Spirit Animal?

Discussion in 'Weird, Bizarre and Mysterious' started by whitterbug2012, Oct 11, 2013.

1. whitterbug2012

whitterbug2012 Member

Recently I've started running about a mile every morning down to the lake near our house. There are some stairs that lead into the water from a sunken dock or something and I always go down as far as I can to sit, relax, and catch my breath before I run back. Yesterday I saw what looked like an otter with a little white spot on his chest, but he was really small for an otter. I looked up the type of animals we had in this area and this little guy didn't match any of them...he was closest to a river otter, but they are somewhat scarce here as far as I know. He was playing and running around me for a good ten minutes, kept coming up to me and looking at me.
    I told my boyfriend about him and he said it could've been my spirit animal. Otters are apparently special in Celtic and Native American cultures, so if it is my spirit animal it would make sense that it would be an otter. We went back to see if he was still there and he wouldn't come out.
    I went back this morning and he came back out. This time he had an empty mussel he had picked clean and kept nudging it too me so I took it home with me.

Any of you heard of/looked into spirit animals? Have any of you ran into your spirit animals or just had something similar happen with an extremely friendly animal?

2. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Owl, Crow.

Had close encounters with both.

You're probably onto something there.

3. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

My spirit animal is the dog in my sig pic.

4. BlackBillBlake

A handsome dog that.

5. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

I can relate with the dogs attitude.

6. BlackBillBlake

I'm happy to hear that. That's a proper dog. My bro used to have a pack of 5 lurchers (a gypsy english breed) they were amazing. But they killed a cat, and that upset me.
    They also killed many rabbits, and a few foxes, but that left me unmoved. Weird creatures we humans.
    I guess I am closer to the cat.

If you want the advice of a foolish old man, don't relate too much with the anti cat attitude all doge have, or vica versa.:)

I can't think of many animals I don't like, maybe scorpions, cockroaches and things like that.

7. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I feel connected to many animals, but I couldn't say one or another is my actual spirit animal.

I've had a few very unofficial drug induced vision quests but be never been contacted. Probably because I'm not doing it right. I would love to do a legit vizion quest, any it's on my bucket list for sure, but I know it won't be an easy venture. I want to do it in the high Rockies and preferably with a Ute guide. But it's not easy for a white man to walk into a reservation and get an authentic experience. It will take some time. I have a friend who did it and it took over a month to gain trust before they would answer any of his questions. I think he went to the Sioux.

8. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

mine seems to change on a weekly basis but there are those that always frequent me such as the hawk and crow. this week i has a bizarre looking red dragonfly land on my arm and he wouldnt budge. =]

9. Justin_Hale

Justin_Hale ( •_•)⌐■-■ ...(⌐■_■)

Keep it to remember him, or give it to someone who needs a smile. :)

Have you thought about giving something back in trade, like a toy or something..

I've heard otters like toys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJjeG4ZFn6E&feature=player_embedded"]Baby Otter Sidney playing - YouTube

10. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Crow and cat... I have one of each. But, yeah, they do come and go usually with a message or a lesson.

That little guy thinks you're special giving you a shell and all.

11. whitterbug2012

whitterbug2012 Member

I did keep it. I didn't go for a run yesterday or today because my boyfriend's kids were here. I hope he'll be there tomorrow, I just might try and bring him something.:)

I looked up what the lessons associated with the otter and it's things like being playful and not letting stuff get you down...and being in touch with your feminine side or being faithful. I'm going to assume it was to remind me to say happy and all that jazz since I'm pretty girly and faithfulness isn't an issue when you're happy with the person.

12. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

You might enjoy reading "Ring of Bright Water" by Gavin Maxwell.

13. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Very interesting thread.

I agree that this little otter must be your special spirit animal, and I'd like to hear about what happens when you take him a present.

I love all animals...the cat is my spirit animal.

14. LetLovinTakeHold

I don't think anyoneherehas the same idea as I do about what a spirit anima is, and how you find out what it is. I was always taught that the only way your spirit animal is exposed is on a vision quest, and it presents itself to you through visions. You don't get to pick which one.

15. Tyrsonswood

But they can pick you... Or you can have one from a vision that later comes to you in the flesh. What dictates a modern vision quest?

16. LetLovinTakeHold

The same thing that dictates an ancient vision quest.

I suppose I'm using the technical definition used by Native Ameicans, which probably isn't even an option for your average whitey. You go into the wilderness without food or drink and you fast and meditate until your spirit animal makes itself known to you.

Each tribe has different requirements as far as preparation, time spent fasting, time spent in solitary, etc. Its a common misconception that Natives used psychadelic drugs to enhance their visions, but most look at that as a short cut taking away validity. Most tribes also won't recognize vision quests unless led by a credited guide to show you the way.

I mean, sure its fun to say that a cat (or whatever else) is your spirit animal, but unless you've completed a real vision quest, it's just a white mans novelty and doesn't hold any spiritual significance. It's also somewhat of an insult to Native tribes that practice this sacred ceremony and those who have gone through the real experience.

17. LetLovinTakeHold

It's like mass produced dream catchers from China.....they're cute and all, but there not real.

Having a deep connection with a specific animal or a type of animal is not the same thing as ones spirit animal. Saying so is an example of the white man trivializing Native American culture.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer here, but I spent some time in my youth with the Utes and Pueblos and have formed a huge respect for Native culture. I don't take these things lightly.

18. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I say the cat is my power animal...well, I said spirit animal earlier but I meant power animal...because my spirit guide told me.

I was also "told" I have a special connection with deer, but that cat would help me maintain inner strength and was my power animal.

19. Tyrsonswood

I don't take these things lightly either. But being "whitey" I can't claim them as my own. I had to search very far back in my own mixed northern european heritage to find a time when my own tribes must have done similar. Just that period of time in my life, the searching, was soul crushing, life changing, and was, although not technically a Native American traditional ceremony, it was a quest and vision came out of it. This has become part of my spirituality. There have been others in my life that were as intense, some with "drugs" many without, and I live my life very different than "whitey". I honor all the old ways including the Native American, but I don't pretend to be that which I am not.

My comment was not to belittle the Native American tradition but to see something in a different light. Call it something else if you must but there are other forms of "questing for vision" in other contexts.

Drifting off topic so back to spirit animals... The two I mentioned, cat and crow have been gifted to me in real life, maybe the term "familiar" should be used now, but before this those two were my guides in vision many times. The three of us have been through a lot this year... Kind of like a rising out of the ashes. Literally.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

20. jaredfelix

jaredfelix Namaste ॐ

IMHO I totally DISAGREE with LLTH.. for I believe my SPIRIT intrigues different creatures on different days and come check me out and when i read about their medicine its just too uncanny...