• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 JayInTheLife

JayInTheLife

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted November 09 2014 - 11:04 AM

I started contracting out graphic design services as a multi-disciplinary designer. I found it was far too broad. So if I might make a suggestion, limit yourself to a certain area of service and focus on that. I really like the suggestion about the cleaning service marketed towards homosexuals. Funny, but I do think it is a marketable service.

Looking forward, I will probably get back into the design services. I have thought more thoroughly this time and know I will focus on Logo/Brand identity design.

#32 NojuanEspecial

NojuanEspecial

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, US

Posted February 04 2015 - 04:33 PM

Don't stop at one income source. If you wanted to slave away to make just one job pay meet all your needs you'd get a 9-5, right? So don't. The more types of income you have the less stressful (even if you lose one job, you have others), more free and overall better off you will be.

First of all, get a truck or a cargo van. It's almost an essential if you don't want a 9-5 job.

Work a couple days at a regular job, like delivering pizzas or mc donalds, whatever, for taxes.

Then take your truck and make money with it. Post offers to haul things on craigslist, do scrapping, go to uship.com an dother sites like it and bid on hauling gigs.

Find anything renewable you can make/sell and sell it:

If you have your own property, grow food on it and sell everything extra at the flea market on weekends.

if you have a large property, build a simple barn and offer horse owners grazing time. If you have a barn or a garage, find a mechanic friend and let him fix vehicles out of your garage.

If you have any skills, sell them online. Advertise yourself as a handyman or whatever you can do, job by job based on your wants not someone's timeclock.

Buy chickens and rent out chickens to people(google rent a chicken if you think I'm joking). Sell eggs. Sell chickens or other small livestock such as goats.

Start a fish or shrimp farm.

Put solar panels on your property and sell power back to the city/county you live in.

There are a million DIY How-To videos on youtube. A "job" is literally anything that you do that is income, so if you're creative you can have as many or as few jobs as you need/want.

Just find something that you would enjoy, or at least not mind, doing and learn how to monetize it.

#33 -Yggdrasil-

-Yggdrasil-

Einherjar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 973 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted February 04 2015 - 04:45 PM

I was self employed for close to two years and in the end it just wasn't working. I had to contract myself out so although I was "self employed" I was really only my own staff, not my own boss, I was still contractually obligated complete my service agreements.

My company was earning a decent amount but the amount I could only pay myself was very little, basically almost 20k drop from previous job. They'd taken advantage of my naivety, work ethic and enthusiasm I showed for the job. I started to work out only a few months in that it was happening but after forking out the money to start the business and buy a van etc. (courier job) I thought I'd hold on and hopefully pull ahead.

I was offered this new beaut role which was pretty good I admit but it soon turned into a 11-13 hour day for which I was not paid for 4hrs and expected to be awake ready to go at roughly 3am for no pay.

Eventually I tucked my tail between my legs and got the fuck out of it, landed a warehouse job for 15k more and only 8hrs a day.

Although it was professionally and in terms of career wise the worst mistake of my life I did grow up personally and it taught me a lot of lessons very quickly. I went from a straight arrow nice guy etc. to an absolute fucking cunt and a jerk and now I'm not afraid to stand up for myself etc. that's the positive that came from it.
Take heed for I am weary, ancient and decrepit now and my time grows short. Assail me not with noble policy for I care not at all for platitude and surrender such tedious details to greater minds than mine and nimbler tongues singular in their purpose and resolve and presuming to speak for every man.

#34 LeChatVert

LeChatVert

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam, Holland

Posted March 22 2015 - 07:30 PM

Affilate programs can be done by people without any skills

You bascially can set up websites linking amazon products and get a small cut 

#35 OddApple

OddApple

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted March 22 2015 - 08:22 PM

Clean foods demand is rising and sources diminishing atm...
About anything sellable you grow is growing
"To give organizations precedence over persons is to subordinate ends to means. What happens when ends are subordinated to means was clearly demonstrated by Hitler and Stalin. Under their hideous rule personal ends were subordinated to organizational means by a mixture of violence and propaganda, systematic terror and the systematic manipulation of minds. In the more efficient dictatorships of tomorrow there will probably be much less violence than under Hitler and Stalin. The future dictator's subjects will be painlessly regimented by a corps of highly trained social engineers."
Sound like any Obama/UN cartels we know?

#36 sandybrooke

sandybrooke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationBucks County, pa

Posted August 05 2015 - 04:53 PM

When i was young ( 25) my then wife & I where in a consignment shop that sold children's clothes. The women was unhappy in this business & we bought it for $3000.00  /  Now, she owned no merchandise ( consignment)  so we bought the name & lease.  I stuck my mother-in-law in there because she was a pain in the ass & made about $12,000.00  a year.   This was in 1984.    We clothed our kids for free.  

#37 scratcho

scratcho

Lifetime Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,731 posts

Posted August 05 2015 - 06:35 PM

Advertising as a clean-up business seems to work. ( don't do it) Cleaning overgrown yards, garages, hauling junk off peoples property. people get rid of decent things sometimes, which can be sold or kept.

Click to shop at FS Books