Camping in the tropics

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by AquaLight, Oct 6, 2013.

1. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

So I am headed out to SE Asia for 4 to 6 months. Bought a nice 100 ltr rucksack, a tent and sleeping bags.. Now the plan is to go island hopping/camping mostly in Thailand and Cambodia, and of course the less tourists on the island the better...
    I never really had an authentic camping in the wild experience being a city ass and all, so what to do you think I should look out for ? Have you had any such experience, any places in SE Asia you would recommend ?

2. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

Do you have a decent insect repellent?

I think Koh Phi Phi Leh is supposed to be great to camp on. But I have never done SE Asia unless Singapore or Hong Kong count. Just northern Asia. Have a great time!

3. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Watch out for snakes!
    [​IMG]

4. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

...and scorpions

[​IMG]

5. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

I think i'll have to buy one locally, the insects in Eastern Europe are probably used to a different poison than in SE Asia :D
    Hong Kong is awesome, been there twice..but its quite expensive for me.
    Oh yeah, i am not sure how I can scare away these creeps but hey, most stings, bites are treatable I guess.
    :leaving:

6. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

Heh, tent in SE Asia? You can get a nice room for $10.. I've been to a lot of islands in Thailand, not sure where you'd go about camping on any of them..

7. bird_migration

bird_migration ~

Yes agreed. Just stay in cheap rooms. $10 is already quite expensive for a room, you can easily get by on $10 a day, including room, food, drinks and entertainment.

The only 'camping' I did in SEA was tying a hammock between two trees, other than that I just couldn't be bothered. Be careful of your belongings though.
    Camping on the islands in Thailand isn't something I would recommend. The only camping I'd consider is in the wilderness, but for that you really would need to go around on motorbike or hitchhiking or so.

Oh and ditch the sleeping bag. Just extra useless weight and space. Get a thin blanket, that's more than enough.

8. Jimmy P

When did you last go to Thailand? Hard to find a room for less than 300 baht on the islands now.

In Cambodia I found $2 rooms and even free rooms. But that was 5 or 6 years ago.

And yeah, you will definitely not need a sleeping bag.. I would normally sleep naked with no blanket at all, and still be too hot.

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

What about a good water filter Bird?

[​IMG]

10. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

Its not possible to find $10 rooms anymore, maybe just somewhere in Bangkok, but on the islands like ko Tarutao for example, renting a government tent will cost like $20 , as opposed to bringing your own which would cost you only the renting space which is like $1 per day. I guess you are right about the sleeping bag, but with the hammock, isn't it more risky getting bit by a snake or scorpions?
    I am also worried about theives so I guess staying farther from the beach the better.

11. Jimmy P

You can definitely still find $10 rooms. In Bangkok you can still find $5 rooms.

And you won't get snakes or scorpions in a hammock, only flying bugs, ants and cats.

And definitely do not stay on the beach, in some areas there are locals who prowl the beaches at night for passed-out tourists, and they'll have knives and scissors with them so they can cut off/open your bag if necessary.

In my 4 years of staying in Thailand I don't believe I ever met a single person who camped in a tent, except for a night or two in a national/marine park.

12. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

I would never camp in Bangkok lol..I'll be couch surfing there most likely.
    The area I plan to camp in is actually a marine park. Its gonna be one hell of an experience :) I also plan to kayak my way there. :2thumbsup: its been done before by very very few people.