RVing with Infant?

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by Emilyceratops, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Emilyceratops

Emilyceratops Guest

My husband and I have been vandwelling for about a year. Although we have been quite content with where we are, we are having to reconsider our lifestyle due to some unexpected news: I am pregnant.

My husband and I love our life on the road. How difficult would it be to raise a child in an RV? I have read stories of families who have successfully raised children on the road. Does anybody have any opinions/advice on the subject?

2. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

congrats on the pregnancy..i have several kids and grandkids..........I couldn't see living on the road with a baby being easy...that's for sure..

you will need to use disposable diapers because cloth diapers full of poop in a van will be extremely smelly.they are real expensive..........

what will happen if the kid wont brestfeed?...not all kids do..

good luck with whatever you decide:)

3. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Don't know how often you move around and how much you are more set up at a specific campground (or where ever you park).. but you can def. make it happen but you may have to be parked at a campground (or where ever) for longer periods of time at once... (babies are awake all the time and eat all the time, etc, so driving all the time... prolly not too good). Good luck ...and congrats! :D

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I agree with AT that you couldn't really be on the road for long stretches of time, but if you can park for a few days at a time I don't really see it being difficult. Babies are pretty basic, especially if you breastfeed. A baby just needs constant love, attention, and boobies, all of which are pretty easy to provide no matter where you are. This is probably the best time to do it, actually, as an older kid might need more stability and structure.

5. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Congratulations!! A van might be a little difficult but an RV should be good. Raising children is difficult and stressful no matter where you are. An traditional home has stress and complications that life on the road would not and vice versa. So long as you can provide food, clothing, love and happiness thats what's important. If you and your partner are happy and healthy then your child will be as well.

With that said I think something like an RV would be better as a van gives an impression of homelessness. You don't want well intentioned but misguided people invading your privacy.

Hope things work out for you and you guys live the life you want.

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

The biggest obstacle I see is driving days. Some kids go through phases where they want to be held every moment. Add a carseat to that? Yuk.

But if you stay someplace for a few months, then go somewhere else, with only a day or two long haul driving every month or two....totally doable.

So are cloth diapers. Five-gallon bucket with a functioning lid, big boxes of baking soda, minimal water. Voila!
    If you have water in the bucket on the drive days, that is soaking and agitation.
    While this helps with the laundry, if you have to pay for a cycle to rinse the diapers out, washing gets expensive. And I highly suggest drying in a machine, unless you can have them on a line all day. The blast of heat is one more sanitation point.

7. CandiiRainbow

CandiiRainbow Member

I have 2 kids but not on the road yet (going next year and theyll be 4 and 18-24 months then)

Cloth diapers should be easy, I'd suggest looking up "bucket washer" .. we use that system with all our laundry and its really very easy, PUL-bags also keep diapers from smelling (water resistant an breathable)

Also wraps, sling or other carriers are the best thing that has been invented for babies ! (they never replace car seats!) so there is no need for a big baby carriage :)

8. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

so im guessing you're keeping the child? or you have the option not to, if you want RVing to be way easier. just keep options open, don't let yourself get trapped.

9. blinkin

blinkin Senior Member

I raised two kids on buses, my eldest daughter started when she was 1 my son when he was 5 months, my son started walking on a moving bus in new mexico at 7 months old... its very easy... I would settle for a few months first though. I have been threw the ins and outs on this one, any specific questions?