Genetically Modified Food

Discussion in 'The Future' started by FinShaggy, Aug 20, 2013.

1. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I haven't seen anyone mention pesticide producing plants. Plants genetically modified to produce pesticide within its own tissues.

How on Earth does that sound safe to eat?

The biggest problem I see is the complete lack of legitimate testing. If its safe on all fronts then fine......prove it before you shove I down our throats and inject it in our environment.

Also, if GMOs are such a great thing, why are companies fighting labeling. It seems like if they are so proud of their accomplishments they wouldn't hesitate to show us what they've done.

2. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

This is my other issue. If organic food companies are required to label their product, GM companies should have to do the same.

3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Oh no you don't!! You'd be slowing the money down to the fabled military(not so much) INDUSTRIAL complex. (so much). What 'er ya'? A commie? JK-----

4. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

GM and Monsanto are all part of "the man." Burn it!

:D

5. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

Lol, no. The world is the way it is to kill off 2 Billion people.

And why would you hide behind good morals against Monsanto, when you really believe that people should starve and that's why GMOs shouldn't be used? That's just ridiculous.

6. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

Dude, YOU guys are talking about Monsanto. I'M talking about 40 years ago, and what WE can do in the future.

@Everyone
    PLEASE TRY TO WRAP YOUR HEAD AROUND ^^THIS^^

7. LetLovinTakeHold

What was goin on 40 years ago is irrelevant when talking about the future of GMOs. You're supporting Monsanto by supporting GMOs today. Until you can wrap your head around that this discussion is pointless.

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0q4o58pKwA"]Sam Kinison World Hunger - YouTube

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I mentioned the bt toxin earlier in the thread.....self producing pesticides and herbicides are definitely my biggest concern with GMs, aside from environmental impact.

If you're talking 40 years ago you are talking selective breeding.

If you are talking modern GMOs, you are talking Monsanto and maybe smaller companies that are doing the exact same thing Monsanto is doing.

I'm not entirely sure you know what you are talking about, to be honest.

10. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

See, that is simply NOT TRUE.

GMOs are their own thing. The doctor on South Park that told Cartman his dad was his mom was making GMOs. (Splicing genes into animals to give them more asses)

Just because Monsanto is what people have DECIDED represents GMOs does not make it true. And I even have evidence of misconception. Watch the video I posted before if you don't believe me.

In the 70s Africa rejected crops that helped Mexico, because rich 1st world people like EVERYONE arguing with me in this thread, went to Africa and convinced those governments that GMOs are poison...

And now they have convinced most of our generation that they are poison... But it simply is not true. Monsanto may be bad, but GMOs are not.

11. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

1. Awesome, I'm just talking about genes that make stuff bigger.

2. Nope, watch this video... GMOs are older than you think...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEBtO25xW-o"]Greatest Man to Ever Live: Norman Borlaug - YouTube

Selective breeding goes back to 1930-40, GMOs came about around the 60s.

12. LetLovinTakeHold

My bad. I thought you were talking about pesticide/herbicide resistant crops, not producing.

BINGO

13. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

YES IT HAS.

In the 70s Norman got a Nobel Peace prize, and was credited with ONE BILLION HUMAN LIVES.

Without GMOs we would only have 5 billion people on the planet today.

14. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

Oops, double post.

15. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Permaculture would be the best way forward for sustainable arable farming...It is labour intensive,but that's a good thing because some people could get employed.Mono-style agriculture of big prairies is not a good use of land,especially for wildlife habitats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permaculture

( The article states that permaculture requires reduced labour,but I would dispute that.)

16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

1 - then you should really be very specific because GMOs is a huge blanket term.

2 - every piece of literature I've ever read said GMs came about in the 80s and 90s.

17. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Why??

All this stuff IS GARBAGE,NOT SAFE TO CONSUME AND SHOULD BE DESTROYED!!

A good link: www.realfarmacy.com/40-

18. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

There are some people who just can't be helped. If you hand out food to a million starving impoverished people you are not changing the quality of their life in the long run. All you are doing is giving them enough nutrition to turn themselves into 2 million starving impoverished people.

If your model of sustainable food relies on any fossil fuels then you're in for a rude awakening down the road when oil wells dry up and all the population that has bloated into existence from the industrial age starve to death. There will be no technology GMO's or otherwise to save these billions of people.

19. odonII

odonII O

20. FinShaggy

FinShaggy Banned

1. EXACTLY, it's a HUGE blanket term. So why the fuck would you assume I'm talking about the bad ones when I speak about fixing world hunger???

2. Well, I'm sorry about that. But go ahead and watch a Norman Borlaug documentary, or even just read about him. He started ALL that shit, around the 30s-40s he was doing selective breeding, he starting mixing DNA in the 60s or 70s, and helped many third world countries before and during that time.