Gender divison in two opposites is greatest mistake of mankind

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by surgeongirl, Aug 24, 2013.

1. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

Haha, I actually remember it. I used to be fused together with an other. We had one body but two heads. We did NOT get along (and we still don't). We never will. Anyway, there was a "plan" that we needed to experience being born. So a spark separated the uni-pairs. I even remember the person I made a soul contract with. She needed somebody to birth her and I agreed to do that for her. Which I did.

Life is *so* strange.

2. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

life isnt the only thing!

3. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

What else is there besides life? Dinosaurs come to mind.. but that's part of life. They're still strange, though.

4. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

i guess the simple answer would be souls...
    another answer would be thoughts.
    both as far as we know need life... but that cant be proven, and neither of them are actually life, so i will just say them two and move on to the next fun comment.

5. Lafincoyote

Lafincoyote Member

Many Native American cultures recognized 4 different genders. When we were defeated and enslaved by the whites they taught us that woman was created from a man's rib bone. Just how weird is that?

6. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

If the rib cage protects the vital organs and gives form and structure to an upright body, then I think the meaning is: man is dependent on woman to keep him supported and his vitality protected.. since she's the "missing piece" of his ribs, so to speak.

7. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

But I think the white myth of the stork bearing the gift of the new child was developed from two genders. :mickey:

8. RandomVegan

RandomVegan Member

agreed with the rest of your stuff but not this. There are two opposing SEXES which can have appearances in different members that approach each others AND someof us are intersexed. :)

on the other hand GENDER is a broad spectrum that people may express anywhere along the spectrum from male to female (and some don't even have a single point on the spectrum that their gender ends up and they change day to day or during life).

also SEX does not determine gender, your physical being does NOT determine who you are.

9. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

That's one of my pet peeves .. using the word sex to specify gender. Any time I have to fill out a form that asks my information, if the word sex is used I cross it out and write in gender. I'm the female gender, not the female sex. Saying "the female sex" or "the male sex" is nonsensical in my mind. My genitals are female so my gender is female. We don't have sexitals .. we have genitals. The genitalia indicates the gender.

10. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

some words have more than one meaning, some meanings have more than one word.

11. RandomVegan

RandomVegan Member

not what I was getting at at all. Sex ~= Gender nor do genitals = gender. I know quite a few people who's genitals don't match their gender. (I also note you state you are XX, when did you get a chromosome test?)

12. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

I know what you're getting at. But to me, gender is the more accurate word when specifying one's anatomy. It really bothers me when asked what "sex" I am. I'm not a "sex" and I don't have a "sex". I'm a gender .. the female gender .. which is symbolized by XX.

The word "sex" in place of gender drives me bonkers.

13. RandomVegan

RandomVegan Member

that is the old idea - your physiology specifies your gender. The problem is it invalidates the experience of a whole lot of people. Their gender has nothing to do with their anatomy - also stating 'XX' implies you knoow specifics about your body that most have not been tested for.

Some of us don't even fit the Binary definition of "sex" as well as not fitting binary "gender" - one being our physiology (usually declared in binary form at birth, though some are now allowing for the third actual declaration even at birth rather than having the parents/doctors decide which binary option to select) - and again "gender" being the word for experience of who we are in the mind.

the basic difference "sex" as a noun refers to something totally different from "sex" as a verb - this occurs often in language.

14. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

RandomVegan

While I can appreciate your individuality and uniqueness as a human being, could you please either select a larger font or a different font color. The combination of font style/color make it harder to read for some of us optically challenged members.
    and you can see it doesn't show very well when quoted.

otherwise I generally agree with you, gender identification is not only determined by secondary and tertiary sexual characteristics and there can be opposing "sexual identities", for some people, one gender based, one genital based.

15. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

Gender has *everything* to do with anatomy. Is it a boy or a girl? The *genitals* are the indicator of *gender*.

One can feel like a man but have female genitalia. They're physically female because of their female genitals. Whatever they feel or believe about themselves is a different matter.

One can feel like a woman but have male genitalia. They're physically male because of their male genitals. Whatever they feel or believe about themselves is a different matter.

Genitals = Gender.

Sex is not gender. Gender is not sex.

Sex is a thing people *DO* with their genitals. But they're not using their sex to be sexual .. they're using their *genitals* to be sexual.

If people have surgery to change their genitals to match what they feel, they're not changing their sex. They're changing their genitals (and thereby .. changing their gender).

16. RandomVegan

RandomVegan Member

better? also disengaing from the conversation - while I am a RadFem, not going to continue to ague with a TERF

17. ginalee14

ginalee14 eternity

What's a terf?

18. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Much better, our eyes thank you. :mickey:

TERF?

19. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. RandomVegan

RandomVegan Member

Urban Dictionary
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=terf

TERF
    Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist. That group of feminists that claims that trans women aren't really women, as biological determinism is only a fallacy when it used against them, not when they use it against others.

Here is a Trans* Womons blog entry on it (never heard of this person a friend showed this to me)

I’ve noticed that there seems to be some confusion about what a TERF* is so, here’s a quick guide to help you figure out if you’re a TERF. Chances are that you’re a TERF if you believe that you’re a feminist when you…
    1.) Claim that transwomen are cismen, that transmen are ciswomen and purposefully misgender transpeople.

2.) Out transpeople to employers.

and 18 more points

http://www.transadvocate.com/you-might-be-a-terf-if_n_10226.htm