. Sometimes i carry spork. Dentalfls. Various tools which vary. Housekeys. Windup flashlight.